1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

The Official Nostalgic Thread

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Wood Chipper, May 7, 2011.

1. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,410
    This is the thread to post or talk about nostalgic things. Nothing after 1999 is nostalgic.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElORM9O-0U&feature=related"]YouTube - Tal Bachman - She's So High[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo-KmOd3i7s"]YouTube - N Sync - Bye Bye Bye[/ame]
    If a mod could sticky this then that would be great

2. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,042
    I barely recall full service gas stations back when a full tank cost less than a gallon does today. Full disclosure: I make more per hour now than my dad made in a day when gas was that cheap.

3. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Anyone remember what we did with ourselves when we didn't all have cell phones and the internet?

Books!!! The library! Although I still love books as much as the internet!

4. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,410
    i didnt get a cell phone till junior year in high school. im 21 now but i see 10 year olds with iphones and im just like why? at 10 i had a gameboy and a cd player and that to me was the shiznip.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,115
    I think I was one of 3 people at my HS to have a cell phone. Then again they were banned so...

6. VersusTheMoose

VersusTheMoose Greatest of All-Time

Ratings:
    +161
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhlENNq_2Vk&playnext=1&list=PLDFC0C9633474D97D]YouTube - ZeldaOcarinaOfTime_01Introducción[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,410
    Ocarina of Time is being rereleased on the 3DS with enhanced graphics and in 3D. It disappoints me that some little kids are gonna think its a brand new game.

8. GreenBayGal

GreenBayGal Cheese Goddess

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Phones have never been the same since the demise of party lines. Ahhh....those were the days when you could listen to your neighbors conversations.

• Like Like x 2
  9. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    Now we have the internet to spread gossip and rumor like wildfire.

10. sped2010

sped2010 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +18
    I remember when I was a kid (and um, not too long ago - I'm only in my early 20s) when my neighbors and I spent from morning to night outside playing games. We built forts over clotheslines and played so many active games it was insane. Kids these days don't do that! I don't understand.

I was going through some old stuff in the garage the other day and came across my Skip-it - anybody remember those? It has ribbons and apparently is now so obsolete it retails for $90 on Amazon. So I've been using that for the past few days and it is my new favorite thing in the whole world I think. So much fun (until I smack my shin or break an ankle, then it won't be fun).

11. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,410
    kids dont do it because now they have 50 gadgets. when i was a kid it was gameboy and n64 and thats it and my parents wouldn't let me play n64 on school nights.

12. cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +194
    Here are my retrospectives of games I've played in the 90s. I was mostly a PC gamer, which is why most of my reviews are those of real time strategy and FPS games. (my youtube name is Dygeron92, btw)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4AdOWqbKOw&feature=watch_response"]YouTube - Dygeron92 Reviews: Command & Conquer (DOS)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0KNOk7f_oA&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - Dygeron92 Reviews: Warcraft II (PC)[/ame]

I've played these and other games on the Sega Saturn, a video game console I owned in the 90s. My best years of gaming was spent on that system, when all I had was a Sega Saturn, a lot of free time, an imagination, and not a care in the world.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    Nerd alert:

Final Fantasy. When it was good. VII and VIII, the best ones. Turn-based RPGs. Miss them. Nowadays it's all about the presentation of the game and gameplay be damned!
    And on PC, Diablo II. Best rpg ever created. But so frikin time-consuming...

On overall nostalgia, the days when I was carefree, got home from school and had almost all afternoon free. Didn't have to pay any bills. Didn't have to worry about my job. (I don't hate my job, but I don't love it either...). In Brazil, college is very different. It's only part time, it takes 5 years, you don't live in dorms, you live at your house, because you usually go to a college nearby your home. The parties were great, don't get me wrong, but I still had to work while I attended it, so it wasn't just the studies and nothing else.

14. cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +194
    My personal favorite Final Fantasies are VI, IV, and VII. Never played VIII or IX.

As for the whole college thing, I'm a commuter at my own college, and I'm working 4 years for my Bachelor's degree, so my college experience isn't that different. It's full time though, and I ended up spending almost all of my time studying and doing work because of how fast the classes go. It's to the point where being behind is a guarantee for failing the class.

15. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    I remember when my biggest worry was having a date on Friday and/or Saturday night. (as I recall)

16. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,410
    you worried about that? you are gorgeous.
    btw command and conquer red alert 2 was the best

17. cheesehurdler

cheesehurdler Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +194
    Really? Because I reviewed that game too!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnteLRwsjCI&playnext=1&list=PL003AAA9D31758454"]YouTube - Dygeron92 Reviews: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (PC)[/ame]

Although I think Red Alert 1 was the best, Red Alert 2 is awesome, too. Another game I loved playing as a child.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,042

Mine was paying for that date. I'm from the days when the guy paid for most or all of it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wood Chipper

Ratings:
    +1,410
  20. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    In my younger day I could drink all night for free and not even be on a date. (as I recall)

21. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,042
    Drinking age 18. Before that it was a case or two with a dozen friends at a country cemetery or behind an abandoned homestead. Maybe on a logging trail in someones woods. Everybody knew "Fort Knox" or Smitty's woods or the gravel pit or wherever and the police rarely bothered unless the bonfire got too big or someone recently had had a serious accident or someone got banned at the party and wanted revenge.

• Like Like x 1
  22. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    Ha Ha. We must be the same age. Behnke Road, Bunker Hill. The worse sentence was to have the cops take away your beer. 18 was the legal drinking age so you started at 16. I mean... I KNEW some that did but of course not me.

23. neilfii

neilfii Hall of Fame Fan

Ratings:
    +714
    For a second I thought I saw Aaron wink when I read this.

24. GreenBayGal

Ratings:
    +1,123
    When I was drinking beer in farmer's fields, Aaron was still a twinkle in his dad's eye. :)

25. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,042
    In the field listening to the BeeGees perchance on an AM radio? or would it bee Donna Sommer on an 8-track? while knocking back a few Hamm's or PBR's. Someone always brought some maddog or homemade dandelion wine.