The Packers Do Retire Jersey #s, Right?!

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ask because I was thinking about it the other day... I have never seen another #4, 5, 15, 66, or 92. Yet, Willie Davis was #87, and one hell of a Packer, yet Jordy Nelson wears #87. Robert Brooks before him. Is his number not to be retired, or do we just not retire #s? I swore the Packers did that. I know as a life-long cheesehead I should know this kind of thing, but to be honest I never REALLY thought about it before.

Thanks for any and all insight!

--Rob.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only retired numbers are 3, 14, 15, 66, and 92. The organization WILL retire the #4 though but has not yet

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
oh and they will retire the #12 eventually as well...calling it now! :)

I don't see it happening, their is a problem with retiring numbers and that is you take a number out of the population and if you keep taking numbers out you can't replace them. As much as you may want to see #12 retired, I would love to see #21 retired too and if the Packers retire all the numbers of great players then what do we do when our team exceeds the number of available numbers?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I am sure #4 will get retired after he enters the HoF. The 49ers waited nearly 10 years to retire Jerry Rice's #80, and did it the year he was finally inducted.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I was wondering about the #'s myself,... Nick Collins sporting LeRoy Butlers old #...which I thought was retired, so I've learned something new today.

I guess it would be hard to start the whole 3 digit jerseys!! lol:)

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1"Curly" Lambeau's number from 1921to 1929 when he was Packer player and #5 which was Paul Hornung's number from 1957-1966 are inactive. meaning thePackers are not using those two numbers.

A number of years ago ,
The NFL issued a memorandum in an attempt to discourage NFL teams from retiring numbers. They don't want too many numbers retired. They don't want to have triple digits on NFL player jerseys i n the future.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
most teams have some numbers inactive. The Raiders and Cowboys do not retire numbers as far as I know. The bears have the most retired numbers with 14. And Reggie White is the only player to have his # retired by two different teams.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
"And Reggie White is the only player to have his # retired by two different teams."

Another gem I didn't know!! I betcha Kitten knew this!!!

*couldn't get the quote button to work for me!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
North end zone ... did you note Ron Wolf's name up on the ring to the east of the retired numbers, but set apart from the players names?

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie has his number retired by two teams; I heard Gretzky has statues outside the arenas in both Edmonton and LA.

I know it's kind of sacrilege to say a retired number should be unretired, but I think it would be perfect if only Don Hutson's 14 and Bart Starr's 15 were retired. I believe the Redskins have only ever retired Sammy Baugh's 33, and I think that's perfect. Keep it ultra exclusive. The ring of honor is there for the Hall of Famers, plus there's the Packers Hall of Fame, so keep the highest honor extremely exclusive.

And with Favre... The Packers should retire his number every year, but only during training camp.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
And with Favre... The Packers should retire his number every year, but only during training camp.

and call it "sting ring" !.... I'll be here all week folks!!!:)

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Reggie has his number retired by two teams; I heard Gretzky has statues outside the arenas in both Edmonton and LA.

I know it's kind of sacrilege to say a retired number should be unretired, but I think it would be perfect if only Don Hutson's 14 and Bart Starr's 15 were retired. I believe the Redskins have only ever retired Sammy Baugh's 33, and I think that's perfect. Keep it ultra exclusive. The ring of honor is there for the Hall of Famers, plus there's the Packers Hall of Fame, so keep the highest honor extremely exclusive.

Maybe they'll decide to retire #4...then decide not to...then decide to...then decide not to....and so on and so forth.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I thought I read an article saying that the packers are for sure going to retire the #4 eventually, 6 numbers in the entire history of the packers seems pretty exclusive to me.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Just when you thought it was safe to venture into the forums again . . . . (without the mention of Favre)

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
If all the Packers hall of famers had their numbers retired there would be no numbers left. The number getting retired is reserved for a special few. Unfortunately Favre does fall in that category.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I thought I read an article saying that the packers are for sure going to retire the #4 eventually, 6 numbers in the entire history of the packers seems pretty exclusive to me.

Yes they have said they plan to when the timing is right. I hope the board gives a strong suggestion against it. Or they just have a vote by the shareholders.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it happening, their is a problem with retiring numbers and that is you take a number out of the population and if you keep taking numbers out you can't replace them. As much as you may want to see #12 retired, I would love to see #21 retired too and if the Packers retire all the numbers of great players then what do we do when our team exceeds the number of available numbers?
They can have only a 53 man roster.
Which means, including 0 and 00, it gives them 48 more numbers to go before anyone would have to worry about not retiring or re-issuing a retired number.
The idea of honoring a traitor makes me ill. I hope the Packers come to their senses and never ever do anything for that scumbag. Maybe he can talk to MN about having his number retired.
They say that time heals all wounds.
I guess for some, those wounds from the knife that BrINT put in the backs of fans, are very deep.
Will they be healed even after A-Rod wins another SB for us?

Members online

Latest posts