The Packers could draft Meachem

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collegefootballnews.com (probably the best site on the entire Internet, in my humble opinion) has released their first NFL mock draft, and it has the Green Bay Packers taking Tennessee receiver Robert Meachem at the number 16 spot in the first round.

Analyst Pete Fiutak writes, "If you want No. 4 to come back for another interception-filled year, you need to give him playmakers to work with. Meachem would help create a heck of a corps combining with Donald Driver and Greg Jennings."

Not a bad pick if I do say so myself. Perhaps a bit high for a receiver who basically blossomed this year, but the Packers do need some firepower on offense. And unfortunately, both Calvin Johnson and Dwayne Jarrett will probably be gone by no. 16.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great Blue North had him at 58th but they are updating their top 100 tomorrow.

Draft Countdown has him as the 38th best prospect.

Draft Board Insiders have him as the 26th best prospect.

Draft Board Consensus also has him at 26th.

Heather, I always caution on focusing on just one site. Hey they could be right. However, right now boards tend to over weigh QB's RB's and WR's based on their bowl game performances. That said it does appear to have a lot of WR's. I think the Packers go with a WR in the second round.

After the combine things will change and in March boards start to realize linemen are good draft picks also.

Drich318

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Meachem would be a great Packer. He just should be drafted in the 2nd round, not the 1st round. Many sites have the Packers drafting Marshawn Lynch (RB-California). He could be the Lawrence Maroney form last year. We could keep Green and have Lynch. Nice back field.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If i was TT i would throw in my 2nd and 3rd hodge/culver something like that for the redskins 1st ... that would be the smartest approach get 2 first rounder impact players a WR and RB ... and most probably A-P would still be available for 6th spot

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never know enough about the college players to know who the Packers should go after. There is SO much hype. Yet look at Donald Driver......i think he was a 7th rounder, and look what HE has done! And how many 1st rounders have turned out to be duds! It's all a crap shoot.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take Rice out of South Carolina before Meachem. At least before the combines he is rated higher but could still be around for the 16th pick.

They are both physical guys but Rice is a better athlete and will be some teams #1WR one day.

At this point Meachem would be a long reach with the 16th pick. Not a bad player but there will be better available with that pick with Jarrett, Rice, Glenn, etc, all coming out early.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Great Blue North had him at 58th but they are updating their top 100 tomorrow.

Draft Countdown has him as the 38th best prospect.

Draft Board Insiders have him as the 26th best prospect.

Draft Board Consensus also has him at 26th.

Heather, I always caution on focusing on just one site. Hey they could be right. However, right now boards tend to over weigh QB's RB's and WR's based on their bowl game performances. That said it does appear to have a lot of WR's. I think the Packers go with a WR in the second round.

After the combine things will change and in March boards start to realize linemen are good draft picks also.

Sporting news I think has Brady Quin going down to 29th..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Meachem would be a great Packer. He just should be drafted in the 2nd round, not the 1st round. Many sites have the Packers drafting Marshawn Lynch (RB-California). He could be the Lawrence Maroney form last year. We could keep Green and have Lynch. Nice back field.

Yep.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If i was TT i would throw in my 2nd and 3rd hodge/culver something like that for the redskins 1st ... that would be the smartest approach get 2 first rounder impact players a WR and RB ... and most probably A-P would still be available for 6th spot

Nope.

Won't happen. If TT is going to trade up it's not going to be at a cost of depth at other positions first of all. Secondly, who he would be inclined to trade up for would not have the health concerns of an AP.

The guy runs straight up and down and couldn't get thru college without getting hurt bad let alone the pro's. No way TT gambles like that. Especially since he's not known for trading up anyways.

If we EVER see TT trade up it's going to be for someone very special.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont want Ginn, all he has is speed and thats it. What has happened when the vikings took a WR who all he had was speed in Troy Williamson with the #7 pick they are considering flat out cutting him in his second year because he sucks. What happened when the packers took another player based on speed in Ahmad Carroll you all know how that turned out. Speed can be overated look at Greg Jennings and Donald Driver both dont have blazing speed but there playmakers. NO GINN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND NO MEACHEM BECAUSE IT IS TOO HIGH FOR HIM TO BE DRAFTED AT #16. we need a fresh young running back and thats why we should draft Marshawn Lynch like someone stated early do what the Patriots did and have a duo Green, Lynch like they have Dillion, Maroney

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of Ginn at the pro level, beyond the obvious excitement he could provide with returns. Yes, he is fast, but he is slight of build and may prove to be injury prone, especially since the Packers expect all their WRs to play the middle of the field...where big colisions occur. As well, he is barely marginal as a route runner, and his hands are average. I think Troy Williamson is a great comparison. You don't throw a 1st rounder to a guy whose most prominent skill set is in the return game.

Now, if the Pack targets Meacham, this plays right into TT's hands as it would allow him to trade down and accumulate additional picks. If we stay at 16, and he is there, Lynch makes so much sense.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gynn in the first round, Anthony Gonzales in the 2nd rnd, from there I wouldn't care.

Gynn has improved quite a bit on his route running, he would probably excell in the return game the first year.

Gonzales IMHO runs better routes than Gynn at this point and has no fear going over the middle, so I believe A.G. will become a starting wr before Gynn will.

As always you can't expect any rookie to make much of an impact as a strarter their first year, but lord would we have some depth at wr.

I know there is no way that The Pack would ever draft both these guys, but one can only dream.

gado35

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought you guys might think this to be interesting. this is a site that surveys a lot of other mock draft sites and it tells you what percentage of mock drafts say you get a certain player. if that was a confusing explanation just go to the site.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/teams/index.php?steam=GB

Marshawn Lynch is really who we need right now. Green did ok this year but the truth is that he is going to age really fast this year. Marshawn Lynch could prove to be a future back. He is strong, he has a nice frame. He is fast, has nice footwork and has good vision.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Analyst Pete Fiutak writes, "If you want No. 4 to come back for another interception-filled year, you need to give him playmakers to work with. Meachem would help create a heck of a corps combining with Donald Driver and Greg Jennings."

I would question the credibility of the source since he assumes that Brett would have "another interception-filled year". Unless that was a typo.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gynn in the first round, Anthony Gonzales in the 2nd rnd, from there I wouldn't care.

Gynn has improved quite a bit on his route running, he would probably excell in the return game the first year.

Gonzales IMHO runs better routes than Gynn at this point and has no fear going over the middle, so I believe A.G. will become a starting wr before Gynn will.

As always you can't expect any rookie to make much of an impact as a strarter their first year, but lord would we have some depth at wr.

I know there is no way that The Pack would ever draft both these guys, but one can only dream.

wait your a buckeye fan and you cant spell Ginn right? I know your a buckeye fan but that would be a terrible draft and we wouldnt get nearly as good of players there as we could have got with Marshawn and a Defensive Back or WR.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meachem is a reach at 16. He wasn't near as good as a prospect as he is now coming into the year. He kind of came onto the scene this season but really didn't have that big of a Bowl Game against Penn State to solidify his stock. I think he's a late 1st - early 2nd round pick but not a mid 1st rounder. I like Dwayne Bowe of LSU a lot more than him.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

wait your a buckeye fan and you cant spell Ginn right? I know your a buckeye fan but that would be a terrible draft and we wouldnt get nearly as good of players there as we could have got with Marshawn and a Defensive Back or WR.

:rotflmao: Yea, I was waiting for someone to call me out on my spelling, I could have went in and corrected it but didn't.typo's are typo's.

I didn't say it would be the best for the team, just that I would be happy if it happened.

Drafting #16 is getting into the "crapshoot area" all the "can't miss studs" are usually gone by then.

I wouldn't be totally focused on RB with the first pick, there are a # of hole's that need filling, highest graded athlete on The board(The Packers) is the way I would go with #1.

To bad Hart from Michigan didn't decide to come out this year, he would have fit in perfectly for The Pack.

Looking ahead I hope we have a shot at him next year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Any name that resembles 'Mandrich' in any sense at all should not be considered in the first round by the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts