The O-line 2013

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see what they have planned, because a month ago, it didn't like we were possibly going to be able to fix this for next year, whereas now it looks like most of our solutions are internal.

So I'll start at guard, because we are set there with Lang and Sitton. Bulaga is presumably going to be back and healthy, so plug him back in at RT.

Then you've got Newhouse, Barclay, and maybe even Sherrod in the mix somewhere. If Sherrod is healthy, they are actually really deep everywhere but center. I think they will draft a center in the first 3 rounds, if nothing else to be insurance if EDS doesn't pan out. They aren't really hurting anywhere, though.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have something they can put together. Depth might be something they look to address in the offseason.

Rodgers holds the ball longer than any QB in the league, fix that and your sack problems go away

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
They have something they can put together. Depth might be something they look to address in the offseason.

Rodgers holds the ball longer than any QB in the league, fix that and your sack problems go away

Him holding the ball is also due to good coverage by the defense, our guys seems to get better seperation a year ago. Cobb seems like one who will consistantly break off his route and come back to the ball if Arod can't find anyone. He is a true ball player and smart for being so young.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Him holding the ball is also due to good coverage by the defense, our guys seems to get better seperation a year ago. Cobb seems like one who will consistantly break off his route and come back to the ball if Arod can't find anyone. He is a true ball player and smart for being so young.

I don't expect him to be tops in the league, but last is concerning

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather see a healthy Sherrod at LT and Barclay at RT than Bulaga. I honestly think he's more suited for Guard as he looked bad at times this year. Barclay is a far better run blocker from what i've seen.

H

HardRightEdge

With Barclay playing reasonably well, I don't see us taking an OT in the top half of the draft. Despite the fact that Sherrod was reported to be limping around the practice field when he came off PUP, I suspect they'll go to camp with him penciled in for the 53-man roster. Too much raw talent, too much upside if he gets back to 100%. As a first round pick, he'll be given every benefit of the doubt.

In addition to the comments made in the just-resurrected Sherrod thread, an overlooked aspect to his development curve is the fact that he played almost exclusively with his hand out of the dirt at Miss St. That's quite a transition, and his progress was evident prior to the injury.

G/C is another matter. Saturday will likely be gone, and not just because he lost the starting job. The problem is he's a one-position player and not suitable as a backup at G. Van Roten might be the guy to fill the G/C backup spot...I've read he's been getting coached up at C.

In the final analysis, TT's record indicates he does not like taking interior OL with high picks, and I can't say I blame him. Spitz was the highest he's picked, in the third round.

All-in-all, I would not be surprised if we picked a G/C, but no higher than the third round. I'd also not be surprised if they picked no OL at all if they happen to think GVR would be adequate as a C backup.

They might well go the route of recent years refilling the pipeline via low picks / rookie FAs going to practice squad.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather see a healthy Sherrod at LT and Barclay at RT than Bulaga. I honestly think he's more suited for Guard as he looked bad at times this year. Barclay is a far better run blocker from what i've seen.

Bulaga was one of the best RTs in the league last season. He had a rough start to this season, but he was getting back to form in the weeks before his injury. Can't believe people have already given up on him. All people seem to remember is that Seattle game when they think of him.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga was one of the best RTs in the league last season. He had a rough start to this season, but he was getting back to form in the weeks before his injury. Can't believe people have already given up on him. All people seem to remember is that Seattle game when they think of him.

In his shortened season there was more bad than good. Ill agree with you the week or two leading up to his injury there was some improvement and he was looking to be moving the right direction. That being said I dont feel as if he showed enough improvement to get back to his dominant form of the past or to consider this season a very good one for him.I have no reason to believe he will not be the starting RT next year due more to his resume than this years performance.

I think the next week or two (hopefully more) will tell us more about the 2013 OL than anything. If EDS can step up and hold down the middle of the field for a deep playoff run I see no reason why he shouldn't start the season on the top of the depth chart at C. OG is locked down and probably the strongest part of the OL. RT as I stated before I think will be Bulaga and I just dont see Sherrod or Barclay being able to take Newhouse out of his spot without one of them having a HUGE offseason. McCarthy likes Newhouse and they feel comfortable with him out there. A few weeks ago I would have told you there is no way we dont seriously address the OL early in the draft but these guys are getting themselves together at the right time of the year and leaves me more excited for them than the idea of drafting someone new. I would expect a bottom half of the draft to draft 1 or two OL and then a few UDFA (as is tradition)

H

HardRightEdge

Yup. You don't throw away that kind of talent. Ditto on the SEA game perception.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assume they draft no one other than late round practice squad guys...

