The new Kenny Clark, THE BEST NT!

Reaction score
Great article.
Im a firm believer that best recipe at Lambeau in cold weather is a staunch Defensive unit (ideally one that forces Takeways) and an elite Running game. Keeping teams under <10 points per half allows the Packers to slow the game down and Run the ball.
Don’t mistake me as saying Rodgers isn’t important. Once our opponent sells out to stop that committed Run game by putting 8 in the box? #12 is one of the best QB’s around at making them pay for being over zealous.

Kenny Clark has been a regular top 5 iDT, but moreover he has not had help. He just got big time help with Reed and Wyatt and keeping him fresh and pairing him with another disruptive force will only elevate him even more. If we slow the game down running more and keep Rodgers upright, we can achieve an <19.0 points allowed Defense. That’s an area that Rodgers will thrive and will keep Matt’s playbook in full bloom

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Great article.
Im a firm believer that best recipe at Lambeau in cold weather is a staunch Defensive unit (ideally one that forces Takeways) and an elite Running game. Keeping teams under <10 points per half allows the Packers to slow the game down and Run the ball.
Don’t mistake me as saying Rodgers isn’t important. Once our opponent sells out to stop that committed Run game by putting 8 in the box? #12 is one of the best QB’s around at making them pay for being over zealous.

Kenny Clark has been a regular top 5 iDT, but moreover he has not had help. He just got big time help with Reed and Wyatt and keeping him fresh and pairing him with another disruptive force will only elevate him even more. If we slow the game down running more and keep Rodgers upright, we can achieve an <19.0 points allowed Defense. That’s an area that Rodgers will thrive and will keep Matt’s playbook in full bloom
Lost that type of game last year??? playoffs

Reaction score
Lost that type of game last year??? playoffs
Yes. We can thank our ST again
The contest you are referring to was really the recipe for success. However you can’t have multiple blocked K or P resulting in the loss of direct points. In this case 10 points.

We should expect to see more of that type D in the playoffs now that we brought in D reinforcements. Keeping Clark fresh without much dropoff is going to pay dividends.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. We can thank our ST again
The contest you are referring to was really the recipe for success. However you can’t have multiple blocked K or P resulting in the loss of direct points. In this case 10 points.

We should expect to see more of that type D in the playoffs now that we brought in D reinforcements. Keeping Clark fresh without much dropoff is going to pay dividends.

you can also thank our offense for that loss, too. We could only score 10 points against them at home? I know weather wasn't awesome, but sheesh.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article.

This has probably been the recipe GB should've been using all along. Rodgers came to GB and inherited (starting 2008) 4 viable all around WRs in Driver, Jones, Nelson, and Jennings.

Talk about spoiled.

Those receivers developed Rodgers into the best of the best, and rather quickly.

As those stars faded, Davante Adams ascends.

Well, now Adams is gone. Tangible assets are hard to find at WR.

So what are we left with now for the 2022 NFL season?

Intent on addressing team weaknesses (i.e. Special teams)? ✔

An impressive accumulation of defensive talent? ✔

Strong run game? ✔

Accurate QB with gametime intelligence that can minimize mistakes? ✔

Sometimes a team coalesces when a star player leaves and this might be the year Green Bay fulfills the name of Titletown.

I am gaining more and more confidence in this possibility.

D

Deleted member 6794

you can also thank our offense for that loss, too. We could only score 10 points against them at home? I know weather wasn't awesome, but sheesh.

AJ Dillon getting injured during the game was a huge factor for the offense struggling.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Interesting article, thanks for sharing it.

While the national media might not be aware of just how good Kenny Clark has been, is, and can be, I think it's fairly common knowledge around these parts. If TJ Slaton continues to emerge, he could eventually take over at nose tackle and allow Clark to move over to edge...Where there are fewer double-teams. Then we might see Kenny put up some gawdy numbers that might catch the attention of a sports media that seems routinely unaware of any Packer not named Aaron Rodgers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh I'd still argue it was early for him, but I loved him as a prospect...happy we didn't risk waiting another round on him.
The thing about draft picks is you have to pick your guy even though a lot of people say you could have gotten him later.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about draft picks is you have to pick your guy even though a lot of people say you could have gotten him later.

Oh 100%. I was one that loved the prospect just felt it was early. There is always the risk a guy you have circled doesn't fall. This year I had two guys circled much higher than they went yet they fell to us Doubs I had in top 70 and Tom I had top 100...both fell....they could have just as easily been picked early.

D

Deleted member 6794

If TJ Slaton continues to emerge, he could eventually take over at nose tackle and allow Clark to move over to edge...Where there are fewer double-teams. Then we might see Kenny put up some gawdy numbers that might catch the attention of a sports media that seems routinely unaware of any Packer not named Aaron Rodgers.

Clark might put up better stats as a 3-technique but the Packers should definitely not move him to the edge. In my opinion he's best suited to line up at nose tackle though.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark might put up better stats as a 3-technique but the Packers should definitely not move him to the edge. In my opinion he's best suited to line up at nose tackle though.

Maybe, but perhaps not every down.

We'll see what Coach Barry decides soon enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe, but perhaps not every down.

We'll see what Coach Barry decides soon enough.

Clark will definitely receive snaps at 3-technique as well. But at 314 pounds it wouldn't make any sense to line him up on the edge.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark will definitely receive snaps at 3-technique as well. But at 314 pounds it wouldn't make any sense to line him up on the edge.
We'll see.

I can envision him being over the center on third and one, and on the edge on third and seven. LeFleur's staff has shown a willingness to think outside the box.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can envision him being over the center on third and one, and on the edge on third and seven. LeFleur's staff has shown a willingness to think outside the box.

I'm sorry but it doesn't make any sense to line up Clark on the edge instead of Preston, Gary or any of the backups at outside linebacker on an obvious passing down.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but it doesn't make any sense to line up Clark on the edge instead of Preston, Gary or any of the backups at outside linebacker on an obvious passing down.

I'm not suggesting playing him at linebacker...Just moving him to the end of the line instead of over center. Slaton can eat up the double teams.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not suggesting playing him at linebacker...Just moving him to the end of the line instead of over center. Slaton can eat up the double teams.
Like some others; I'm doubting it. But I guess if we have a lead; he could try it. But if he does not want to be out there I don't see any reason to put him there.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The problem is Edge is an OLB in our system. To suggest he should play edge is no different to saying he should play DE in a wide-9 (Jim Schwartz) 4-3. Honestly, less nuts, since most 3-4s don't play their OLBs as side as ends in a Wide-9.

Yes, he could be a 4/5T end in certain situations, but he's not an edge player. Edge requires outside contain responsibilities.

Reaction score
You’ll see Wyatt or Clark occasionally playing 4-5T with hands in the dirt. That’s an advantage and option we really haven’t had in the recent past.

Can you imagine giving Gary a rest and having Wyatt, Clark, Reed, Smith, with Campbell and Walker backing them.

Then spelling Clark you’ve got Gary, Lowry, Reed, Wyatt backed up by Campbell and Walker.

Or Resting Reed and going with Gary, Wyatt, Slaton, Clark Preston etc..

Joe Barry has it made. I’d be telling those DB’s get ready to play WR and practice scooping and high pointing and play aggressive when down shallow. there’s going to be lots of hurried wild throws.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’ll see Wyatt or Clark occasionally playing 4-5T with hands in the dirt. That’s an advantage and option we really haven’t had in the recent past.

Can you imagine giving Gary a rest and having Wyatt, Clark, Reed, Smith, with Campbell and Walker backing them.

Then spelling Clark you’ve got Gary, Lowry, Reed, Wyatt backed up by Campbell and Walker.

Yikes.

Lowry is a better down lineman right now than Wyatt is I bet personally...and am pretty confident. So I see him as a guy like Reed that will help spell Lowry and Clark.

Reaction score
Lowry is a better down lineman right now than Wyatt is I bet personally...and am pretty confident. So I see him as a guy like Reed that will help spell Lowry and Clark.
Sure. There’s lots of combo options that’s what’s exciting. You want to hear something crazy?
I was looking at speed and agility. Here is
Devonte Wyatt
1.6sec 10yd 2.73X20yd 4.77X40

compared to

Preston Smith
1.60sec 10yd 2.73X20yd 4.74X40

Members online

Latest posts