The new staff is what gives me hope

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The moves that TT is making, and the reports back about how the players respect MM is what gives me hope for this season. It sounds like finally we're building in a long term direction.

Who ever hired Sherman and made him GM and HC ought to apologize publicly to the Packer fans. He may have been capable at one or the other, but CERTAINLY not both. It's also funny that other teams apparently think he's only worthy of an Asst position. I never hated Sherman, but he never impressed me. He lulled me to sleep and ruined my hope for GB.

I think this has all been turned around.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets put it this way, he was a position coach maybe not ready for HC at the time. He then was thrust into a GM role that he was definately not ready for, while also maintaining the HC position. Some of his staff hirings were questionable, most notably OC and DC's. I don't think any of us are qualified to judge position coaches, so I won't comment.

At least the new staff brings hope for better things, and the initial reports we read are positive.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea....let's get the two architects (Wolf and Harlan) that brought back the Lombardi trophy and respect to Green Bay that had been missing for 25 years, publicly apologize to the "fans" of Green Bay. :roll:

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Harlan and Wolf are responsible for both the Superbowl win and Sherman, than yes, I do think they need to admit their error. You can choose which one you'd like it to be.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
The moves that TT is making, and the reports back about how the players respect MM is what gives me hope for this season. It sounds like finally we're building in a long term direction.

Who ever hired Sherman and made him GM and HC ought to apologize publicly to the Packer fans. He may have been capable at one or the other, but CERTAINLY not both. It's also funny that other teams apparently think he's only worthy of an Asst position. I never hated Sherman, but he never impressed me. He lulled me to sleep and ruined my hope for GB.

I think this has all been turned around.

I agree. I think Sherman was a solid Head Coach. Not a SB winning one. Obviously i believe he inhertied a team that should've won at least one more Super Bowl or at least get there. We didn't get buy round 2 of the playoffs with him.

As for GM he was horrible. He wasn't ready for the job. He didn't know what he was doing. Looking at his draft it looked like he wasn't prepare. I can't believe he traded up for a punter. He spended money left and right which is why Thompson didn't have the cash to resign Wahle in the first place. Guys like Cledius Hunt, Joe Johnson, and now KGB and Robert Ferguson are still killing us. That was all Sherman. He also gave up on Terry Glenn after one year sd well. The best move he ended up making was trading for Al Harris. Outside of that I thought he was awful as a GM. If only Holmgrem would've wait one more year.

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman did put his heart and soul into Green Bay and produced some winning seasons. Time marches on and so did Sherman. That being said I will say...yes prematurely... l love the new coaches style way, way more. Let's hope it all comes together.

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one thing that I did like about Sherman was when he got in Sapp's face for the cheap shot... but that was years ago, and yes I'm glad that both GB and MS have moved onward.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahhh man timmons... why did you have to remind me of that cheap shot. that makes me sick to think about still to this day... all the panther fans (who also hate tampa bay) who live around here were sick about it too.... sapp is a an overrated peice of garbage if you ask me. PUT A JERSEY ON.... PUT A JERSEY ON. me and my friends still quote that lard bucket when we need something to make fun of. sherman shoulda jabbed him in the neck with his pen....

sorry what happened i blacked out for a second

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Yea....let's get the two architects (Wolf and Harlan) that brought back the Lombardi trophy and respect to Green Bay that had been missing for 25 years, publicly apologize to the "fans" of Green Bay. :roll:

Amazing how quickly some forget huh?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Sherman gave the Packers some good years, do not forget he had only a single losing season, but all things come to an end and it was time for the Packers to move on.

Hopefully, the Packers organisation has found it's man after thoroughly exploring the options out there, one might agree or disagree with the choice, but the hiring of McCarthy will undoubtedly stay a questionmark till after this or maybe next season. I don't think we should expect a winning season his first year, but hopefully we'll see improvement already. Also one shall not underestimate the effect of a change of setting.

I hope, and we all hope that Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy are starting a new era and a new winning tradition in Green Bay, hopefully they will also bring back the Lambeau mystic.

I'm at least a believer.

