The #Packers have exercised safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix’s fifth-year option.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Figured TT would exercise this option for the first time ever, on Ha Ha. I think I remember reading that will cost the Packers around $6.9M. Money well spent IMO.

The one downside of it, if he has a Pro Bowl 2018 year, his market value will be a lot higher than what it would probably cost the Packers to rework a multi-year deal to keep him in GB for a 3-5 years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Sportrac, $5.6 mil

Right now, puts him in the 13-14 range at free safety, about #7 at strong

Sky King

Reaction score
Figured TT would exercise this option for the first time ever, on Ha Ha. I think I remember reading that will cost the Packers around $6.9M. Money well spent IMO.

The one downside of it, if he has a Pro Bowl 2018 year, his market value will be a lot higher than what it would probably cost the Packers to rework a multi-year deal to keep him in GB for a 3-5 years.
Can't they renegotiate a long-term deal during the 2018 season, anyway?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
According to Sportrac, $5.6 mil

Right now, puts him in the 13-14 range at free safety, about #7 at strong

I found a few similar articles now that have it pegged at $6.9M. But I will be happier if it is $5.6M

"Clinton-Dix signed an $8,338,501 contract after being drafted. The fifth-year option for safeties is expected to be around $6.9 million."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/nfl_teams_facing_big-money_opt.html

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/20/green-bay-packers-ha-ha-clinton-dix-option/

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can't they renegotiate a long-term deal during the 2018 season, anyway?
Yes. Risk on both sides of contracts of under or overpaying by the Packers and for Dix the opposite. Bottom line, he is locked in for an additional year at a reasonable cost and the Packers don't have to make a decision on him before seeing more of him during that time.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HaHa has a chance to be a top 4 safety in the league if he just learns how to play the deep ball better. He's late to arrive to the deep ball way to much for a guy with his skill set. I still have nightmares about the two point conversion that sailed right over his head in the NFCCG. Idk how he didn't pick that off.

D

Deleted member 6794

I fully expected the Packers to pick up the fifth year option for Clinton-Dix. Good move by Thompson.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
HaHa has a chance to be a top 4 safety in the league if he just learns how to play the deep ball better. He's late to arrive to the deep ball way to much for a guy with his skill set. I still have nightmares about the two point conversion that sailed right over his head in the NFCCG. Idk how he didn't pick that off.
I don't think either Dix or Burnett cover to the sidelines as well. Am hoping that Jones does that better than our current safeties.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think either Dix or Burnett cover to the sidelines as well. Am hoping that Jones does that better than our current safeties.

I'm not sure that is what you're implying but Jones isn't a great fit to line up at free safety.

Sky King

Reaction score
Collins was a tough act to follow and I keep hoping that somebody will someday match his production and Leroy's before him. Their instincts and closing speed were outstanding but it did take both a few seasons to finally reach that level of play.

I'm in agreement with you. I, too, hope that Jones can bring that same level of performance to whatever positions he plays.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If he's going to take the step to being elite, it happens this year or not at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he's going to take the step to being elite, it happens this year or not at all.
I'm not so sure I agree with the timeline. I think it will help HaHa if he has a good supporting cast around him and I hope that happens this year. When you look at some of the good safeties in the league, they seem to be one piece of several in a good secondary, as well as an overall good defense. There is only so much one guy can do back there.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure I agree with the timeline. I think it will help HaHa if he has a good supporting cast around him and I hope that happens this year. When you look at some of the good safeties in the league, they seem to be one piece of several in a good secondary, as well as an overall good defense. There is only so much one guy can do back there.

I'll stick with my call, PB. It's year 4; **** or get off the pot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll stick with my call, PB. It's year 4; **** or get off the pot.

LOL.....that makes it sound like he has sucked for 3 years. While he isn't an elite S (yet), he hasn't been bad and I think the Packers picking up his 5th year option indicates the same in their minds. Like I said, if he gets a good supporting cast around him, I think you will see a lot more out of Dix. When Woodson was playing, the guys he had around him allowed him/Capers a little more leeway to freelance, Dix didn't have that last year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL.....that makes it sound like he has sucked for 3 years. While he isn't an elite S (yet), he hasn't been bad and I think the Packers picking up his 5th year option indicates the same in their minds. Like I said, if he gets a good supporting cast around him, I think you will see a lot more out of Dix. When Woodson was playing, the guys he had around him allowed him/Capers a little more leeway to freelance, Dix didn't have that last year.

Hasn't been bad at all; just not as good as a lot of people think he's been, and not as good as he can be. Time for full bloom.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm fine with it. If he prices himself out of reach in two years, I'm fine with that as well. Then again, I believe he's overrated as Pro Bowl player.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are 4 or 5 guys on that list who would be worth resigning, and none who are bank busters. if this team can't handle the cap due to fear of that list, then we need new people handling it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There are 4 or 5 guys on that list who would be worth resigning, and none who are bank busters. if this team can't handle the cap due to fear of that list, then we need new people handling it.

Worth signing at a certain price, with what we know today. Look at Perry, he would have been on that list last year, were you predicting he would get the contract he got less than a year later? You just never know what can happen. Some of those guys are capable of having Pro Bowl years and then the Packers have a tougher decision and more money involved.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a no brainer to me. If it didn't happen I wonder what a player would have to do for Ted to bite.

I'm hoping it the first in a long line of similar actions. Although they won't have that option with King I won't count him in the streak because it simply is not an option for him.

Members online

Latest posts