The #Packers have exercised safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix’s fifth-year option.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This was a no brainer to me. If it didn't happen I wonder what a player would have to do for Ted to bite.

I'm hoping it the first in a long line of similar actions. Although they won't have that option with King I won't count him in the streak because it simply is not an option for him.

Not sure we will see that "streak" continue with Randall. But who knows, maybe 3rd year is the charm, I'm hoping for it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found a few similar articles now that have it pegged at $6.9M. But I will be happier if it is $5.6M

"Clinton-Dix signed an $8,338,501 contract after being drafted. The fifth-year option for safeties is expected to be around $6.9 million."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_teams_facing_big-money_opt.html

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/20/green-bay-packers-ha-ha-clinton-dix-option/

These things are often tough to understand. My Sportrac reference is from http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/haha-clinton-dix-14430/

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
These things are often tough to understand. My Sportrac reference is from http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/haha-clinton-dix-14430/
I usually hit Sportrac for contracts as well and I saw that number too. I have no clue if that # for 2018 is an estimate or correct. The reason I figured it was $6.9M was I saw it in 2 articles recent articles by different authors who seemed to know what they were talking about LOL.

This article released today, quotes closer to your number and has it at $5.9M.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/5/1/15503246/nfl-fifth-year-option-contract-nfl-draft-2014-tracker

SI reports another number:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/02/fifth-year-option-tracker

Someone, anyone, Buehler......know if 5th year option prices have even been determined yet?

All I know is that the fifth-year salary for Dix is the average of the third- through 25th-highest salaries at his position, whatever that number is.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
At the end of this season, the Packers will have another lengthy list of FA's to consider if they want to resign or not, removing HaHa from this now, at the price of the 5th year option, seems like a no brainer to me.

Morgan Burnett SS 28
Davante Adams WR 24
Corey Linsley C 25
Davon House CB 27
Lane Taylor G 27
Richard Rodgers TE 25
Ricky Jean Francois DE 30
Jayrone Elliott OLB 25
Don Barclay RT 28
Jordan Tripp OLB 26
Demetri Goodson CB 27
Jeff Janis WR 25

If play remains consistent from 2016, then for me Linsley, Adams, and Taylor would be far above the rest in priority.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If play remains consistent from 2016, then for me Linsley, Adams, and Taylor would be far above the rest in priority.

I would have put Burnett in that group as well, but the drafting of Jones may make him expendable or less of a priority. But like I said, look at Perry on that list last year, who would have thought the Packers would end up paying him what they did. A lot can change in the next 9 months. Guys like House, Elliott or Francois may make themselves must signs for the Packers and a few of them won't even be on the team to worry about.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would have put Burnett in that group as well, but the drafting of Jones may make him expendable or less of a priority. But like I said, look at Perry on that list last year, who would have thought the Packers would end up paying him what they did. A lot can change in the next 9 months. Guys like House, Elliott or Francois may make themselves must signs for the Packers and a few of them won't even be on the team to worry about.

I like Burnett, but he's turning into more of a box player and he will be 29 next offseason. Barry Church, also 29 and a lesser player, got 4/26 from the Jaguars this last offseason. Personally, I wouldn't invest that much or that long on an aging SS. If he wants something short and/or team friendly, that would be great. But otherwise, I would let him walk.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the end of this season, the Packers will have another lengthy list of FA's to consider if they want to resign or not, removing HaHa from this now, at the price of the 5th year option, seems like a no brainer to me.

Morgan Burnett SS 28
Davante Adams WR 24
Corey Linsley C 25
Davon House CB 27
Lane Taylor G 27
Richard Rodgers TE 25
Jayrone Elliott OLB 25
Don Barclay RT 28
Jordan Tripp OLB 26
Demetri Goodson CB 27
Jeff Janis WR 25
3 may be worth resigning.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Morgan Burnett SS 28
Davante Adams WR 24
Corey Linsley C 25
Davon House CB 27
Lane Taylor G 27
Richard Rodgers TE 25
Jayrone Elliott OLB 25
Don Barclay RT 28
Jordan Tripp OLB 26
Demetri Goodson CB 27
Jeff Janis WR 25

Gimme Adams, linsley, and Taylor. The rest are jags and we got burnetts potential replacement in this past draft.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was the most predictable move of the offseason. Good call though none the less.

Suprised how many people are just willing to move on from Burnett next year allready for a Saftey hybrid, who hasn't even hit the practice field on a team with with depth issues in the secondary.

Not saying he needs to be locked up at all costs but he's in line for a nice pay raise, within reason, and barring health we should be the team to give it to him. Lock up Adams and Lynsley early I say so you can get a slight discount then start in on Burnett. Plenty of cap space to go around to those 3 plus Taylor.

The rest are just comp picks waiting to happen barring Elliot possibly having a nice year sack wise.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

TT will probably try to extend him in camp or prior to the season.

I believe the Packers can't sign Clinton-Dix to an extension until next offseason.

Morgan Burnett SS 28
Davante Adams WR 24
Corey Linsley C 25
Davon House CB 27
Lane Taylor G 27
Richard Rodgers TE 25
Jayrone Elliott OLB 25
Don Barclay RT 28
Jordan Tripp OLB 26
Demetri Goodson CB 27
Jeff Janis WR 25

I agree with most other posters that there are only three to five players the Packers have to re-sign next season in Burnett, Adams and Linsley with House and Taylor possibly turning into such.

I usually hit Sportrac for contracts as well and I saw that number too. I have no clue if that # for 2018 is an estimate or correct. The reason I figured it was $6.9M was I saw it in 2 articles recent articles by different authors who seemed to know what they were talking about LOL.

This article released today, quotes closer to your number and has it at $5.9M.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/5/1/15503246/nfl-fifth-year-option-contract-nfl-draft-2014-tracker

SI reports another number:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/05/02/fifth-year-option-tracker

Someone, anyone, Buehler......know if 5th year option prices have even been determined yet?

All I know is that the fifth-year salary for Dix is the average of the third- through 25th-highest salaries at his position, whatever that number is.

Using numbers from Over The Cap to calculate the amount for the fifth year option Clinton-Dix should earn $7.05 million in 2018.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe Burnett is a definite wait and see how it goes as far as him playing the hybrid LB and the development of Jones and Brice as well as if one of the CB's gets moved towards safety. I've never been enamored with the Burnett/Dix combo. I don't think they have good matching skill sets. I also don't expect to ever see Dix be that top notch deep safety. I think he lacks instincts and quick read reaction and isn't fast enough to make up for it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe Burnett is a definite wait and see how it goes as far as him playing the hybrid LB and the development of Jones and Brice as well as if one of the CB's gets moved towards safety. I've never been enamored with the Burnett/Dix combo. I don't think they have good matching skill sets. I also don't expect to ever see Dix be that top notch deep safety. I think he lacks instincts and quick read reaction and isn't fast enough to make up for it.

The Burnett/Clinton-Dix combo is a huge upgrade over the time when the Packers had to start Jennings and McMillian at safety though.

Members online

Latest posts