The offense must run through Jones and Dillon

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been saying it all year - The offense must run through Jones and Dillon! Whether it be on the ground or through the air, my targeted goal for combined touches between those two starts at 30! Anything less in my opinion and you aren’t giving yourself the best chance to win.

With all due respect, when Cobb is your best WR you better not be throwing almost 40 times in a game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been saying it all year - The offense must run through Jones and Dillon! Whether it be on the ground or through the air, my targeted goal for combined touches between those two starts at 30! Anything less in my opinion and you aren’t giving yourself the best chance to win.

With all due respect, when Cobb is your best WR you better not be throwing almost 40 times in a game.
I don't really like it much when they are in there at the same time. Maybe once or twice a game is enough for me. But I would like them to start throwing to the TEs over the middle part of the field. At least a couple times a game. I think we have players and just don't utilize them. Trust or something like that I guess is the reason.

Reaction score
I don't really like it much when they are in there at the same time. Maybe once or twice a game is enough for me. But I would like them to start throwing to the TEs over the middle part of the field. At least a couple times a game. I think we have players and just don't utilize them. Trust or something like that I guess is the reason.
I recall hearing our 2020 high power Offense used both RB about 20% of the time. Last year that dropped to 5% and while not a lone factor in our drop in O production, I believe it took a substantial playmaker off the field on 100+ plays or so.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I recall hearing our 2020 high power Offense used both RB about 20% of the time. Last year that dropped to 5% and while not a lone factor in our drop in O production, I believe it took a substantial playmaker off the field on 100+ plays or so.
I may be wrong but I would be shocked if in 2020 both backs were on the field at the same time anywhere near 20% of the time. Honestly I am not sure if Dillon played much more than 20% of the snaps let alone playing that many with Jones also on the field.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back in the Finley, Bubba Frank's days the Pack burned that seam all the time. Not so much any longer.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more. Dillon and Jones need to be on the field together more often imo. This team needs to utilize more 21, 22 as well as 12 & 13 formations and far less 3 WR sets imo.

ColoradoPacker51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the same. Frustrating to watch our team as we can't play a full and complete game.

For the Offense: 1st half of that game was a great game plan, using both Jonsey and Dillon, some great runs and then numerous quick passes that didnt travel more than 5 yards down the field, great play designs and we built a 17-3 lead. Second half we completely abandon that and throw the ball down the field and didnt complete a single pass 20+ yards traveled. I dont get why we completely change who we are and what we need to do to win. NYG didnt take lead until middle of 4th quarter, its not like we got down early in 3rd Q and had to play catch up, we were still firmly in control of that game. Is it MLF, 12, i dont know why we go away from what this team needs to do. Couldn't agree more than when 18 is our best WR, 33 & 28 have to touch the ball 30+ times, 33 getting at least 20 of those.

On Defense, seems like 52 is the only one making big times plays out there. 23 just seems like another CB out there, i really don't notice our safies out there that much and that juke saquan put on 26 made him just look bad. Bad penalties were huge as well and i feel were a big turning point for our D and the NYG Offense. I guess I can't say i'm surprised by the D so far, just seems like normal Packers Defense but with more hype this year that this was finally going to be a top 10 D.

3-2 is not a bad record by any means and this league is always changing week to week so a lot of football left. This is just another one that slipped away that we should've won. Make me truly wonder how good of a coach MLF is. He seems to be outclassed by some of these other coaches and while we have won a lot of games with him, not sure if he is the guy to win the big one when it matters most. I live in Denver and so far, Hackett seems like he doesn't have a clue how to truly run a team and needed to hire a coach specifically to help with game management, just seems lost and being from the MLF tree and sitting players in preseason and all and then bonehead coaching moves, make me truly wonder about MLF and if he is truly the guy for us.

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I would be shocked if in 2020 both backs were on the field at the same time anywhere near 20% of the time. Honestly I am not sure if Dillon played much more than 20% of the snaps let alone playing that many with Jones also on the field.
If we were to blindly disregard our 2020 season and not evaluate where the elements of success came from?
In my opinion that would be worse than any guess we could formulate as to the right mix of the duo RB usage altogether.

One thing I am very confident about is 5% dual usage (2021) didn’t work as well as 20% dual usage (2020).

We were 18th/22nd in rushing yards/TD in 2021
We were 8th/15th in rushing yards/TD in 2020.

I doubt we’d go backwards with more RB usage, especially until our newer WR group gets acclimated. We’re currently 11th/19th ranking in Rushing this season (in between).

