the NFL just released their Official Draft Rankings

garyhogeboomsghost

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-class-rankings-ravens-cowboys-vikes-clean-up

^^^full rankings 1-32 above. Vikings and Cowboys draft classes were ranked by the NFL 1 and 2 respectively. Pack came in at 32. Here is what the NFL had to say about our draft class.

» Round 1: (No. 26 overall) Jordan Love, QB, Utah State.
» Round 2: (62) AJ Dillon, RB, Boston College.
» Round 3: (94) Josiah Deguara, TE, Cincinnati.
» Round 5: (175) Kamal Martin, LB, Minnesota.
» Round 6: (192) Jon Runyan, OG, Michigan; (208) Jake Hanson, C, Oregon; (209) Simon Stepaniak, OG, Indiana.
» Round 7: (236) Vernon Scott, DB, TCU; (242) Jonathan Garvin, Edge, Miami (Fla.).

Palace intrigue in Titletown!

By now, you've heard all the juicy anecdotes surrounding Green Bay's stunning, STOP-THE-PRESSES selection of Love. But let's quickly review, because the drama here runs thick:

-- On draft day, Aaron Rodgers shared his Round 1 wishes with former punter/current sports talker Pat McAfee: "We haven't picked a skill player on the offensive side of the ball in the first round in 15 years, so that would be kind of cool if we finally did that." The Packers responded by ... trading up to draft his eventual replacement.
-- To Rodgers point regarding the organization refusing to draft offensive weapons in the first round to help out their star QB...of Rodgers' 364 career touchdown passes, exactly one has landed in the hands of a first-round pick. ( A 1-yard toss this past December to Marcedes Lewis, a former first-round pick of the Jacksonville Jaguars.)
-- Supreme Packers icon Brett Favre offered his thoughts on the situation in an appearance on the Rich Eisen Show after a conversation with Rodgers: " Tom Brady, and myself, Joe Montana and Peyton Manning, just to name a few, finished their career elsewhere. ... I think you're going to see that trend more and more, and I think Aaron will finish somewhere else. I have spoken with Aaron, and while what was said will remain private between the two of us, let's just say that I really think Green Bay burned some bridges with this draft. Let's just leave it at that"

Well alright! Now, to Rodgers' credit, Love said the two-time league MVP reached out to him on Friday to offer congratulations. Good on Rodgers. He has never been stupid (a bit of a phony, sure, but definitely not stupid), so he can play the PR game as well as anyone, or at least he thinks he can. But you have to imagine he's absolutely livid right now -- and this time, it's hard to blame him. The Pack spent their second-round pick on a hulking power back and their third-rounder on an H-back, while failing to snag a single receiver in a draft class that's purportedly historically deep at the position. Is Green Bay becoming ... a run-first operation? They do realize that the NFL is now a PASS FIRST league and they have an all-time great at QB, right?! When you add everything up, it's impossible not to be utterly obsessed with the ...

Palace intrigue in Titletown!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not an official NFL ranking. It is the opinion of the 2 people who wrote it. The NFL does not provide opinions on such matters although some of their writers do. These ranking are made by people no different than those writing for ESPN or CBS or any other news outlet and they should be given the exact same amount of credence...which is not a whole heck of a lot in my opinion.

Most people who grade drafts base their grades on how the players selected fit the team's needs. Needs not met = bad draft. Most people will tell you though that drafting for need is not the best way to go.

Nice try though trying to make it sound like the Packers officially failed the draft.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We strongly need to not call this "The NFL's Opinion" as that is not the case.

Nick Collins was a terrible pick, Davante Adams was a wasted high draft pick position the team didn't need....all things I've read over the years. Judgement on a draft class should never be taken seriously until about year 3 or later...when an actual picture of what it grew into or didn't happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

Judgement on a draft class should never be taken seriously until about year 3 or later...when an actual picture of what it grew into or didn't happens.

While that's true I haven't seen another draft class being as harshly and unanimously criticized than the Packers one from this year.

Unfortunately I have a gut feeling the experts will be right about it this time.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that's true I haven't seen another draft class being as harshly and unanimously criticized than the Packers one from this year.

Unfortunately I have a gut feeling the experts will be right about it this time.

None of us will know till time passes.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We strongly need to not call this "The NFL's Opinion" as that is not the case.

Nick Collins was a terrible pick, Davante Adams was a wasted high draft pick position the team didn't need....all things I've read over the years. Judgement on a draft class should never be taken seriously until about year 3 or later...when an actual picture of what it grew into or didn't happens.
What is there to grow into? They got a RB and HB in the first 4 rounds. Not a WR and secondary player, which are much more valuable positions in the NFL.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft is rated poorly, not because of the players talent, but because people are expecting quick answers for perceived needs. They want Rodgers placated rather than what is in the best interest of the Packers.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft is rated poorly, not because of the players talent, but because people are expecting quick answers for perceived needs. They want Rodgers placated rather than what is in the best interest of the Packers.
They want to see efforts made to win a SB. How is that not in the best interest of the Packers?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They got a RB and HB in the first 4 rounds. Not a WR and secondary player, which are much more valuable positions in the NFL.

Um....what? They actually got a QB, RB and a TE - well hybrid H Back style TE which you probably meant.

So the draft is a waste merely because no WRs or a CB was chosen...smh

What is there to grow into?

Well....let's see...as with EVERY draft it is always the same just positions and names change:

We got a athletic freak, albeit measurably, at running back with Dillon that could become with Jones the best two headed monster of a backfield Green Bay has had in a very long time.

Deguara has the potential to be a fluid feature in the MLF system with his flexibility to put his hand down in line, slide back to a "FB" alignment, split in slot and many say will excel on special teams immediately.

Kamal's tape from 2018 is insanely impressive to anyone that actually digs beyond a few highlights. His 2019 injury is concerning, but he could very easily grow into our #2 snap wise support behind Kirksey.

The three OL we drafted in the 6th all offer something very different and promising. Runyan a LT in the collegiate level for a successful program was an anchor along their front and many project him to be that swing guy most likely settling at a guard position. His experience outside though, he will be given a chance at immediately backing up Wagner along with Light and a few others. Hanson was my favorite Day 3 projected center to become our Linsley replacement and I think long term he has the best chance at out playing his drafted position of the 6th round. Stepniak, I know very little beyond when we drafted what I remember and that is the dude is FREAKISHLY STRONG....like STRONGMAN COMPETITIONS STRONG....his footwork progresses and he can easily grow into a solid back up I'd bet...I bet at least one of these three grow into a solid backup and perhaps a starter before their rookie deals are done.

Scott has the body frame and speed many successful safeties have in the league...but who knows. Athletic and versatile, hips are fluid...there is potential there to grow into at worst case a depth guy with ST contributions.

Garvin needs to bulk up and get coached up. However, at times this dude's rushing skills are special....very raw, with potential. Roll of the dice, but the concept of growing into something fits him very much so.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.....many "fans" want the organization's effort to win a Super Bowl fit your specific narrative or route.
So the goal of this year should be to win a SB in 5 years or so? Maybe if you're a rebuilding team. Not one which just went to the NFCCG and won 13 games.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They want to see efforts made to win a SB. How is that not in the best interest of the Packers?
You can draft some players that give you a 4% increase in winning the SB in the next 10 years

Or

You can draft players that give you a 2% chance of winning the SB the next 2 years and 10% the next 8 years.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me re-read what I wrote.....nope didn't say that at all.

so what did you mean then? as a "fan" i wanted at least 1 piece to the puzzle addressed in the draft. Great in time we'll see how one the top QB picks in 2020 turns out or how well the new running back turns out to be...which by then they will be coming into a new contract so maybe in 2024 we can redraft those skill positions again and stay on the bubble of getting to the superbowl...again. What i think everyone is pointing out is we went 13-3 and to a NFCCG, one game away...and we didn't get support to the areas that led us to a complete collapse. They way everyone justified this draft makes me wonder...who are the college 2021 studs going to be..or 2022...every year a new stud or loaded draft comes up, but this year we needed help at WR in a LOADED draft class and didn't take anyoneand we waited until the 5th round to draft a LB??? Gearing up for a run is great....but we made that run and have a few pieces missing and a narrow window to fill the gap for Rodgers to have weapons. We wiffed plain and simple. Sure everything is opinion at this point, but when every where you look the Packers draft grade is bottom barrel maybe take a second to consider that as having some relevance.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is not an official NFL ranking. It is the opinion of the 2 people who wrote it. The NFL does not provide opinions on such matters although some of their writers do. These ranking are made by people no different than those writing for ESPN or CBS or any other news outlet and they should be given the exact same amount of credence...which is not a whole heck of a lot in my opinion.

Most people who grade drafts base their grades on how the players selected fit the team's needs. Needs not met = bad draft. Most people will tell you though that drafting for need is not the best way to go.

Nice try though trying to make it sound like the Packers officially failed the draft.

Unfortunately these 2 writers are not alone is panning the Packers' draft this year. Almost every article out there grading this draft parrots this line of thinking. it is ALL about not drafting what they thought was our #1 need is = WR.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so what did you mean then? as a "fan" i wanted at least 1 piece to the puzzle addressed in the draft. Great in time we'll see how one the top QB picks in 2020 turns out or how well the new running back turns out to be...which by then they will be coming into a new contract so maybe in 2024 we can redraft those skill positions again and stay on the bubble of getting to the superbowl...again. What i think everyone is pointing out is we went 13-3 and to a NFCCG, one game away...and we didn't get support to the areas that led us to a complete collapse. They way everyone justified this draft makes me wonder...who are the college 2021 studs going to be..or 2022...every year a new stud or loaded draft comes up, but this year we needed help at WR in a LOADED draft class and didn't take anyoneand we waited until the 5th round to draft a LB??? Gearing up for a run is great....but we made that run and have a few pieces missing and a narrow window to fill the gap for Rodgers to have weapons. We wiffed plain and simple. Sure everything is opinion at this point, but when every where you look the Packers draft grade is bottom barrel maybe take a second to consider that as having some relevance.

Declaring an utter whiff illustrates your lack of experience with drafts and how the story is never told not even a month removed from it...carry on with your drabble. Clearly you don't remember when we drafted a QB we didn't need, a TINY school safety with our second pick and our entire fan base was incredibly frustrated and most pissed.....one has become a HoF QB and the other would have possible become the greatest safety to play had he not been injured.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What if Kirksey is the player to bolster the middle of this defense by being an improvement over Martinez? Yes, we didn't address a defensive need until late in the draft but we also addressed it in FA.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also add, IF Gute had picked say Mims, Higgins, Pittman or a WR when we traded up.....THE ENTIRE TUNE WOULD BE CHANGED and folks magically would look at every other pick differently...which is why the ignorance so many are expressing about the entire draft merely because they're pissed about the Love pick is misguided. I myself wanted a WR, I wanted Pittman or Aiyuk when we traded up or shoot I'd have settled for Mims and while not happy would have even been okay with Higgins....but still the rest of this draft they lined up spots and guys that fit what MLF system is working towards becoming. Are they whom and where I'd have taken guys no, but still not bad.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's also remember that we've added arguably a Day 2 type guy in Funchess and a Day 3 flyer in Begelton to the WR corps already.....plus EQ is healthy....One could argue Gute & Co. already has given Aaron the same thing as if he'd taken a WR at 62 and then a 6th or so rounder on WR.

JohnnyBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious if people would consider this a terrible draft if the Packers win the Superbowl in 2 years with Rogers at QB, a running attack similar to the Broncos of 97 with Dillon carrying the load at RB, and Deguara pulling in 10 TDs on the season at TE/HB/Flex? Maybe Love steps in and goes .500 for a couple games that Rodgers misses.

Not saying it will happen, but it's fun to think of the possibilities.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious if people would consider this a terrible draft if the Packers win the Superbowl in 2 years with Rogers at QB, a running attack similar to the Broncos of 97 with Dillon carrying the load at RB, and Deguara pulling in 10 TDs on the season at TE/HB/Flex? Maybe Love steps in and goes .500 for a couple games that Rodgers misses.

Not saying it will happen, but it's fun to think of the possibilities.

People's tune would change if the Love pick at #26 and our 4th round just didn't exist. Folks are judging the ENTIRE draft and EVERY player purely by the fallout of the first pick disagreeing with their vision.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Declaring an utter whiff illustrates your lack of experience with drafts and how the story is never told not even a month removed from it...carry on with your drabble. Clearly you don't remember when we drafted a QB we didn't need, a TINY school safety with our second pick and our entire fan base was incredibly frustrated and most pissed.....one has become a HoF QB and the other would have possible become the greatest safety to play had he not been injured.
Enough with the revisionist history. GB didn't have some magical foresight, they got incredibly lucky with Rodgers. As for Collins, if GB had a track record of drafting well and proving fans wrong, you'd have a point. But he definitely seems to be an anomaly in a long line of players such as Josh Jones, Josh Jackson, Kevin King, Quentin Rollins, demarious Randall, datone Jones, jerel worthy, Derrick sherrod, Nick Perry, etc, etc, etc.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Enough with the revisionist history. GB didn't have some magical foresight, they got incredibly lucky with Rodgers. As for Collins, if GB had a track record of drafting well and proving fans wrong, you'd have a point. But he definitely seems to be an anomaly in a long line of players such as Josh Jones, Josh Jackson, Kevin King, Quentin Rollins, demarious Randall, datone Jones, jerel worthy, Derrick sherrod, Nick Perry, etc, etc, etc.

Oh my God, I'm merely using historical references in similar situations to what is playing out now. No **** sherlock there are picks that have been booms and picks that have been busts......I however won't use any of those to make a declaration of a draft class that hasn't even seen a play in the NFL yet. It is ignorant to do so either direction.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts