The Next Packer Kicker?

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the next Packer Kicker?

Crosby for me.

Any kicker who makes the opposition start on their 20 every time is good enough for me.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Who is the next Packer Kicker?

Why do the three choices only add up to 98%?
Because they did not use accurate numbers. They used integers which round down instead of up. Who Knows and Crosby each should have 1% higher after its rounded.

Rayner - 3 - 7.31%
Crosby - 36 - 87.80%
Who Knows - 2 - 4.87%

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hope they both keep kicking the snot out of the ball, so we can land something via a trade when the time comes. If things remain the same, I see Crosby winning the job. # 1 he is a draft choice; # 2 more consistent this camp; #3 stronger leg.

Depending how the roster shakes out, they may keep 2 after the final cutdown, just for the purposes of a trade shortly thereafter.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=649165

Kickers create a surplus. But Packers could struggle finding a trade partner.

Sometime in the next two weeks, the Green Bay Packers are going to decide to keep either Dave Rayner or Mason Crosby as their kicker. But this year, most National Football League teams appear settled with their kicking games, and if there is a team interested in the loser of the Packers' competition, it's questionable whether it would spend a draft pick in a trade instead of just waiting for someone to get cut. There aren't any teams that can be categorized as desperate for a kicker at this stage of training camp. Only three teams - Green Bay, Kansas City and Dallas - have rookies who are in serious contention for a starting job and few others have a young kicker who is going to win the job. Of the teams that would probably consider an upgrade, Atlanta, Kansas City, Oakland, Tampa Bay, Washington and the New York Giants are the most likely to be keeping a watch on the Packers' competition.

Atlanta and Kansas City are probably the most likely to consider a trade, although neither team has a serious problem at the position. The Falcons are going with Billy Cundiff, who lost out to Rayner in Packers training camp last year, and the Chiefs are going with rookie Justin Medlock, a fifth-round pick who has made two of four field-goal attempts this summer. A few teams would definitely consider Rayner as a kickoff man if he were the one to lose out, but it's hard to imagine anyone making a trade to fill that need. What's more, the loser of the Rayner-Crosby battle won't be the only kicker available come cutdown time. The St. Louis Rams have been impressed with Kevin Lowell, who has hit all four of his field-goal attempts and averaged 62.8 yards on his kickoffs. Lowell won't beat out veteran Jeff Wilkins and will be on the street sometime in the next two weeks. Thompson said experience told him not to rule out the possibility that the Packers could find a trading partner once they decide which kicker they're going to keep. He said it was likely a team or two are following the Packers' kicking situation just in case.

"It varies," Thompson said. "I certainly think it's in the realm of possibility that someone might be shopping. At the same time, you just never know how it's going to work out." Asked if another NFL team had told Thompson to keep it in mind once it makes a decision on its kicker, the Packers general manager was coy. "Maybe," Thompson said. Maybe? "Maybe." And that means? "I can't tell you."

At this point, no one in the organization will say whether one of the kickers has an edge, but based purely on practice and game numbers, Crosby, a sixth-round pick, has been slightly better. He passed one significant test Saturday night against Seattle when he kicked in rainy conditions, nailing a 37-yard field goal and three extra points. Still, Rayner has made better than 80% of his field-goal attempts thus far, and his kickoffs have been longer. This week will be yet another case of head-to-head competition for the two young kickers, with the third exhibition against Jacksonville scheduled for Thursday. Last year, the Packers cut Cundiff midway through camp so Rayner could have the luxury of handling all the kicks in preparation for the start of the season. It won't be that way this year because the race is too tight to call at this point. Thompson said he was not even thinking about trade possibilities at this point. "We're still in the competition thing so we're just sitting back and watching," he said. "We don't keep (running) score, we just go through the process and we'll see how it comes out. Both of them are doing fine."

Note: TT was his usual funny, funny self.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DECISION TIME: BY SATURDAY

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/28/packers-to-giants-you-guys-need-a-kicker/

Packers to Giants: You Guys Need a Kicker?

It's no secret that the New York Giants are in need of a kicker, and it just so happens that the Green Bay Packers may have a solution for them. hortly before the Giants 20-12 loss to the New York Jets on Saturday -- a game in which Lawrence Tynes and Josh Huston missed a combined three field goals -- the Packers phoned Giants G.M. Jerry Reese and offered one of their two kickers in exchange for a low draft pick. Although David Rayner and Mason Crosby have only seen limited action in the preseason, neither kicker has yet to miss a field goal. That's a far cry from the Giants pair, whom have made only 50% of their opportunities. "I certainly was disappointed because the nine points were the difference makers," Coughlin said of the Giants' 20-12 loss. "But hopefully we can improve upon that." Rather than trading a low round draft pick, the Giants may test their luck by waiting until Green Bay cuts one of the two. They may also examine the free agent market once other teams are done trimming their rosters.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/08/27/packers-might-keep-two-kickers/

Keep Two Kickers?

