1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

The other side of high-speed police chases

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Zero2Cool, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    If the case is to catch a dangerous armed felon, i can understand them keeping after them, so they don't get away and commit another crime. In this kind of case, it's a shame.
    A few days ago a 16 year old boy took his brother's car for a joy ride. He wasn't being chased, but decided to go 80 in a 25 residential area. He wrapped the car around a tree, and one of his friends in the car with him died. Maybe had the cops went after this kid they could have stopped him before he crashed the car, killing his friend.
    You just don't know........would the girl still have hit the van even if she didn't have the cops behind her? I don't know. It was a SLOW speed chase, so you can't fault the police for following the girl. Should the police just let a 15 year old who stole her Mom's car keep driving? What if they would have left her drive on, and she ran over some little kid on a bike or something? Then everyone would be yelling "Why didn't the police try to stop her before this happened?" Sometimes the cops just can't win, no matter what they do. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

3. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    There are times that chases should be called off but this doesn't seem to be one of those times. They should be called off if it is apparent that it is dangerous to other citizens in the area. If the chase goes into major traffic or heavily populated areas, they should call them off. A slow speed chase like this one seems justified even though the crime commited wasn't serious, you need to stay consistent. A law that restricts police chases to violent felons posing an imediate threat would greatly decrease the police from being able to do their job. The police wouldn't be able to go after most people that flee from them and that is probably more dangerous in many cases.

I also don't like the idea of creating legislation because if that legislation was there in the past it would of saved the life of one girl. You can't change the past, and it wasn't the police that were responsible for the girl dying, it was the girl's lack of personal responsibility. It seems to me that the parents are making up for the girl's mistake by blaming the police instead of the girl or even their parenting.

I wasn't aware that it isn't already a felony to flee from police though, that should most definately be a felony.

4. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    if they make that legislation, thats just more help to the criminals.

5. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I think they should develope some sort of grapple hook on the front of cop cars to hault them.

6. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen on tv some technology that they have been working on. One fires this thing on wheels from the police car and it goes under the car that is being chased and sets off a pulse that turns the car off. As technology gets better, this will be less and less of a problem.

7. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yep, technology is kicking *** as far as law enforcement\criminal procedure goes.

I remember when some PDs used to allow bumping the car to make them spin out. Thats just insane. I wonder if some still do that (in the south)...hmm...

8. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The pit maneuver? That is still pretty standard. It is risky but when used it the right situation it is fine. It is overused though. It should only be used at relatively slow speeds with no traffic. If that was used in the situation above it would be incredibly inappropriate however. It should be avoided when possible. An ideal situation is when chasing a dangerous criminal and the criminal has to slow down for some reason or another and their is no traffic, it can be used to spin the vehicle and the cop car rolls up and pins the door shut and the vehicle gets surrounded.

9. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    No its not. IM not saying its not used, but its not standard. Maybe where you live though.

10. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From Wikipedia

The PIT maneuver is a method, popular with police departments, by which one car pursuing another can force the pursued vehicle to abruptly turn sideways to the direction of travel, causing the driver to lose control and stop.

PIT maneuver's potential was first recorded in the late 1970s by the California Highway Patrol. It was further developed and popularized in the 1980s by BSR Incorporated, an advanced driver training school in Summit Point, West Virginia. BSR titled the technique Tactical Vehicle Intervention (TVI). It gained popularity through the 1990s, and the technique was refined so as to reduce the violent ramming called for by earlier variations.

I really don't think you can find too many police departments that don't have the officers trained in how to do the PIT maneuver.

11. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    The rules and procedures to do that now, make it almost nonexistent.

Some PDs even have special Pit Cars for it. How does that work, ask the guy to slow down while they get the pit car there, then go back to it. It's dangerous. I hope I get to do it one day though!

It's not like it used to be. But you're right too. you right.

12. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree superrat. Too many times it seems that people would rather blame the police then the people that commit the crimes.
    And with the pit manever, the cops use it to stop people that are a danger to innocent people. I have seen it on "Cops" MANY times. It's a last resort, but when a person aims their car at others, to try to hurt them, it comes in handy.

13. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Why not just put a cap in the back of the drivers head? Make it known that is what will happen if you steal a car or drive without a license. I bet that will cut down on automobile theft.

Yes, I think this world we live in is making us a WEAK HUMAN RACE.

14. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Woah. Zero I have to disagree there. First of all, I believe that people stealing a car or driving without a license are mostly teens. To shoot them for their mistakes is just wrong. We all make mistakes, you and I included, and I believe to end up dead for a mistake is wrong.