Fizz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Under Mike Holmgren the Packers had a 39-3 streak @ Lambeau. Add on the 5-0 playoff record @ Lambeau under Holmgren and you get 44-3.

Incredible!

OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:

It comes down to this: Was Sherman acceptable as a GM and HC? If yes, then you need to proceed no further. If not, then ask yourself who hired him and gave him all of that responsibility.

I don't think he was up to Green Bay's standards, and I know he wasn't up to mine, so I think to myself, "How did the hiring parties choose him for this role". If Harlan and Wolf are the responsible parties for bringing respect back to Green Bay, then why in all of their greatness, did they turn right around and put Sherman in charge?

Somethings work out and some don't. I wanted to appreciate Sherman. He worked long hard hours, was loyal and provided ZERO bad media. However, I don't believe he had any leadership ability and that played out on the field.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons....I'm not taking issue with your opinion that it didn't work out. I just don't think it is necessary for Harlan or Wolf to "apologize publicly to the Packer fans". After all they have done it isn't necessary. Harlan admitted to his "mistake" by taking the GM position from him. Besides, publicly apologizing would be, not only an embarassment to Wolf and Harlan, it would be a slap in the face to Sherman.

The Packer organization has too much class to do that.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:
Yea....let's get the two architects (Wolf and Harlan) that brought back the Lombardi trophy and respect to Green Bay that had been missing for 25 years, publicly apologize to the "fans" of Green Bay. roll

It comes down to this Was Sherman acceptable as a GM and HC? If yes, then you need to proceed no further. If not, then ask yourself who hired him and gave him all of that responsibility.

I don't think he was up to Green Bay's standards, and I know he wasn't up to mine, so I think to myself, "How did the hiring parties choose him for this role". If Harlan and Wolf are the responsible parties for bringing respect back to Green Bay, then why in all of their greatness, did they turn right around and put Sherman in charge?

Somethings work out and some don't. I wanted to appreciate Sherman. He worked long hard hours, was loyal and provided ZERO bad media. However, I don't believe he had any leadership ability and that played out on the field.

First of all, let me applaud you on the topic Timmons. I feel the same enthusiasm for the new coaching staff. I think our defense will be good and by the end of the year, very good. I believe by mid season our offense should resemble something positive.

As for the Sherman thing, I think he was an above average coach. He is a very good man who embodies goodness and respect. What he lacked as a coach was the ability to counterpunch. When somebody threw something at him he didn't know about, he was lost. I think he stunk as a GM which is why he is no longer here. I think both Sherman and Holmgren failed with the duo role. It is too much for any one person.

I do not harbor any bad feelings for MS because in my mind standing up to Warren Sack, and going back the next year to shove the ball down his throat, overshadows anything negative about him, even 4th and 26.

I have no opinions of MM yet. I do like the fact that he is a Western Pennsylvania guy like Cower. Time will tell, we had a good draft, but I still am nervous about the offense.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's ironic that Holmgren left because he wanted that GM job and then it didn't work out for him either.

If Sherman was good at either one he would most certainly still be with the Pack in at least one capacity,or, with some other team.

In the Sherman era we saw very little change, very few upgrades, we lost more ground than gained in talent and depth, and as the years went by it began to show.

Now we see change all around. New staff, new schemes, new players. I am glad to see this happen rather than just trying to hold onto something that was obviously not heading in the right direction.

From all the reports the players including the older guys, fa's, rookies, all seem to be buying into it. The off season workouts went really well and the guys are working thier tails off in the mini's.

so from here we'll see where it goes but I expect to see us moving where we need to be rather than standing still and getting a 4-12 to stare at.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Timmons said:
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:

It comes down to this: Was Sherman acceptable as a GM and HC? If yes, then you need to proceed no further. If not, then ask yourself who hired him and gave him all of that responsibility.

Life is about risks, chances, oppurtunities and unfortunately failure.
You live, you learn you move on. The Packers tried a direction, it failed, they are doing their best to correct it.

If the Packers apologized to me I would refuse it and tell them 'hey we all makes mistakes, lets learn from it and move on' because thats what I believe you do when you make a mistake. You pick up the pieces, you learn as much as you can to prevent it from happening again and you most importantly, move on.

Members online

Latest posts