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense should run through Jones. Dillon has absolutely regressed this season and he's what little explosiveness he had. He's a good short/medium yardage back and a nice change-of-pace back occasionally but Jones is the guy the offense needs to be run through and I'm not certain how often that can be done in a game. Plus, coaches need to keep a season long perspective and make sure the receivers are being brought up to speed on how to help this team. The Packers could certainly win more games by running the ball more often but if that means the rookies are further behind at the end of the season then the trade-off isn't worth it. The Packers currently have zero playmakers who can make a play one-on-one consistently downfield; finding a guy that can do that is more important than one or two wins to start the year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the same. Frustrating to watch our team as we can't play a full and complete game.

For the Offense: 1st half of that game was a great game plan, using both Jonsey and Dillon, some great runs and then numerous quick passes that didnt travel more than 5 yards down the field, great play designs and we built a 17-3 lead. Second half we completely abandon that and throw the ball down the field and didnt complete a single pass 20+ yards traveled. I dont get why we completely change who we are and what we need to do to win. NYG didnt take lead until middle of 4th quarter, its not like we got down early in 3rd Q and had to play catch up, we were still firmly in control of that game. Is it MLF, 12, i dont know why we go away from what this team needs to do. Couldn't agree more than when 18 is our best WR, 33 & 28 have to touch the ball 30+ times, 33 getting at least 20 of those.

On Defense, seems like 52 is the only one making big times plays out there. 23 just seems like another CB out there, i really don't notice our safies out there that much and that juke saquan put on 26 made him just look bad. Bad penalties were huge as well and i feel were a big turning point for our D and the NYG Offense. I guess I can't say i'm surprised by the D so far, just seems like normal Packers Defense but with more hype this year that this was finally going to be a top 10 D.

3-2 is not a bad record by any means and this league is always changing week to week so a lot of football left. This is just another one that slipped away that we should've won. Make me truly wonder how good of a coach MLF is. He seems to be outclassed by some of these other coaches and while we have won a lot of games with him, not sure if he is the guy to win the big one when it matters most. I live in Denver and so far, Hackett seems like he doesn't have a clue how to truly run a team and needed to hire a coach specifically to help with game management, just seems lost and being from the MLF tree and sitting players in preseason and all and then bonehead coaching moves, make me truly wonder about MLF and if he is truly the guy for us.
So right. Spofford commented during the blog that Barry had our D just playing back trying to keep everything in front like the Giants were this team with a great aerial attack. Whereas the Giants mixed their schemes on defense constantly we did not. We assumed because of his bad ankle that Daniel would not be a threat to run and we failed to adjust.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we were to blindly disregard our 2020 season and not evaluate where the elements of success came from?
In my opinion that would be worse than any guess we could formulate as to the right mix of the duo RB usage altogether.

One thing I am very confident about is 5% dual usage (2021) didn’t work as well as 20% dual usage (2020).

We were 18th/22nd in rushing yards/TD in 2021
We were 8th/15th in rushing yards/TD in 2020.

I doubt we’d go backwards with more RB usage, especially until our newer WR group gets acclimated. We’re currently 11th/19th ranking in Rushing this season (in between).
Look I was one of the 1st posters to both hope and predict that Jones and Dillon would be on the field together a lot this year. What I disagree with you on is that they were on the field together very much in 2020.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look I was one of the 1st posters to both hope and predict that Jones and Dillon would be on the field together a lot this year. What I disagree with you on is that they were on the field together very much in 2020.
Now of course when we do that it means one less wideout or TE. So those play calls have to be very user specific. I would hope we do not just send them out there.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with those who have said we need to emphasize the run more, and I'm more of a fan of 2 RB sets. I'd be willing to bet the defense knows when we're running, so why not make them guess who's getting it when they do. Nobody fears the Packer WR's, they can pretty much all be handled with man coverage. Also, Rodgers gives the other teams defense PLENTY of time to catch their breath between plays bringing the clock down to zero ALL... THE...TIME.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have players and just don't utilize them. Trust or something like that I guess is the reason.
The lack of trust is why they're not on the field.

The coaches see these guys everyday.

I don't question who should play, but I do question the playcalling for the players on the field.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now of course when we do that it means one less wideout or TE. So those play calls have to be very user specific. I would hope we do not just send them out there.
There are so may things MLF could do with his backfield.