Is this a good enough OL roster to make people comfortable going into next year?

T: Bulaga, Newhouse, Barclay, Sherrod
G: Sitton, Lang
C/G: Dietrich-Smith, Van Roten

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He gave up like 4 sacks bro and worked all night...hard to forget that, it's also hard to call him one of the best rt in the league.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is this a good enough OL roster to make people comfortable going into next year?

ugh no Newhouse please.

H

HardRightEdge

He gave up like 4 sacks bro and worked all night...hard to forget that, it's also hard to call him one of the best rt in the league.

If you based cuts on one bad game, you'd eventually have to fold the franchise.

It should be noted Barclay can swing to G, which is probably his natural position. I can't say I'm "comfortable" with Van Roten, but then again I've not seen enough of him. That's not to say the coaching staff isn't comfortable.

I can't say I'm comfortable with Newhouse either over the long haul, but Sherrod's gonna get another camp to prove up unless there's some unremedial medical issues we're not being told about.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

T: Bulaga Sherrod Newhouse
G: Sitton Lang Barclay
G/C Deeds Ivy

Yeah I can dig it, so long as EDS pans out, and Sherrod comes back.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Pass blocking is more important than run blocking for Packers’ OL. Barclay has been getting help pass blocking so IMO some are jumping the gun anointing him the starter at RT next season. What he’s proven to me so far is he’s a legit backup and perhaps more. Perhaps. He’s certainly not overwhelmed starting and that’s impressive for an UDFA but as McGinn said in one of his reviews, he’s no Bulaga. And that’s OK – a legit backup is a valuable asset particularly at that cost. Next season I hope and expect Newhouse and Sherrod will fight it out for the starting LT spot. I expect the rest of the OL to be Lang, EDS, Sitton and Bulaga. I also hope and expect Thompson to draft a legit OC candidate.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you based cuts on one bad game, you'd eventually have to fold the franchise.

It should be noted Barclay can swing to G, which is probably his natural position. I can't say I'm "comfortable" with Van Roten, but then again I've not seen enough of him. That's not to say the coaching staff isn't comfortable.

I can't say I'm comfortable with Newhouse either over the long haul, but Sherrod's gonna get another camp to prove up unless there's some unremedial medical issues we're not being told about.

wouldn't cut him...bench yes.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Harder to forget an entire year of success before. If you'd honestly bench Bulaga for Barclay, I can honestly say I'm glad you're not coaching. Bulaga is by far the better pass blocker.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I said he was one of the best RTs in the league last season. Yes it's hard to forget the Seattle game, but he was getting better in the weeks before he was injured.

MiamiBeachPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his shortened season there was more bad than good. Ill agree with you the week or two leading up to his injury there was some improvement and he was looking to be moving the right direction. That being said I dont feel as if he showed enough improvement to get back to his dominant form of the past or to consider this season a very good one for him.I have no reason to believe he will not be the starting RT next year due more to his resume than this years performance.

I think the next week or two (hopefully more) will tell us more about the 2013 OL than anything. If EDS can step up and hold down the middle of the field for a deep playoff run I see no reason why he shouldn't start the season on the top of the depth chart at C. OG is locked down and probably the strongest part of the OL. RT as I stated before I think will be Bulaga and I just dont see Sherrod or Barclay being able to take Newhouse out of his spot without one of them having a HUGE offseason. McCarthy likes Newhouse and they feel comfortable with him out there. A few weeks ago I would have told you there is no way we dont seriously address the OL early in the draft but these guys are getting themselves together at the right time of the year and leaves me more excited for them than the idea of drafting someone new. I would expect a bottom half of the draft to draft 1 or two OL and then a few UDFA (as is tradition)

I agree that there was definitely more bad than good this season for Bulaga, but he is still a better pass protector than Barclay. Also have to agree with you on EDS. I really hope he steps up and proves that he can be the center of the present/future.

Members online

Latest posts