1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Packers' biggest problem this season...

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Incubes12, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    Ok, so maybe not the Packers' biggest problem, but it certainly bothers me.

So I live in Buffalo with my girlfriend (well, fiancee, but I think saying fiancee sounds pretentious, so I stick with gf), and she's just recently getting into football for the first time. She watched games with her dad here and there, but she never really seriously watched football (or was forced to) until she moved in with me.

So here's the problem: she's a Bills fan. I know, I know, how could anyone be a fan of the lowly Bills? Well, she grew up in Rochester and now lives in Buffalo, so it's got to be the close proximity of the team, plus I think she feels bad for them.

My question to you guys is how do I get her to convert? I try to get her excited about Packers games when they're on here, I got her a Chuck jersey because he's her favorite Packer, and I even got her a cheese hat for Christmas. What more can I do? I'm going to enter crisis mode soon!!!

2. VolvoD

VolvoD Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +653
    It can be done. my wife was a cowboys fan...thats right, WAS. now she only roots for the packers. big time! she also agreed our trip to the packers/vikings game this year was the best weekend of our life...

3. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    I figure that's the ultimate solution, bring her to Lambeau. Problem is, I'm in medical school and she's in graduate school, i.e. we're both poor and I don't have any time to get out there for another couple of years.

4. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +120

Stop being pretentious :grin2:

5. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +240
    Take her to Lambeau. Seriously.

I live in Central Illinois, Bears fans so thick it makes me want to puke. My G/F (Been together 5 years now) and her family were DIE HARD Bears fans when I met her. I distinctly remember thinking oh crap, this is going to be an issue. Making matters worse, her Dad's side of the family is the backwoods, hick, bears loving type. "There is no football like Bears football" he'd scream, drunker than hell. Pretty much the perfect stereotype.

Anyways, last year, I decided, we are going to Lambeau, in December. I am going to show her what Packer football is all about. To hell with this "Bears Football" crap. She was against the idea, didn't want to sit amongst a bunch of cheeseheads on a freezing cold day. We made the 6 hour trip to Green Bay and I remember driving down Lombardi Ave. It was cold, foggy and snowing a little bit so visibility wasn't great but as we drove down Lombardi Ave and Lambeau started showing itself through the fog, I looked over at her and her eyes were HUGE, I could tell she was a little awestruck by it. I could tell the change had begun. We parked the car and walked the half mile to the stadium, in our full Carhartt's. We walked by all of the fans, the tents that were set up decked out in their Packers gear, people grilling out, playing football, beer chilling in the snow banks. Green and Gold EVERYWHERE. A guy tossed me a football, so I gave it to her and let her throw it back. I think she liked that. There's just something about throwing a football to someone while you stand outside Lambeau field.

We got to the entrance, gave the guy our tickets and went inside. Went straight for the nearest tunnel and walked out to see the field. I thought her mouth was gonna hit the deck. Player intro's got her all hyped up, I noticed she was standing up on the bleachers screaming and cheering as they introduced the players, she didn't even know who the hell they were at the time! Lol

Packers won that game 48-10 over the Seahawks and locked up a wild card playoff berth. The players came around the stadium afterwards high fiving the fans.

From the second we left Lambeau Field that afternoon she has been a DIE HARD Packer fan. She sit's next to me and screams louder than I do at the TV when they lose and cheers just as loud when they win. It's great.

And to this day... She, with a passion, HATES the Bears and Bear Football!!

6. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    What 98redbird said.

Or show NFL Films videos of the Packers' Lombardi era and 96' season.

And also show all the articles of Packers doing good deeds, Rodgers, Grant, Woodson. This Packers' team is composed of one of the most generous and caring people in football.

7. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Hopefully if you can't get her to convert by using any of the methods mentioned above, you can at least learn to respect each others teams. It will certainly make things interesting in your house during game day either way. Good luck and don't be too hard on her if she doesn't go for it. Got my paws crossed she chooses the Packers though!

8. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +473
    Let her be a Bills fan if that's what she wants.

I totally respect her for being a Bills fan now, when they're god awful, and not bandwagoning in the mid-90's or something.

9. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    Haha, she's always going to be a Bills fan, no matter what. I'm ok with that, since I've always been partial to the Bills as well. I just want her to get enthusiastic about the Packers. I always try to get her excited about the games, and she always just kind of throws out that sarcastic, "yay Packers, go Woodson."

I guess I'll just have to wait until we can get to Lambeau. I don't think she's into football enough yet to appreciate or enjoy the history as much.

10. GreenGoldAngel

GreenGoldAngel Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +133
    Try an exorcist from the Catholic church? Seriously, one of my sons was was born in San Francisco, he thought he was a 9er fan. My other son was born in Phoenix, he thought he was a Cardinal fan. After my divorce I had custody of them every summer. I moved to Green Bay and for 5 straight years they were immersed in Green Bay for 3 months: The town, the people and the Packers. They are total conversions and wear nothing but Packer gear.

To continue the story, my oldest son is in medical school and he just married a girl from Minneapolis in August. She just graduated as a pharmacist. The wedding was in Minneapolis, my younger son was best man. Everyone at the wedding was asking him what he thought of Minneapolis. He said, "It's ok, but Green Bay is awesome! My son and his wife are living in Phoenix, they had just watched the first Packer game of this year. She got up from the couch and said "I hate football!"

I really look forward to family get togethers.

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Try NFL films americas game for the 3 SBs. Or this saturdays Lombardi special

12. Incubes12

Ratings:
    +317
    I like the idea of someday living in Wisconsin, maybe in the Milwaukee area. I know it's fairly nice up there and I can stand the weather, Western NY is no better. I don't really know the area that well because I've never traveled close. I have family about 45 minutes SW of Chicago and that's the closest I've been, so I know I haven't even touched on it. My girlfriend just wants to live somewhere that she can ski and my dad (went to UMich) told me that there are lots of good ski resorts in the Northern area of Michigan.

Anyways, the point of all this is that someday I will get us into position to go to a Pack game at home, especially since I myself have never been. If that's what it takes to get her into the Packers, then that's what it takes. Aaron Rodgers is her kind of person, I think if I can get her to be able to meet him somehow, that'll do it. Just need to wait until I can expand the bankroll somehow, hehe.