The Packers - Committed to their own

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I love what the Packers are prioritizing - their own. This does not look like a team that will be ready to move on from their MVP QB next season, this looks like a team that is ready to add young talent from the draft.

In terms of skilled offensive players, technically the Packers have gotten better. Adding Funchess to the mix and getting the 2nd-3rd round guys from last year a season under their belt (Degura will get healthy). They will be adding another RB, likely a pass catching kind of back from the draft. They will likely add at least one WR to fight for a roster spot with EQ. They got better.

Once our guys are healthy, the OL will be fine. The Packers have always been successful in their development of offensive line players.

Defensively, they have not missed a beat. Kirksey and Adams will not be missed. Lets add some young talent to the DL and a CB prospect and they are good to go off.

I like this strategy. They were a few plays away from a Superbowl. Build on that, and ask TB to come back to GB for the NFC championship next year.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Performance should dictate whether a player is resigned or told to hit the highway. I love keeping guys that have played well but there are guys like Kevin King who should've played their way off the team. It makes it much more difficult to improve if the dead weight is kept around. Same for Lowry and Josh Jackson. Their roster spot can taken by somebody cheaper and very likely better.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're not improving you're falling behind. Tying up cap and roster space in guys like King, Lowry and Jackson isn't improving.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If you're not improving you're falling behind. Tying up cap and roster space in guys like King, Lowry and Jackson isn't improving.
It’s March 24. Take it easy. There’s no guarantee that any of those three will make the final 53 man roster, much less be starters. We’re still more than a month away from the draft and almost 6 months before the season starts. It never ceases to amaze me the weird things people write here in March & April every year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s March 24. Take it easy. There’s no guarantee that any of those three will make the final 53 man roster, much less be starters. We’re still more than a month away from the draft and almost 6 months before the season starts. It never ceases to amaze me the weird things people write here in March & April every year.

Yeah, pretty weird to point out that the team has basically punted on a key part of improving in the off season so they can hang on to some jags. Great non-response to a point

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It is improving if they play better than they did last year. I understand the King signing though am not thrilled about the price tag on him. Whoever plays that spot this year is going to get mercilessly picked on by opposing teams. I’d hate to see any rookie get thrown into that fire from the get go in September. Especially if he sat out last year. I don’t think that would be good for his mental health. Playing in a fish bowl like Green Bay who has their share of noisy negative Nancy’s is not ideal IMO for a young guy trying to get acclimated to the pro game and a unique and different environment.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If they can't win the Superbowl they might as well try to win the off season. That's something right... isn't it?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty weird to point out that the team has basically punted on a key part of improving in the off season so they can hang on to some jags. Great non-response to a point
It’s March 25. The first week of free agency has historically been a quiet week for this franchise. Why would you suddenly expect something different when Mgmt is getting the cap in order? The core players on the team are under contract and we still have 10 draft picks in our pocket and numerous young guys in their first contract that will continue to improve. Some of you are just nervous Nellies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If they can't win the Superbowl they might as well try to win the off season. That's something right... isn't it?
We’ve forever “lost the off-season” according to the national geniuses who are GM wannabes. And alas, we win our division and compete in the playoffs just about every year while the perennial also rans continue to churning their rosters and overpay free agents who their previous teams deemed unworthy of re-signing. It’s most often the superhighway to irrelevancy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We’ve forever “lost the off-season” according to the national geniuses who are GM wannabes. And alas, we win our division and compete in the playoffs just about every year while the perennial also rans continue to churning their rosters and overpay free agents who their previous teams deemed unworthy of re-signing. It’s most often the superhighway to irrelevancy.

Careful Pike, You don't want to be labeled as one of those fans who is content to win the division every year and compete in the playoffs just about every year. That's just awful. Although, it has gotten us a game away from the SB the past two seasons.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think it's generally smart to prioritize your own when it comes to paying veterans, especially if you're drafting well, but keeping King over paying for an outside veteran is where it stops for me. Maybe he'll prove me wrong. I doubt it.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question fans should be asking is why have the Packers not restructured Rogers contract to free up cap space so they can sign free agents. Do you know what Tom Brady's cap hit is? $6,000,000.00. That's it. Thats why they are able to improve the talent on that team by signing free agents. The Packers on the other hand keep falling further and further behind in terms of talent. Are they planning on dumping Rogers in 2022? It kind of appears that way.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The question fans should be asking is why have the Packers not restructured Rogers contract to free up cap space so they can sign free agents. Do you know what Tom Brady's cap hit is? $6,000,000.00. That's it. Thats why they are able to improve the talent on that team by signing free agents. The Packers on the other hand keep falling further and further behind in terms of talent. Are they planning on dumping Rogers in 2022? It kind of appears that way.

You're right that the Packers have not taken advantage of the cap with Rodgers the way that the Bucs have with Brady.

But it's not accurate to say that the Packers keep falling further and further behind the Bucs in terms of talent.

Both teams are essentially running things back. With the exception of the OL pieces, the Packers are virtually the same team they were in 2020, personnel wise. Same is true of the Bucs, who focused on keeping their 2020 roster together (they only lost the odd piece-- Fournette for example).

And the offseason isn't over.

So these are two teams that were basically comparable last year and are basically maintaining.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're right that the Packers have not taken advantage of the cap with Rodgers the way that the Bucs have with Brady.

But it's not accurate to say that the Packers keep falling further and further behind the Bucs in terms of talent.

Both teams are essentially running things back. With the exception of the OL pieces, the Packers are virtually the same team they were in 2020, personnel wise. Same is true of the Bucs, who focused on keeping their 2020 roster together (they only lost the odd piece-- Fournette for example).

And the offseason isn't over.

So these are two teams that were basically comparable last year and are basically maintaining.

Right. TB has not signed a single outside FA thus far either. Everyone they have signed is returning. And the packers have not lost the opportunity to create cap space via a Rodgers restructure. They can still free up 9 million or so. I suppose the Packers could have restructured Rodgers and resigned Linsley then you could say they were exactly like the Bucs.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why is burt lancaster still on the team? and where is buggar bill? I guess lancaster and buggy are one in the same...i digress..

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Careful Pike, You don't want to be labeled as one of those fans who is content to win the division every year and compete in the playoffs just about every year. That's just awful. Although, it has gotten us a game away from the SB the past two seasons.
You can’t win the SB if you don’t qualify for the playoffs.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They knew what their plan was, Pike. They could have been quicker with it. And a year later they're still dragging out the Rodgers situation and seemingly making it worse.
Like my Grandma used to say, s**t or get off the pot.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see what Tampa's been up to:

Signed T Donovan Smith to a contract extension.
March 19, 2021 Re-signed DT Ndamukong Suh. Signed LT Donovan Smith to a two-year contract, $31.8M extension.
March 17, 2021 Re-signed TE Rob Gronkowski.
March 15, 2021 Re-signed LB Kevin Minter and DL Rakeem Numnez-Roches.
March 12, 2021 Re-signed G Aaron Stinnie to a one-year contract.
March 10, 2021 Re-signed TE Rob Gronkowski to a one-year contract.
March 8, 2021 Re-signed DE Pat O'Connor.
March 7, 2021 Extended QB Tom Brady's contract. Resigned LB Kevin Minter.
March 4, 2021 Placed the franchise tag on WR Chris Godwin.

February

DATE TRANSACTION
February 12, 2021 Signed RB C.J. Prosise, DT Sam Renner and C Donell Stanley to reserve/futures contracts.
February 10, 2021 Signed OLB Quinton Bell, WRs Cyril Grayson, Travis Jonsen and Josh Pearson, DBs Javon Hagan and Herb Miller, Gs Nick Leverett and John Molchon, DL Benning Potoa'e, TE Codey McElroy and DT Kobe Smith to reserve/futures contracts.
February 6, 2021 Promoted QB Drew Stanton and G Ted Larson to active roster.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love what the Packers are prioritizing - their own. This does not look like a team that will be ready to move on from their MVP QB next season, this looks like a team that is ready to add young talent from the draft.

In terms of skilled offensive players, technically the Packers have gotten better. Adding Funchess to the mix and getting the 2nd-3rd round guys from last year a season under their belt (Degura will get healthy). They will be adding another RB, likely a pass catching kind of back from the draft. They will likely add at least one WR to fight for a roster spot with EQ. They got better.

Once our guys are healthy, the OL will be fine. The Packers have always been successful in their development of offensive line players.

Defensively, they have not missed a beat. Kirksey and Adams will not be missed. Lets add some young talent to the DL and a CB prospect and they are good to go off.

I like this strategy. They were a few plays away from a Superbowl. Build on that, and ask TB to come back to GB for the NFC championship next year.

Ppl say this yet I would prefer to be able to look back and say, "yeah, the team went 7-10 this year but at least we won the Super Bowl a couple years ago." I'll never understand the "honor" of being *almost* the best really often.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ppl say this yet I would prefer to be able to look back and say, "yeah, the team went 7-10 this year but at least we won the Super Bowl a couple years ago." I'll never understand the "honor" of being *almost* the best really often.

You don't go into a season with the idea that you are going to be almost the best. You go into it thinking you are one of a few teams that has a chance to be the best.

Knowing your team sucks and that you don't have a chance to be the best kind of takes a lot of fun and excitement out of a season.

I watch the games to be entertained and wins are exciting. I look forward to each season knowing the Packers have a team that is good enough to win the Superbowl. I've watched crappy Packer teams through the late 70s and the 80s hoping, but knowing they realistically had no chance to be in the running to be even almost the best. Believe me, it wasn't very exciting or entertaining. I prefer having a chance every year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

What has changed? They paid him his $6.8M roster bonus, instead of pushing it out into a future that already is getting pretty well leveraged due to other moves. If they need cap space they still have the ability to push his salary out in the same manner.

The talking heads love th*s sh*t because it gives them click bait material and something to ********** about thinking they are breaking news on the NFL MVP. Next thing we are going to hear is that Rodgers and his headcoach hate each other and can't work together.

P.S. Tom Brady's cap hit is not just $6M. Just more of the fact skewing for people trying to load up the false narrative. His cap hit is $9.075M, but more importantly, his dead cap is at $50M.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't go into a season with the idea that you are going to be almost the best. You go into it thinking you are one of a few teams that has a chance to be the best.

Knowing your team sucks and that you don't have a chance to be the best kind of takes a lot of fun and excitement out of a season.

I watch the games to be entertained and wins are exciting. I look forward to each season knowing the Packers have a team that is good enough to win the Superbowl. I've watched crappy Packer teams through the late 70s and the 80s hoping, but knowing they realistically had no chance to be in the running to be even almost the best. Believe me, it wasn't very exciting or entertaining. I prefer having a chance every year.

I prefer ending a season ecstatic rather than sad. Sorry, but whether packers lose in round 1 of the playoffs or in the NFCCG I'm still sad after the loss.

You seem to think that being the Lions is the only other option. When you have the greatest QB ever, your team will never be the Lions.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer ending a season ecstatic rather than sad. Sorry, but whether packers lose in round 1 of the playoffs or in the NFCCG I'm still sad after the loss.

You seem to think that being the Lions is the only other option. When you have the greatest QB ever, your team will never be the Lions.

I prefer going into a season knowing I have a chance to be ecstatic at the end rather than knowing I'm going to be sad.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

It’s only fair to expect to be ecstatic once every 32 years then, or twice in your lifetime.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I prefer going into a season knowing I have a chance to be ecstatic at the end rather than knowing I'm going to be sad.

Shocked at how many people think an Aaron Rodgers lead Packers would become a perennial version of the Lions if they used free agency a little more liberally.

Members online

Latest posts