The Key to d-back success

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well our safties don't get close enough to grab or hold so it's a moot point in Green Bay so.....besides Seattle plays man to man 90% of the time which is alos something we havn't done in Green Bay since the days of Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Our dbs just arn't physical enough.

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zone defense is man-to-man to whomever comes into the zone. Interference is interference regardless of what scheme you're playing. It's either legal or not. Appears to be legal for the seahawks more often than not.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
zone defense is man-to-man to whomever comes into the zone. Interference is interference regardless of what scheme you're playing. It's either legal or not. Appears to be legal for the seahawks more often than not.

fair enough..but i think it's safe to say sometimes our dbs don't get close enough in zone to grab either wouldn't you say so? In all fairness House should have been flagged several times in the playoff loss but the refs let him grab Crabtree two or three times before they finally flagged him for it.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well our safties don't get close enough to grab or hold so it's a moot point in Green Bay so.....besides Seattle plays man to man 90% of the time which is alos something we havn't done in Green Bay since the days of Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Our dbs just arn't physical enough.

Seattle plays cover-3 primarily. Not man-to-man. Not saying that Seattle can't also play man, but it certainly isn't 90% or even primarily. That's why teams can stay away from Sherman if they choose because he sticks to one side of the field.

H

HardRightEdge

The 49er's circa 2012 were similar.

The fact of the matter is if you're in position and facing the play most ref groups allow contact. And it seems the further into the season the more contact is allowed. Seattle exploits this.

I recall that after the losses to SF and SEA in weeks 1 and 3 of 2012, Bennett observed with apparent frustration that our receivers needed to get more physical and into their routes on time. I don't know if there's anything else to say about it short of new directives from the league.

In any case, those two games established a template for containing Rodgers...drop 7 and disrupt timing. Of course, this requires at least a decent pass rush...at 3+ seconds Rodgers will slice and dice regardless.

To give credit where credit is due, reports indicate Sherman, et. al. are tape hounds who burn the midnight oil. One would presume they're scouting refs and not just opponents. These guys are not thugs...there is fair amount of subtlety and skill in the process. Being on the receiver, in position and facing the play is a high prerequisite bar for getting benefits of the doubt.

One can complain a little about it...more than a little is just excuses and whining. Figure out a way to beat it, starting with the fact that some of those guys can be outrun.

Last edited by a moderator:

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The fact of the matter is if you're in position and facing the play most ref groups allow contact. And it seems the further into the season the more contact is allowed. Seattle exploits this.

I recall that after the losses to SF and SEA in weeks 1 and 3 of 2012, Bennett observed with apparent frustration that our receivers needed to get more physical and into their routes on time. I don't know if there's anything else to say about it short of new directives from the league.

In any case, those two games established a template for containing Rodgers...drop 7 and disrupt timing. Of course, this requires at least a decent pass rush...at 3+ seconds Rodgers will slice and dice regardless.

To give credit where credit is due, reports indicate Sherman, et. al. are tape hounds who burn the midnight oil. One would presume they're scouting refs and not just opponents. These guys are not thugs...there is fair amount of subtlety and skill in the process. Being on the receiver, in position and facing the play is a high prerequisite bar for getting benefits of the doubt.

One can complain a little about it...more than a little is just excuses and whining. Figure out a way to beat it, starting with the fact that some of those guys can be outrun.

yep... we were just talking about this over dinner a few nights ago....my daughter plays soccer and she's learned very quickly to play to the refs calls. If they're not calling anything, you sure as heck better adjust and flip the switch. That's often the difference between losing and winning at the competitive levels and it's the exact same in the NFL.

dchen46

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I honestly hated Sherman at first when he was really arrogant last season, but he more I watch him play, the more I respect his game. At least he backs up his talk, and he's great in interviews too

Members online

No members online now.