1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The only way is up?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Green_Bay_Packers, May 3, 2007.

1. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    do we think Green Bay can finish better than 8-8 next year and maybe make the playoffs?

2. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    as long as the NFC is still putrid..everybody has a good shot, even us!

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Better than 8-8 should be possible.

Playoffs are definitely possible, if only because the NFC is weak.

4. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Let's see
    Lions added Calvin Johnson
    Vikes added "ALL DAY" & Rice
    Bears Added Olsen
    GB lost Green and drafter a DT when D-Line has the most depth on the team

Packers go 8-8 b/c of #4

5. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Pack goes 8-8 IN SPITE OF Favre.

6. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    1. Packers 10-6: Green Bay didn't gain a lot, but they didn't lose a lot. Green barely got a thousand yards last year....and that is like 62 yards per game. That is no good. Brandon Jackson will do better. Jennings, Hawk, and Collins will all get better, not to mention their o-line gelled together towards the end of last year and will only get better.

2. Bears 9-7: Two words: Lance Briggs! He is a huge part of their defense and if they lose him, it will be a big blow to their defense and they have to win the games for them because Grossman blows.

3. Lions 7-9: Calvin Johnson will be the reason they will be 7-9. Jon Kitna sucks. They traded away Dre' Bly, so their secondary will be pathetic.

4. Vikings: 6-10: They drafted Adrian Peterson. Wooopdeedoo! They still have Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback. The same Tarvaris Jackson who threw for under 100 yards last year vs. the Packers and didn't look any better vs. the Rams. Sidney Rice is sooo over-rated. He should have stayed in school. Remember the last time the Vikings drafted a South Carolina WR?

7. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

wow
    yeah justin harrell sucks cause you didnt hear his name on ESPN.

8. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    I count at least six players, Hawk, Poppinga, Wells, Spitz, Colledge, and, Jennings that all started in the NFl for the first time last year that should raise the bar of their individual play this season.

I am also optimistic about how well the defense finished off the season last year playing supurb the last four games. The evolution of Jenkins as a DE who can do it all is very encouraging.

The addition of Harrell should make us beastly against the run and we seemed to have found ways to pressure the QB.

There are very few teams our defense can't stay with now and Brett seems o.k. with pulling back on the gambling some so I see us going 10-6.

Not so much winning in spectacular form but winning the turnover battle and controlling time of possession with a stout D.

If we were to come out of the break week better than 3-3 it might even be better. Winning at home would be essential for that to happen.

9. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    uwbadger12000 and Warhawk summed it up well and thanks for the optimism. I too am tired of hearing how good the Vikings are going to be. Didn't we hear that last year too?

10. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    seeing as i aint posted my thoughts i think i might aswell :
    I think we will improve and hopefully make the playoffs But if the Bears were as good as they were last year we have a problem........ MAYBE NOT

11. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6

if we won and lost on paper... the Vikings would have about 14 superbowls by now... but they are the Vikings.

im actually more concerned with the Lions than i am with the Vikings this year. and chicago is slipping. i honestly think we got a shot at the division next year. a shot. i mean we beat everybody last year twice except chicago in the very first game of the year under a new coach.

they havent gotten that much better, and we definetly havent regressed. why cant we win it this year.

12. Mortfini

Mortfini Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i really think green bay will probs beat all the teams in the divisions thats 6-0 its just a case of finding another 4-6 wins somwhere else which i think we can get as for the post season i dont think we have the team yet to go past the 1 round of post season games

13. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    If we beat everyone twice in our division, we can punch our ticket into the playoffs no matter what.

14. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    actually Uwbadger i think it goes down to overall record... so if we go 6-10 and 6-0 in our division.... and say chicago goes 8-8 and 5-2 in the division they would go to the playoffs.

if we 6-0 in our division, finding 4 more wins will be pie.

15. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    One factor has been left out in this whole Post Draft Armageddon.

That just might be the development of Coach mike McCarthy after working with this young team.

The kids, and we have many, will be more understandable about what he wants and looks for. It will give him a chance to have players understand and tell the new players what to expect, what to focus on and how to slide into the program and philosophy of the coach.

Coaching has a great deal to how well a team does. However so many people here think T.T. is the pulse of the team. Did anyone even think that T.T.might just be building a team that Mike wants for his system?

I dare one negative Armageddon poster here after the draft to bitch about the job that Mike has done.

I swear to God. If some of you did not have anything to bitch about you would have nothing to live for.

Now... I am heading to a remote lake in B.C tomorrow morning..

I will be back Nov 12th.... When I arrive in Milwaukee.

I can not wait to head into a good old Milwaukee Bar and find out if many other Packer Fans are as pessimistic as so many on line.

RP

16. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    WTF I didn't sat anybody sucked, I said we lost Green and used our first pick in the 2007 on a position that is the deepest on the team.

17. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I really think it's too early to start predicting anything. Last year we saw the Saints go from almost worst to almost first. The bottom line is this - if we stay healthy all year, we have as good a shot as the next guy.

18. Aytumious

Aytumious Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    How is Chicago slipping?

19. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thomas Jones is gone right?

and arent they about to lose Lance Briggs?

oh and Rivera, the good DC is gone.

20. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Uhhhhh didn't we lose Green? Chicago has just as much bogus "potential" in thier backfield as we do.

21. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    you are assuming that what the vikings lions and bears added is gonna instantly improve there teams... yet you think we wont improve at all??? why, we beat everyone in our division twice except chicago and went 5-1.......
    now they add some draft picks. so did we, and none of them have played a down yet and your already countin us to regress from last year or automatically get passed talent wise by the teams we beat last year.

i think, that if we beat them all last year in our head coaches first year, added some talent like the rest of the division in the draft.... and have yet another year under the coach... i see good things on the horizon.. but i guess its just these green and gold glasses im wearing. stupid me.

22. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Ignoring the other 2 things I said and just focusing on the 1 that helps your argument is why you're such a....great poster.

23. Weissman1989

Weissman1989 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Detriot will be tough though. As much as i hate to admit it they are going to suprise some people. Tatum bell will be able to burn some people and they're reciving trio will be able to burn using that Deep in route that Martz likes so much, and why torry holt is the player he is.

Chicago is falling, but they're D is going to be amazing either way, its wether or not we can rub our DE's nuts in GROSSMAN's face.

Minnesota needs a QB before anything, but their run D is going to be solid.

24. mi_keys

mi_keys Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Detroit had good play from their receivers last year. They also lost Dre Bly.
    Minnesota had good play from their running backs. Peterson is probably the most injury prone player coming out of the draft. Brad Johnson also left leaving Tarvaris Jackson as the starter.
    And Rex can't throw the ball three feet so what does it matter who his targets are. Lost Thomas Jones and Briggs doesn't want to play for them.

Any of those teams can fit that argument so applying it only to Green Bay is simply a pessimistic bias.

25. uwbadger12000

uwbadger12000 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Detroit's D will suck.

Green Bay is the only team in the division with any sort of balance.

Packers: solid offense, very good D, which is getting better
    Bears: Garbage O, Great D
    Vikings: An O that my my HS team could stop with regularity, solid D
    Lions: Good O, Terrible D