1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

The Milwaukee Bucks

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Shawnsta3, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    So they trade for J.J Reddick. He helps solve their 3 point shooting woes. Basically Mike Dunleavy 2.0. Alright. But they had to give up Tobias Harris, Beno Udrih and Doron Lamb in the process. That is what frustrates me about the Milwaukee Bucks. They are ALWAYS stuck in that in-between level, fighting for that perennial 6th seed.

You see, they are never bad enough to get the #1 draft pick. They are never that good to be a Finals threat. They draft talented young guys, then sign guys like Joel Pryzbilla to play in front of them not letting them mature. Then, they trade their young players who weren't even playing for another mediocre player-- J.J Reddick. This is what almost ended up happening to Larry Sanders. Oh hey, and lets give our masterful GM an extension after all of this. On the bright side, Hammond isn't as bad as Larry Harris was.

Maybe we get lucky. Maybe Ellis denies his option for next year. Maybe we don't resign Reddick this off-season. Maybe we don't resign Jennings this off-season. Maybe we trade Illyasova this off-season to the Nets. Maybe we can finally rebuild. Maybe. But it won't happen.

It has gotten to the point where I don't even care if the team is sent somewhere else. They don't have a rich history here. Par from those first years with Kareem and the Big "O". They don't have a rich present. And if they keep running things the way they do, they won't have a rich future either.

//Rant ended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    Shouldn't this post be merged with "The Living Dead" thread? heh heh heh...

I lost my taste for the NBA product many years ago ... probably about the time the entire flippin' league abandoned defensive play and chose to ignore traveling to accommodate flashy, one-handed slam dunks. Ohhhh... Earl the Pearl, Walt Frazier, Oscar Robertson, John Havlicek, Bill Russell, Wilt, Lew Alcindor, Nate Thurmond, Nate Archibald, Willis Reed, Billy Cunningham ... where have ye gone?

3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,976
    I dont watch NBA at all..

I stopped watching back in the late 90's maybe 2001...

There will NEVER be anyone like MJ, Larry or Magic...I would tune in to watch those games...

Money has caused to many issues for the entire league..

4. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    So...how is it fixed? I'm curious as a one-time fan. Do the Bucks need a new deep pockets owner? If the Senator sells the Bucks, it's a given that they'll be moved - I recall when he bought the Bucks...it was to "keep 'em here". I've heard grumbling on TMJ 620 (nothing new there, huh? If it's not one thing...they're grumbling about a different inane thing) about the Bradley Center and it's aging infrastructure. That the Bucks can't afford big time names due to the "amenities" ... you know, the usual schtick when they're trying to get money from the private sector to subsidize... which really, when you come right down to it - is pure crap.

It wasn't lost on me that even the Pack had difficulty getting help renovating Lambeau. THEY however, didn't make their move until AFTER they won Super Bowl 31 and appeared in SB 32. If the Bucks put the product on the court, the fans will show up. They've been happy with mediocrity.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    They need a hard cap in the NBA, a few less games, and a few less teams. You have a dozen teams that will never be competitive in the league bc they cant afford to be. Focus on team building with a hard cap and the best front office will win, not the one with the single best player as it seems to be. Its insane that Lebron took a lottery team to the finals.

People who wrote off the NBA are missing some of the best athletes on the planet. Lebron is absolutely amazing. An unbelievable talent.

I vomit when I hear people praise college basketball for being "pure". The NCAA is a scam org that claims its putting the kids first when all they are doing is exploiting them.

6. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    I think it could be done with the owner we have. It'd certainly be easier with more money, but Los Angeles is paying luxury tax up the *** this year and still can't get over .500%

No free agent will ever want to go to Milwaukee, Cleveland or Minnesota. It's just the way it is. San Antonio and OKC faced this problem also. You know how they got better? They bottomed out one year, got a high pick and drafted for a number of years extremely well. Milwaukee should take a page out of OKC's playbook.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for a different owner or for a new team. My problem is solely management based.

When Senator Herb Kohl ends his run with the Bucks I wouldn't be surprised if they move to Seattle.

7. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,063
    I'm certainly not advocating that "I could not care any less if they weren't around"... we in Wisconsin are something of an anomaly where professional sports teams are concerned. A state of 5.8 million having 3 major league sports franchises ... and there is something about having a major league sports franchise that separates the area from similarly populated areas that don't. There is an old blurb that goes, "Were it not for the Green Bay Packers, Green Bay, Wisconsin would be Fargo." True enough.

I have to say though...prior to beginning the aura that started in 1992 ... no professional athletes wanted to come to Green Bay, WI neither. Now, it's kind of an afterthought. In my opinion, the Bucks need to pay BIG dollars to draw an NBA equivalent of Ron Wolf and let him run the show. I don't pretend to know who that guy is but, that is where they need to start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    Combine the main point of the last two posts above and what do you get? Oklahoma people don't have anything else to root - pro, anyway, so they followed the Thunder as they bottomed out - which might not happen for a half century old franchise. To be more precise, OKC started at the bottom as an expansion team and got that pick to take Durant. Uh ........ does that sound a little bit about the pattern followed by a different team? The Coin Flip heard around the world? That was parlayed into more than two decades of great basketball. I'm afraid, though, that the Bucks couldn't stand a bottoming out now - and remain in Milwaukee - given the sports alternatives we entitled Packer/Badger fans have.

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,078
    Durrant was drafted by Seattle. They weren't an expansion team per say, but a relocation team.

10. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    Yeah, how'd that J.J Reddick trade work out? It's not like I called that or anything.

Usually, I am in the side saying how hard it is to coach or manage a team, that it's easy to be a sofa GM, but to give the REAL GM's a break. Not in this case. I think I could honestly do a better job.

Over/ under on how many playoff games they win this year? I'll put it at 0.5.

11. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    About 30 games ago, I bet my son that the Bucks would end with a losing record but probably have a playoff berth. At the time they were like 2-3 games over .500

12. Pat4DaPack

Pat4DaPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Went to 2 Bucks games over winter break. Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings on the same team is just amazing to watch.

13. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,023
    New coach coming and again rebuilding.

14. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    If by "amazing" you are referring to the combo with the most missed shots in the NBA this year, then yes, amazing.

They are exciting to watch, but not effective.

15. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +370
    Good asset management by the Bucks.. if you forget the original asset. We traded Tobias Harris & Doron Lamb for J.J Reddick, which turned into two second round picks. Executive of the year right there folks. I'm just waiting for the middle of the year when we trade these two picks for " cash considerations" and effectively traded two budding stars for nothing.

But we got O.J Mayo!

16. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,837
    I believe it. The precision and athleticism displayed is amazing. However, it is packaged very poorly in a way very advantageous to the players at the expense of the fans and owners. Therefore it is not very entertaining.

The biggest issue - guaranteed contracts. You are stuck with a player no matter what. That really screws you up if you are trying to build your organization and you have to carry dead weight. Why players unions push for that is beyond me. Spread the money to anyone deserving it, seems like the way to go to me. You sign a big contract? Then go and continue to earn it.

The NFL has it right. The biggest man in shaping todays NFL may be Gene Upshaw the head of the NFLPA for many years. He worked WITH Rozelle in creating a system that paid the players well, but also was a catalyst in building the NFL to its size and level.

If the Baseball and NBA players were to put aside their greed and egos for a minute and just think about it, they would take a temporary pay cut to build their league. Think about it, the NFL players could have demanded guaranteed contracts and other considerations and had the owners by the balls. Instead, they found a system of partially guaranteed contracts. The league became very competitive and very popular. The pie got bigger and their slice in turn grew to gigantic portions. Had they been greedy the popularity of football would be far less, guaranteed contracts today would be 1/3 of what they are.

Regardless, I was a big fan in the days of Moncrief, Winters, Pressy, Lanier, Cummings, . . . I listened to every game, or watched when I could. I read every story in the paper. All that and I still knew they would probably lose to the Celtics or the 76ers come the playoffs. But there was always hope. Today, I couldn't bring myself at this point to watch a minute of any NBA game today. Has to be the least competitive of all the major sports. If you suck, you are probably going to suck for a long time. It shouldn't be that way, hell, you only have 5 guys on the floor at a time. That should be easier to assemble than 22 starters on an NFL team.

17. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +391
    If u look at where the Grizzlies were about 8 yrs ago to where they are now there might be some hope for the Bucks