Furthermore, these are teens who have the POTENTIAL to become something. They have the ability to go out and help society. I have always believed that a teen can turn their life around, because at any moment they can have an epiphany, or gain insight allowing them to change. To take away this option for a teen is just wrong, especially since society can use more hardworking individuals.

IMO, having experience with Criminal defence lawyers and wanting to become one myself, I feel that the government today is making so many stupid laws that are "aimed" at fixing our society, but regardless they continue to ignore the root issue that causes these kids to go bad in the first place.

15. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    The problem with kids now adays is they know the punishment they will receive will be minimal.

For instance. Ask your grandpa or someone who lived 50 years ago and aske them what happened when they did something 'out of line'. I guarantee they won't say 'well dad put me in a timeout' they'll say they were told to go out back, pick out a switch and take their beating like a man.

That type of discpline is what made our nation strong. Now? ****, people use lawyers for punishment and they know there is some 'loophole' they can exploit to get away with it.

Truth be told. If you knew doing something would get you a bullet in the back of the head, I highly doubt you're gonna do it at all.

16. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think beating children makes people strong. Shooting a person isn't discipline. I don't even know why I am responding to such a thing.

17. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    It's not the act of beating or the act of shooting someone. It's them KNOWING it COULD happen if they get out of line.

I don't know how to rationalize what I'm saying. I'm not saying we should beat the crap out of our kids every time they dont finish their dinner or leave the toilet seat up. I'm saying them knowing nothing can happen is giving kids a free lance menality.

It can be done without this, I know it can because its how I raise my daughter. The general population does not though. I learned a lot from my father on how to raise a child and what not to do.

18. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    the juvenile system we have is a joke. its a legit slap on the wrist. its amazing.

I've seen kids(yeah kids) who should be in prison, but no, they go to the same judge every 4 months, and he gives em a slap on the wrist, and hes right back out hurting people.

its a joke.

19. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Yep. That's basically what I'm saying. if these kids knew something far more sever would happen I would imagine they would be more on the straight an narrow.

20. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Zero I agree with you that the older generation had it tough. My parents and grandparents were beat, yelled at, and worked like no tomorrow. Yet they lived and are now stronger. Present day society has shifted their values to allow kids more freedom, and the chance to do less at a younger age. It has, no doubt, taken away fromt eh kids sense of responsibility and ability to do what is right. But regardless, imposing a riddiculous law such as you propse, with all due respect, will not solve anything. Teens already have a "me against the world" attitude and the beliefe that they are instoppable and always right. Harsher punishments won't take that away.

I still believe the root of the problem lies within the familes that kids grow up, and no law or court judgement will fix this major flaw that exists today.

21. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    lol, that would be nice if that were true, and as easy as "it lies within the families."

lol, ok.

22. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0

• - Lack of father figure in most families.
      - Lack of mother/father spending time with their children; allowing them to know one and another and know right from wrong
      - Lack of discipline within the house
      - Mother out and about being a .... you get the picture, which sets a bad example for kids
      - Parents lack of discussion with their children about drugs/sex
      - Parents teaching their kids to be materialistic
      - Lack of respect in family houses for the elder generation
      - Lack of respect in family houses for the mentally and physically disabled
      - Lack of interest by parents in what their children do/ who they hang out with

Please enlighten me on how to make laws/court system stricter, so we can solve these problems.

23. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    you're missing the point. thats not the only thing, and its not as simple as that.

what about the family who has 2 working parents to support the family. they arent there. should they quit their job to make sure their child doesnt turn into a criminal?

It all comes down to individual choice. A lot of people are dealt a bad hand in life, but it is their choice to do what they do.

or we can take the easy blame way and say "it all lies within the family."

but i dont feel like discussing this too much, cuz its my birthday week, and the celebrating begins in 4...3...2...1...

(yes i celebrate the whole week, especially since on my actual birthday i have to go to court. But ill blame that on my mom and dad[jk, aadp!] )

24. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    These people are endangering the public and the police are there to stop them from causing further tragedy.

If the police did not pursue, then every crimminal would engage in high speed chases.

25. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    Trom, I think the family that has both working parents needs to stress to their child how important it is to work hard in life, so that the child doesn't end up like the parent. There is a real communication problem that happens. I agree that there are many factors that lead to a person committing a crime, but I still believe the "root" problem is within the family. But we'll agree to disagree. :)

And technically, if you want to celebrate your entire birthday week, shouldn't you have started on a day before TUESDAY? :p

BTW - Go ahead and blame your parents. If they didn't give birth to you, you would't have gotten the ticket. Not only that, but I wouldn't have had the sick pleasure of locking every thread you start. :p

So send my thanks to Papa Trom and Mama Trom. :lol: