The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 29 42.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Disagree. I fully expect that the team, staff and management think they are definitely going to be in the hunt for the NFC North title.
Do you base that on optimism or off of all the ways that the Packers have improved an 8-9 team so far this offseason?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you base that on optimism or off of all the ways that the Packers have improved an 8-9 team so far this offseason?
I, for one, think that Love is an improvement. I have gone to more Packer games in the last 2 years than ever before. Rodgers is not the QB he once was. His effort seemed minimal. Never saw him go over plays with receivers on the sidelines. Talking to the OC or QB coach. He would kick back and relax by himself on the bench. Or stand by himself, sometimes with Cobb. Open receivers in the middle of the field for easy first downs were ignored. Years ago he easily makes those passes and moves the chains.

On one occasion a receiver broke free in the middle of the field. Everyone stood excited seeing a probable TD. Rodgers looked at him, waited, then turned and threw it out of bounds. I heard about 20 WTF!s. I didn't see it but was told by fans around me that MLF slammed his headset down and screamed at Rodgers as he came off the field. I did see AR trotting along with his arms out, like "What?" Almost sarcastic in the gesture. I was on the 45 yd line 20 rows from the Packer sideline- a good view.

Personally, I think Rodgers was punishing MLF, the receiver, or something for not getting his way on something. He is not a leader like he once was.

Reaction score
I, for one, think that Love is an improvement. I have gone to more Packer games in the last 2 years than ever before. Rodgers is not the QB he once was. His effort seemed minimal. Never saw him go over plays with receivers on the sidelines. Talking to the OC or QB coach. He would kick back and relax by himself on the bench. Or stand by himself, sometimes with Cobb. Open receivers in the middle of the field for easy first downs were ignored. Years ago he easily makes those passes and moves the chains.

On one occasion a receiver broke free in the middle of the field. Everyone stood excited seeing a probable TD. Rodgers looked at him, waited, then turned and threw it out of bounds. I heard about 20 WTF!s. I didn't see it but was told by fans around me that MLF slammed his headset down and screamed at Rodgers as he came off the field. I did see AR trotting along with his arms out, like "What?" Almost sarcastic in the gesture. I was on the 45 yd line 20 rows from the Packer sideline- a good view.

Personally, I think Rodgers was punishing MLF, the receiver, or something for not getting his way on something. He is not a leader like he once was.
I can see that. I do think that Rodgers playing C grade ball compared to his potential is better than about 16 starting QB’s any given week. If he’s played to potential he’s a top 3 QB, but you are correct, he seems to be more going through the motions?

I See Love as relatively inexperienced, but I think once he gets a season under his belt? I don’t think it’s a stretch to see him go something like Rodgers 2015 season by the 2024 season

We may ramp up the Running game slightly this year to allow him time to grow into this Offense. Also our
WR-TE Room is still pretty raw. Maybe by 2024? things could pop though, based on us surrounding him with a few upper echelon College weapons or protection. We’ve invested a fair amount at OL recently and I suspect that will begin to pay dividends.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. I fully expect that the team, staff and management think they are definitely going to be in the hunt for the NFC North title.
Whenever a Packer season comes about they always believe they are either favored or in the hunt. That is their goal. We can be realistic. They must be determined.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People forget tom clements is still in GB. Interesting that Love improved a ton, is same time Tom was there

I think Tom gets him better

That was/is huge for Love that Clements decided to stay worhout Rodgers. Now I have no idea about his personal life, maybe he just really needs the job. But to me its a great sign that a legend qb guru wants to countinue working with Love. Must ve something there

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be an unrealistic expectation entering next season.

I, for one, think that Love is an improvement.

Boy oh boy, you will be in a for a rude awakening.

I See Love as relatively inexperienced, but I think once he gets a season under his belt? I don’t think it’s a stretch to see him go something like Rodgers 2015 season by the 2024 season

It's weird that you chose Rodgers' worst season until last year when replying to someone considering Love an improvement.

That was/is huge for Love that Clements decided to stay worhout Rodgers. Now I have no idea about his personal life, maybe he just really needs the job. But to me its a great sign that a legend qb guru wants to countinue working with Love. Must ve something there

I wonder why anyone would consider Clements as a legendary QB guru. Aside of with the Packers he hasn't had a lot of success developing quarterbacks with every other team he worked with aside of the one with the Chiefs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That is some compelling stuff! So, you're on the record that Love will be on the 3-5 best QBs this year? Cause two years ago Rodgers was MVP and then last season he had a broken thumb and a broken receiving room. So, to say that Love will be better than an MVP, assuming he doesn't break his thumb and that the receiving room isn't composed of rookies and afterthoughts, is quite the take. I like it!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is some compelling stuff! So, you're on the record that Love will be on the 3-5 best QBs this year? Cause two years ago Rodgers was MVP and then last season he had a broken thumb and a broken receiving room. So, to say that Love will be better than an MVP, assuming he doesn't break his thumb and that the receiving room isn't composed of rookies and afterthoughts, is quite the take. I like it!
Do I get to make a bunch of excuses for Love if his QBR rating is below average as well? Rodgers was a far cry from an MVP performance last year. Rodgers finished behind the likes of Goff, Dalton, Tannehill, and Darnold, and only slightly ahead of Heineke and Brissett. And the Titans and Falcons have less talent at WR than the Packers.

Look, there is a decent chance that AR works hard to be a good teammate and is more effective as a QB for the Jets. But that wasn't going to happen if he returned to GB. 'Healed thumb' and 'better' WRs not withstanding.

I like the way the MLF offense operated in Rodgers first year under it. Lots of misdirection, lots of quick hits. Very refreshing after MMs predictable play calling. I hope we return to it under Love where the QB can just stick to the system and keep the ball moving.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So will they be drafting a jet motion guy or do you believe they already have him on the roster?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So will they be drafting a jet motion guy or do you believe they already have him on the roster?

On roster options:

-Watson: He did some last year but I think everyone including staff doesn't want him to be the designated jet motion guy.
-Bo Melton: Size and speed and college play would lead you to believe he could be a candidate for the role.
-Nixon: It was hinted at that if Nixon grasps his defensive and ST role, offense is possibly coming...you'd think jet motion role was what MLF had in mind.

Draft Options of Guys we've been linked to:

-Keaton Mitchell: Easily fits this bill as he is very shifty, too small for a traditional RB role IMO at the next level on a ton of snaps...this would open up a weapon.
-Lew Nichols III: Yardage machine that can make people miss...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest Bo Melton to me was the second coming of Ervin IMO and one reason I liked him if GB drafted him....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that most of their core players (Bakhtiari, Campbell, Clark, Alexander) will be better players again than they were last year. I also expect improvement from guys like Jenkins, Myers, watson, Doubs, Deguara, walker, Enagbare, Wyatt and stokes.
The one guy who I'm hoping still has his high skill level is Jones. My biggest returning concerns are Gary, Smith and Savage.
I don't want to see rookies getting too many snaps like last year's bunch did.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that most of their core players (Bakhtiari, Campbell, Clark, Alexander) will be better players again than they were last year. I also expect improvement from guys like Jenkins, Myers, watson, Doubs, Deguara, walker, Enagbare, Wyatt and stokes.
The one guy who I'm hoping still has his high skill level is Jones. My biggest returning concerns are Gary, Smith and Savage.

I fear you may be surprised truthfully, but it is dependent on what positions come our way per Gute.

I safety before end of Day 2 is very likely in their vast majority, a CB could play a ton till Stokes back, a WR early could be the second most snaps or third…a TE taken in first four rounds could lead the TE group potentially (although I think folks are gonna be surprised as Deguara will be back to center stage kinda like before injury and Rodgers didn’t like him)….an edge could see significant snaps if Gary out. A high level iDL could be the new Lowry or Reed which saw a ton of snaps.

I’d guess only a QB, RB, low tier WR, CB or ILB have chance or not playing a lot.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do I get to make a bunch of excuses for Love if his QBR rating is below average as well? Rodgers was a far cry from an MVP performance last year. Rodgers finished behind the likes of Goff, Dalton, Tannehill, and Darnold, and only slightly ahead of Heineke and Brissett. And the Titans and Falcons have less talent at WR than the Packers.
Yes, I thought you meant that Love will be better than Rodgers was last year. And so we are in the running for the division. That hand probably really bothered Rodgers and then he just did not deal with that adversity well. For me, he should have stepped down and let himself heal or better LaFleur should have set him down. Rodgers does seem to sulk and he will play better elsewhere and be happier next year. Most everyone here says it was his lack of receivers. I think it was more his hand and his head. And the O line was not that good.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except TE and our first pick (especially if the 1st is a TE)

Assuming we get a 2nd from NYJ, I would hope in our first 3 picks we some good snaps from all 3 of them.

Nice list of improving players. That's a bunch of talent that could take a step and really impact the team.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Look, there is a decent chance that AR works hard to be a good teammate and is more effective as a QB for the Jets. But that wasn't going to happen if he returned to GB. 'Healed thumb' and 'better' WRs not withstanding.

I like the way the MLF offense operated in Rodgers first year under it. Lots of misdirection, lots of quick hits. Very refreshing after MMs predictable play calling. I hope we return to it under Love where the QB can just stick to the system and keep the ball moving.

I’ll never understand the fans that claim injuries aren’t valid reasons for poor play. Who cares that some player broke a bone that’s super important to his play, he should just learn to not need that bone!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll never understand the fans that claim injuries aren’t valid reasons for poor play. Who cares that some player broke a bone that’s super important to his play, he should just learn to not need that bone!
The injury doesn't explain the non-throws to open receivers. There has been a steady decrease in his accuracy and arm strength the last few years, and that wasn't related to his thumb. How much better would he have played if his thumb was better? I'm not sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Love will be better for the "team" and the "system" even if his play isn't there yet to say the QB is better if that makes sense.

Actually it doesn't make any sense.

Do I get to make a bunch of excuses for Love if his QBR rating is below average as well? Rodgers was a far cry from an MVP performance last year. Rodgers finished behind the likes of Goff, Dalton, Tannehill, and Darnold, and only slightly ahead of Heineke and Brissett.

There's no doubt Rodgers didn't perform up to potential last season but it's ridiculous to ignore he had a broken thumb for most of the season though. If Love suffers a similar injury that would definitely be a legit excuse for him struggling as well.

The Packers finished 8-9 last season and will have lost Rodgers, Lazard, Tonyan, Lewis, Cobb, Amos, Reed and Lowry while only adding Moore in free agency. While some players might end up improving their play compared to last season it's completely unrealistic to expect the team will be improved in 2023.

Yes, I thought you meant that Love will be better than Rodgers was last year. And so we are in the running for the division. That hand probably really bothered Rodgers and then he just did not deal with that adversity well. For me, he should have stepped down and let himself heal or better LaFleur should have set him down. Rodgers does seem to sulk and he will play better elsewhere and be happier next year. Most everyone here says it was his lack of receivers. I think it was more his hand and his head. And the O line was not that good.

Actually the Packers coaching staff playing Rodgers with a broken thumb over Love all season long could tell us more about Love than any talk in the media over the past few months.

Oh ok.
So you think I should have chosen Rodgers best season?

It would have been smart to take a look at Rodgers' performance over the course of his career and not cherry pick the one in which he played with a broken thumb for most of it.

The injury doesn't explain the non-throws to open receivers. There has been a steady decrease in his accuracy and arm strength the last few years, and that wasn't related to his thumb. How much better would he have played if his thumb was better? I'm not sure.

Every quarterback in the league misses open receivers from time to time. I truly wonder how Rodgers was able to win consecutive MVP awards in 2020 and '21 if his accuracy and arm strength has been in a steady decline for the last few years :rolleyes:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually it doesn't make any sense.

There's no doubt Rodgers didn't perform up to potential last season but it's ridiculous to ignore he had a broken thumb for most of the season though. If Love suffers a similar injury that would definitely be a legit excuse for him struggling as well.

The Packers finished 8-9 last season and will have lost Rodgers, Lazard, Tonyan, Lewis, Cobb, Amos, Reed and Lowry while only adding Moore in free agency. While some players might end up improving their play compared to last season it's completely unrealistic to expect the team will be improved in 2023.

Actually the Packers coaching staff playing Rodgers with a broken thumb over Love all season long could tell us more about Love than any talk in the media over the past few months.

It would have been smart to take a look at Rodgers' performance over the course of his career and not cherry pick the one in which he played with a broken thumb for most of it.

Every quarterback in the league misses open receivers from time to time. I truly wonder how Rodgers was able to win consecutive MVP awards in 2020 and '21 if his accuracy and arm strength has been in a steady decline for the last few years :rolleyes:
Be good to compare how the Packers fared the year Favre played with a broken thumb as Rodgers did last season.

Members online