You could put Christian Watson back there with Dillon and Jones, setting up a potentially lethal screen package.

Throw Deguara back there get those ourside zones runs going...

Also...why not just sign a damn FB?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The lack of trust is why they're not on the field.

The coaches see these guys everyday.

I don't question who should play, but I do question the playcalling for the players on the field.
I was being sarcastic about the lack of trust thing because it is a bunch of ********. And I do question who the coaches put on the field. Coaches put guys on the field because of their draft number. They don't give some guys a chance because they are "too young." And they wait way too long to try something new or make a needed change. And I'm starting to think a big problem might be that our head coach is a *****. Does he or ARod call the plays? I don't think a strong head coach would allow ARod to treat him the way ARod treats MLF on the sidelines. And I'm starting (I'm probably real slow) to think that ARod is a primadona.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with those who have said we need to emphasize the run more, and I'm more of a fan of 2 RB sets. I'd be willing to bet the defense knows when we're running, so why not make them guess who's getting it when they do. Nobody fears the Packer WR's, they can pretty much all be handled with man coverage. Also, Rodgers gives the other teams defense PLENTY of time to catch their breath between plays bringing the clock down to zero ALL... THE...TIME.
I agree with the 2 back sets. Not always but enough of the time.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You could put Christian Watson back there with Dillon and Jones, setting up a potentially lethal screen package.

Amen! And a FB usually plays on ST a lot.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So right. Spofford commented during the blog that Barry had our D just playing back trying to keep everything in front like the Giants were this team with a great aerial attack. Whereas the Giants mixed their schemes on defense constantly we did not. We assumed because of his bad ankle that Daniel would not be a threat to run and we failed to adjust.
Failure to make adjustments has been an issue all season long.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wasn't Deguara drafted as an H-back/FB?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the defense is giving them looks that invite the pass, they have to be able to pass. If they can't, they won't go anywhere this season. And if they don't try, they won't get it clicking.

This passing offense has a lot of new moving parts in it. They were always going to need time. It's frustrating to watch, but it could pay dividends down the road.

No doubt that Jones and Dillon should be central to the offense. But you can't just run the ball against loaded boxes all season and expect to be an effective offense.

Reaction score
If the defense is giving them looks that invite the pass, they have to be able to pass. If they can't, they won't go anywhere this season. And if they don't try, they won't get it clicking.

This passing offense has a lot of new moving parts in it. They were always going to need time. It's frustrating to watch, but it could pay dividends down the road.

No doubt that Jones and Dillon should be central to the offense. But you can't just run the ball against loaded boxes all season and expect to be an effective offense.
No one said you have to only run with Dillon and Jones. They can both be used in the passing game also.

1. Allen Lazard
67.9% career catch [email protected] yards per reception
That’s 9.0 per target

2. Robert Tonyan
78.3% catch rate @ 10.9 per
That’s a 8.5 yards per target

3. Randall Cobb
69.9% catch rate @ 12.2 yards per
That’s 8.5 per target

4. AJ Dillon
84.9% career catch rate @ 9.0 yards per reception
That’s 7.6 yards PER TARGET

Romeo Doubs
75.9% career catch @ 9.7 per
That’s a 7.3 per target rate.

Aaron Jones
73.5% career catch rate. @7.0 yards per reception
That’s 5.8 PER TARGET

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No one said you have to only run with Dillon and Jones. They can both be used in the passing game also.

Aaron Jones
73.5% career catch rate. @7.0 yards per reception
That’s 5.8 PER TARGET

AJ Dillon
84.9% career catch rate @ 9.0 yards per reception
That’s 7.6 yards PER TARGET

Sure. And they should throw to them.

However, in reviewing the game it's apparent to me that the problem was not that they wouldn't use the backs. The problem is that they had looks to throw against to the WR's and they didn't execute.

Reaction score
Sure. And they should throw to them.

However, in reviewing the game it's apparent to me that the problem was not that they wouldn't use the backs. The problem is that they had looks to throw against to the WR's and they didn't execute.
We targeted those 2 RB’s 3 times combined out of 39 targets. No matter how you swing it or where you set your debate. AJ Dillon is your 4th best WR on this roster (in efficiency!) Do you know how many passing targets he saw in London?

I’m going to disagree with you in this one. It’s a problem. If we continue to ignore our RB’s early on this season we’re in trouble. It’s a glaring level of misusage. No one said drop the rest of the game plan. I sure never said that. I said mix in more RB both pass and Run

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts