The joke that was the london game

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When i 1st heard about this i thought this was gona be a great idea us english showing u guys how to put on your game but it was a total joke

1) the weather and the pitch
As usall IT RAINED! in england this would normaly be ok but the grass on the pitch was cut So short that it was just chewed up and made the game boring and drag

2) entertainment
Who in the hell were they im from england i anit never heard of them

overall i found it to be a joke and i wanted to go but after watching it id would have rather saved up and paid to go see 2 good teams in america

Any views

A very pissed of
Mort

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Weather was a big part of it, but add to it the travel of the teams probably slowed them a bit.

But the underlying issue was the teams themselves, the Fins are pathetic this year and the Giants in the rain didn't have to do much but run the ball, control the clock and grind it out.

I agree it was a joke.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome to American football, mort. Some games are wonderful and others are a drag. If you're not a fan of one of the teams playing, the games that are a drag are REALLY a drag. But 80,000 people showed up, so the sport must have a following over there. They will try it again, I expect, and if they do better with the weather and the field the result will be much more entertaining.

I hate to see games being exported, because football is such an all-American sport, but it's all about money, and well, America is kind of about money too.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that the "fans" were booing at the end of the game..........must have felt just like a home game for Miami! :wink: :lol:

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When i 1st heard about this i thought this was gona be a great idea us english showing u guys how to put on your game but it was a total joke

As usall IT RAINED! in england this would normaly be ok but the grass on the pitch was cut So short that it was just chewed up and made the game boring and drag

2) entertainment

overall i found it to be a joke and i wanted to go but after watching it id would have rather saved up and paid to go see 2 good teams in america

Any views

A very pissed of
Mort

Boring though it may have been - more point were scored than an entire season of UK "Football" :lol:

I'd have to say that when they scheduled the game Miami had a few players on their roster that indicated a potentially competitive team this season. Alas that is not the case. Sorry you didn't enjoy the game.

OP
OP
M

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fans where booing at the end of the game cos they were taking knels and id be quite pissed if i paid £80 for a ticket to see manning knel

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fans where booing at the end of the game cos they were taking knels and id be quite pissed if i paid £80 for a ticket to see manning knel
Unfortunatly, thats football. If you have the game won, you run out the clock.
Many years ago (i can't remember what team it was) could have taken a knee and ran out the clock for a win, but they decided to hand off the ball, and the hand off was bobbled and the other team grabbed the ball and took it in for a win. So i can see why they would just run the clock out.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
England doesn't respect the game I don't think. Rugby is a much more involved version of this game anyhow if you think about it. Also, you have this being the one game that comes over there and I think that is why you have high attendance. If you grind out full seasons of this, then the fanfare will eventually die down if there ever really was any significant amount to start with. I think crossing over seas to Europe is a bad idea. Not only is the game itself not respected, but I think the NFL also portrays that sense of American over-indulgence.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mortfini said:
Many years ago (i can't remember what team it was) could have taken a knee and ran out the clock for a win, but they decided to hand off the ball, and the hand off was bobbled and the other team grabbed the ball and took it in for a win. So i can see why they would just run the clock out.

I remember which team it was: the Giants! Joe Pisarcik tried handing it off to Larry Csonka, the exchange was fumbled, and Herman Edwards of the Eagles scooped up the ball and ran it in for a TD. A painful footnote is that if that play hadn't happened, the Packers would've made the playoffs that year.

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2) entertainment

Any views

A very pissed of
Mort

Sorry for your luck Mort. But, I must agree if the NFL is going to try to market in foreign markets they should at least get two upper echelon teams. They could have scheduled the Cowboys vs the Patriots, or the Packers vs the Cowboys, or the Vikings vs the Falcons. Ha Ha, just kidding on that last one. :lol:

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember thinking at one point during the game "Did Miami really travel all the way to London just to score 3 points." Haha! I'm glad they ended up putting up a few more.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
England doesn't respect the game I don't think. Rugby is a much more involved version of this game anyhow if you think about it. Also, you have this being the one game that comes over there and I think that is why you have high attendance. If you grind out full seasons of this, then the fanfare will eventually die down if there ever really was any significant amount to start with. I think crossing over seas to Europe is a bad idea. Not only is the game itself not respected, but I think the NFL also portrays that sense of American over-indulgence.
After having time to think about it.............i have decided i don't like the NFL playing over there. Sooner or later WE would lose a home game because of it. That takes millions of dollars away from Green Bay. The city LIVES for the home games.
Plus, NFL Europe didn't make it, what makes them think wasting time sending NFL teams over there will help?

vike4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DarkaneRules said:
After having time to think about it.............i have decided i don't like the NFL playing over there. Sooner or later WE would lose a home game because of it. That takes millions of dollars away from Green Bay. The city LIVES for the home games.
Plus, NFL Europe didn't make it, what makes them think wasting time sending NFL teams over there will help?
True, the only ones that truly get hurt are the fans. I am sure the NFL and the teams get rewarded handsomely for playing a game in England. Why else would they do it? What about all the local bars, eaterys, and motels. Who is going to make up for their loss?

It is the NFL, the National Football League. It is not the IFL, the International Football League. Play a couple of pre-season games over there. Who cares? But, when fans start losing home games to a foreign market, that is a bunch of crap. My guess is that was why they chose Miami. There fans don't give a crap anyway.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fans were booing because many do not really understand the role of the kneel-down. If you pack 90,000 Americans into a soccer game you will end up with some similar issues.

The atmosphere seemed very festive and I think people are being too negative. It's football, sometimes you have these sorts of games. It looked like a fun event to me.

Now the bigger issue is whether this international move is a good thing. The NFL is clearly evaluating a future in which all teams are playing international games regularly. I am undecided about this. I of course see the huge negative---you only get 8 home games a year as it is.

Pack93z

Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Now the bigger issue is whether this international move is a good thing. The NFL is clearly evaluating a future in which all teams are playing international games regularly. I am undecided about this. I of course see the huge negative---you only get 8 home games a year as it is.

The issue that will put a damper on it, is the loss of revenue by the team that gives up the home game, the ticket sales etc. Not to mention the travel, the security risks that are added.

It is a cool idea, but I think the almighty dollar with prevail in the end. That is unless the NFL compensates the loss of the home game.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
DarkaneRules said:
True, the only ones that truly get hurt are the fans. I am sure the NFL and the teams get rewarded handsomely for playing a game in England. Why else would they do it? What about all the local bars, eaterys, and motels. Who is going to make up for their loss?

It is the NFL, the National Football League. It is not the IFL, the International Football League. Play a couple of pre-season games over there. Who cares? But, when fans start losing home games to a foreign market, that is a bunch of crap. My guess is that was why they chose Miami. There fans don't give a crap anyway.
Your right Vike.......the loyal fans are the ones that suffer. Like you said, the NFL probably makes a boatload of money. It's just not right though. Teams want the "loyal fans" to fill the seats every game, then want to take away some home games from them? It's just not right in my view.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Mortfini said:

I remember which team it was: the Giants! Joe Pisarcik tried handing it off to Larry Csonka, the exchange was fumbled, and Herman Edwards of the Eagles scooped up the ball and ran it in for a TD. A painful footnote is that if that play hadn't happened, the Packers would've made the playoffs that year.
Thank you Greg!
I knew it had happened, but couldn't remember who it was. Thanks for the info!!!

OP
OP
M

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the fans were booing because many do not really understand the role of the kneel-down. If you pack 90,000 Americans into a soccer game you will end up with some similar issues.

I Hate this dumb stereotypical Views on NFL ill give it not all english know the rules But i would say i know them All and could teach any1 the rules in 10mins tops

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not understand your response. Are you saying my comment was dumb and stereotypical? Or that Brits have dumb and stereotypical views?

I am explaining why people were booing. What is your explanation?

Whether you know all the rules and strategy is irrelevant and there really is no way to make someone an educated fan in ten minutes. I never said no Brits understand football, I said lack of understanding explains the very loud booing at the end of the game.

I don't mean to argue with you but I am proceeding on the assumption that you were describing my post.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I went and enjoyed every minute of it.

OK it ended 13-10 ........so what.

That's football.

You get high scoring games you get low scoring games.....

The weather was atrocious but wasn't it like that for the Superbowl????

Miami should be happy because at 0 and 7 before the game they would have been lucky to have got half of the 81,000 that turned up if the game had been played at miami. If Miami had had Green at QB, Zach Thomas and a few of the other injured players I am convinced they would have won. It was a proper game played in football of old conditions. The weather didn't spoil it for me one iota.

Miami fans I met after the game were full of praise for the organisation and the stadium.

Bring the Packers over

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pack93z

Reaction score

That's football.

Miami should be happy because at 0 and 7 before the game they would have been lucky to have got half of the 81,000 that turned up if the game had been played at miami. If Miami had had Green at QB, Zach Thomas and a few of the other injured players I am convinced they would have won. It was a proper game played in football of old conditions. The weather didn't spoil it for me one iota.

Miami fans I met after the game were full of praise for the organisation and the stadium.

Bring the Packers over

Great feedback and I am glad you enjoyed it... I am sure sooner or later if the experiment continues.. they will be abroad..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flep said:

That's football.

Bring the Packers over

Great feedback and I am glad you enjoyed it... I am sure sooner or later if the experiment continues.. they will be abroad..
Oh geez.......now that you said "abroad", the Vikings will want to go! :lol:

Pack93z

Reaction score
Oh geez.......now that you said "abroad", the Vikings will want to go! :lol:

According to some witnesses.. that would have to be "awhales".. for the players to get excited.. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts