The Packers have only one QB

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is Brett upset?

The only QB on the Packers' active roster is Aaron Rodgers.

They were down to one QB when they cut Jerry Babb.
It is not as if the Packers have signed any other QB's.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They haven't signed any of their draft picks yet but they will before camp so they're reserving the room for Brohm and Flynn. Without NFL Europe they lost 5-6 spots on the roster also.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Brian Brohm
And Flynn

They'll probably put Favre at the bottom of the list.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brohm and Flynn are not on the active roster.

Yet...

I mean, they're pretty much guaranteed spots right now because there's no on one else on the active roster. No one says they can't keep 4 QB's or move one to the practice squad.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is Brett upset?

2 rookie backups, wow. Prepare yourselves for 4-12 or 6-10. Hey, Rodgers could prove me wrong. Big ben played well his first year, Tom Brady did too, Kurt Warner did. But 9/10 times, first year starters are lost out there. They end up getting benched, hurt, or leading their teams to high draft picks. Thats the norm. With the circus in town the way it is and all the pressure on him, i'm leaning towards a very bad season.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Why is Brett upset?

2 rookie backups, wow. Prepare yourselves for 4-12 or 6-10. Hey, Rodgers could prove me wrong. Big ben played well his first year, Tom Brady did too, Kurt Warner did. But 9/10 times, first year starters are lost out there. They end up getting benched, hurt, or leading their teams to high draft picks. Thats the norm. With the circus in town the way it is and all the pressure on him, i'm leaning towards a very bad season.

I love optimistic people.

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Why is Brett upset?

Rodgers has sat for 3 years. QBs who have sat tend to do well, CPepp, Delhomme, Palmer, Young, Garrard, Brady, Romo, Big Ben etc.

eap33

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
Why is Brett upset?

Rodgers has sat for 3 years. QBs who have sat tend to do well, CPepp, Delhomme, Palmer, Young, Garrard, Brady, Romo, Big Ben etc.

Agreed. It's not like he's being thrown into starting without any knowledge of or experience in playing at the NFL level. Guys like Alex Smith were doomed from the beginning; adjusting to playing in the NFL vs college AND trying to learn to play in a new system without any vets around to show them what's up. A-Rod had arguably one of the best role models in the game to watch for 3 years while he learned the system and adjusted his style of play.

I think he'll do really well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
Why is Brett upset?

9/10 1st year starters are lost???

and yet you gave 3 q/b that did well

something wrong with this picture?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
Why is Brett upset?

you have to give de-real-deal a break here... hes not very good with facts.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
Why is Brett upset?

Thats true. You should read my entire comment again. Maybe that will clear things up.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
de_real_deal said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
Why is Brett upset?

you have to give de-real-deal a break here... hes not very good with facts.

And some people struggle with reading comprehension. :shakes head in amazement:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

We won't go 6-10. We won't even go 6-10 with Daunte Culpepper as QB. Why? Because, we had the #6 D last year, Ryan Grant, and possibly the 2nd best WR core in the NFL. We also have a top 5 Coach, which alone is huge. Rodgers will be fine. He knows the O. He stays cool under pressure. As long as he stays healthy, we'll have at least an 8-8 record.

I'm actually hoping Favre comes back as a Packer, agrees to play only one more year, and accepts Rodgers as his successor. That is the ultimate of what would make me happy before the season starts. Granted it's now a long shot from happening, but we can all dream, can't we?

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

We won't go 6-10. We won't even go 6-10 with Daunte Culpepper as QB. Why? Because, we had the #6 D last year, Ryan Grant, and possibly the 2nd best WR core in the NFL. We also have a top 5 Coach, which alone is huge. Rodgers will be fine. He knows the O. He stays cool under pressure. As long as he stays healthy, we'll have at least an 8-8 record.

I'm actually hoping Favre comes back as a Packer, agrees to play only one more year, and accepts Rodgers as his successor. That is the ultimate of what would make me happy before the season starts. Granted it's now a long shot from happening, but we can all dream, can't we?

1. Packers defense wont be #6 when they have an inconsistent offense that keeps putting them back on the field. 3 & outs are gonna give you guys a reality check about our defense.

2. Ryan Grant's job will be much tougher this year. Will he suck? No. But he will not be a guy who gets 5 yards per carry and keep up his pace of around 1800 yards and 18 touchdowns like he was on pace for last year. His yardage is going to be hard to come by.

3. 2nd best wr core? Hey, they're not bad but please. Lets see how great they are when Rodgers is throwing to them. You see, Favre's ability to make down field decisions opened things up for those slants which we were so effective at. Throwing down field(i am not talking about hail maries-just talking about 20 yard down field throws) takes an experienced qb or an accurate guy with a cannon.

4. Top 5 coach? Didnt Ray Rhodes win the coach of the year one year and the next year he was fired? Coaches ride the coat tails of their players for the most part. Parcells, Bellicheck are exceptions along with a few others. Phil Jackson stopped being so great after Jordan retired. He stopped being so great once Shaq left as well.

5. Your confidence in Rodgers. "He will be fine" "He stays cool under pressure" "As long as he stays healthy" These are 3 very big question marks. We dont know enough about him to say this. Practice, OtA's really dont mean much. See how well he handles pressure when his back is all bruised because he got layed out on the previous play. I dont put much stock in offseason drills where qb's where red jerseys so you know not to lay a finger on them.

Lets be real here. I dont see a way for them to win more than 8 games. I just dont see any possible way for it to happen. After looking at their schedule, i see an automatic 9 losses. The other games the pack will have a shot but nothing guaranteed.

P.S. dont take this as an attack. There has been enough arguing on here in the last week. I'm just stating my opinion on what you said.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Rhodes went 8-8 in his only season with the Packers and that was the closest they had to a losing season under Favre until the 4-12 season with Sherman.

You can't expect Ryan Grant to keep up his pace? I understand he may not be a workhorse but that's why we have guys like Brandon Jackson and Noah Herron in the backfield as well, to give Grant a break. Plus, a lot of the Packer's receivers are saying Rodger's throws a beautiful deep ball so the threat is not extinguished.

Second best WR corps is a stretch, but I'd call them the number one receiving corps in regards to their depth. Rodger's has plenty of weapons to work with and I only see their offense getting better as their younger players get more experienced. The offensive line is becoming more established and should probably create bigger holes than last year for the backs to run through.

My confidence in Rodger's is also utmost. You can see it when he plays that he believes in himself. The only question mark I see is his health, which is probably my biggest concern about this team.

Packer's defense is in a tough spot. They're losing depth at defensive line the whole season and their two best corners are aging. However, if Harrel can prove his worth this season and Chillar can play a good coverage linebacker while Poppinga handles blitzes the team should fare well. It should also be noted that the secondary has improved a lot as far depth.

Now, to be totally realistic about their record you have to take into consideration the teams that they play, and were in a pretty weak division. The Vikings are our top competition and they have a good defense with one option on offense, Adrian Peterson. The Bears have always been in my opinion a team with a slightly overrated defense and miserable offense. The key to beating them is stopping their special teams, i.e, Hester. And than there's the Lions. I don't feel like I even need to go there.

So with 4-6 wins in the bag right there I'd say the Packers have a pretty good shot at finishing the season at or above the .500 mark.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
1. Packers defense wont be #6 when they have an inconsistent offense that keeps putting them back on the field. 3 & outs are gonna give you guys a reality check about our defense.

2. Ryan Grant's job will be much tougher this year. Will he suck? No. But he will not be a guy who gets 5 yards per carry and keep up his pace of around 1800 yards and 18 touchdowns like he was on pace for last year. His yardage is going to be hard to come by.

3. 2nd best wr core? Hey, they're not bad but please. Lets see how great they are when Rodgers is throwing to them. You see, Favre's ability to make down field decisions opened things up for those slants which we were so effective at. Throwing down field(i am not talking about hail maries-just talking about 20 yard down field throws) takes an experienced qb or an accurate guy with a cannon.

4. Top 5 coach? Didnt Ray Rhodes win the coach of the year one year and the next year he was fired? Coaches ride the coat tails of their players for the most part. Parcells, Bellicheck are exceptions along with a few others. Phil Jackson stopped being so great after Jordan retired. He stopped being so great once Shaq left as well.

5. Your confidence in Rodgers. "He will be fine" "He stays cool under pressure" "As long as he stays healthy" These are 3 very big question marks. We dont know enough about him to say this. Practice, OtA's really dont mean much. See how well he handles pressure when his back is all bruised because he got layed out on the previous play. I dont put much stock in offseason drills where qb's where red jerseys so you know not to lay a finger on them.

Lets be real here. I dont see a way for them to win more than 8 games. I just dont see any possible way for it to happen. After looking at their schedule, i see an automatic 9 losses. The other games the pack will have a shot but nothing guaranteed.

P.S. dont take this as an attack. There has been enough arguing on here in the last week. I'm just stating my opinion on what you said.

Don't worry. You've been nothing but civil towards me so I don't take it as an attack at all.

1. Could be true. Favre was making miracle 3rd down completions into 1st downs all season long and keeping opposing Os off the field. I'm hoping Rodgers can do something similar.

2. May be true. Opposing Ds were keying on Favre and that obviously helped Grant. How much is what we'll see in '08.

3. Donald Driver is extremely consistent. Greg Jennings is a playmaker. We have a lot of depth. There's only 1 team's WRs I'd take over ours.

4. MM is 22-12 after only 2 seasons. He looked great in almost every game last season. I do fault him for not taking control of the D against the Giants, but other than that, he was very solid.

5. The only big question mark I have with Rodgers is his durability.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

1. they were on the field for too long many times last season because of the offense's lack of production... didn't seem to hurt the record much.

2. Ryan Grant, if able to stay healthy will have 1200 yards next year easy. The offensive line has had a season to improve and one more year of experience for Grant. Not to mention MM plans on balancing out the attack more, so Grant will get a lot more touches this year. But since you dont need facts you can ignore that.

3. I have heard several tv analyst say we have THE best WR Corp. these guys know what to do and do it well. they are young, fast, smart and able and WILL get the job done. And as far as ... Wait till Rodgers is throwing them the ball and not Favre... You mean kind of like last year in the Dallas game??? you know, when the receivers looked like total different players after Arod came in?

4. The fact that you say coaching is over rated and then use Phil Jackson as an example shows me everything i need to know. You know nothing about sports, just sport stars. Phil Jackson is a master at his craft and without him none of those guys are wearing as many rings as they have now. Thats just too stupid a point to even argue...

5. Arod's inexperience is actually a valid point, but his injury history is NOT. but keep bringing that "injury prone" up even though you have reported 0 evidence of it being true. I will give you yet another chance to show me a game Arod has missed playing time in due to injury?

go read a book about sports before arguing them.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
Why is Brett upset?

Just an aside - Big Ben probably would have sat but he got thrown in the 2nd game of his rookie season when Maddox went down. The rest as they say is history :D

starr15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brian brohm will also be on the list so yeah youre gonna be wrong in a matter of future

Members online

Latest posts