The Packers say they like both of the kickers they've had in training camp, incumbent Dave Rayner and rookie Mason Crosby, and they like them enough that they might keep both of them on the 53-man regular-season roster. "We continue to talk about keeping the best 53, and the way those two guys are kicking the football, you could make an argument for that, " McCarthy said. "I think you just clearly have to say these two kickers definitely deserve to be on your football team. I don 't know how you can argue that. " Sorry, but "the best 53" sounds better in theory than it works in practice. The Packers wouldn't be the first team to keep two placekickers, but NFL seasons are long, players get hurt, and it won't be long until the defensive line or the receiving corps or the linebackers or some other position is beset by injuries. That's when the Packers are going to find that handcuffing the roster by keeping two kickers is a bad idea. So which one should they get rid of? Rayner. He may be a bit better on kickoffs, but he just doesn't have the accuracy necessary on field goals. Crosby can handle the place kicking job alone.

:pop: :pop:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FINAL PRESEASON GAME: FINAL TEST

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=653898

Kicking competition still unsettled. Packers don't indicate what they'll do

A miss here, a miss there, there's not much Dave Rayner and Mason Crosby can do about it now. After 114 field-goal attempts apiece in practice and three conversions in three tries in exhibition games, there's almost nothing to distinguish one from the other. The two will kick again Thursday night against Tennessee but barring a major meltdown, the results are in and it's up to Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson to decide what to do. Cut Rayner? Cut Crosby? Trade one or the other? Keep both? It's too close to call at this point....

Rayner is the incumbent in this race and although his success rate on practice field goals (92 of 114, 80.7%) is slightly worse than Crosby's (98 of 114, 86%), he has a year of NFL experience and is more of a known commodity. Crosby, a sixth-round pick, has been cool as a cucumber during camp, but he hasn't faced the pressure of kicking in the Metrodome with 64,000 screaming fans in his ear. The logical assumption, if the Packers don't keep both kickers, is that Rayner would draw more interest in the trade market than Crosby because of his experience and outstanding kickoffs. The Packers will be keeping a close eye on the exhibition finales of the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants, both of whom have unsettled kicking situations. In addition, the Atlanta Falcons found out Monday night that punter Michael Koenen might not be their best option for long field goals when he missed from 54 and 53 yards against Cincinnati. Kicker Billy Cundiff has hit six of seven attempts this summer but he doesn't have a strong leg and probably would need help on kickoffs and long field-goal attempts.

The one thing the coaches and personnel people have done is keep both kickers in the dark about their status. They have not favored one over the other as indicated by the equal number of field-goal attempts they've taken in practice and games. Crosby said he had no idea what the criteria would be, but he thinks hitting the right rhythm at the right time has given the coaches something to think about. Before missing from 52 yards Monday, Crosby had connected on 14 consecutive field goals in practice. There is a possibility that if the Packers don't get the trade they want before the 53-man cutdown date Saturday, they'll hang on to both kickers and wait until a team faces a kicking crisis before offering one of the two in a trade. They might be able to greatly increase their leverage that way. How exactly the kicking would be split up should both kickers remain is anybody's guess.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers poll

Asked if another NFL team had told Thompson to keep it in mind once it makes a decision on its kicker, the Packers general manager was coy. "Maybe," Thompson said. Maybe? "Maybe." And that means? "I can't tell you."

Thompson must be a reporters worst nightmare.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Official site: Packers poll

[align=center]http://www.packers.com

OFFICIAL PACKERS SITE LARGE POLL [38000]:

What should the Packers do at kicker?

Keep Mason Crosby 43%

Keep Dave Rayner 25%

Keep both of them 31%
[/align]

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson may want to call Cincy. They just lost their second kicker in as many weeks.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Packers cut kicker Rayner

The Green Bay Packers have decided to go with rookie Mason Crosby as their kicker and have released incumbent Dave Rayner. Rayner told the Press-Gazette this afternoon that he had been released after the team made several attempts to trade him. “They said it was the hardest decision they had to make at any position,” Rayner said when reached on his cell phone. “It was one of those things where I don’t think I could have done any more. I was fighting an uphill battle the whole way after the draft.”

Rayner won the kicking job last summer over veteran Billy Cundiff and made 26 of 35 field goals during the regular season, but General Manager Ted Thompson shook up the special teams when he drafted Crosby out of Colorado in the sixth round of April’s draft.

“Who knows, maybe I’ll be back here someday,” Rayner said. “You never know if he’s the guy long-term or a quick fix.”

The Packers are expected to announce their cuts in a few hours. The NFL deadline for reducing rosters to 53 players is 5 p.m., Central time.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the kept the right Kicker. Crosby impressed me the most even with the miss against Tennessee.

Staff online

Members online