The importance of this game.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers' season doesn't rest on the outcome of this week's game vs. Dallas. It's not as big as last season's down there when both were 10=1 and he winner took the inside track to home field for the playoffs. Green Bay lost but still matched the Cowboys' 13-3 and went deeper in the postseason and ended up with home field for the NFC Championship anyway.
But this is a conference game, which could put the result in more significance at the end if tiebreaker scenarios have impact.
With a win to push to 3-0 and the Pack can potentially put some more early distance between themselves and the rest of the North Division.
However this is one of several "statement" games for the Packers in this first half of the season where the Packers can reestablish themselves as among the elite NFC Super Bowl contenders. Since Brett Favre's retirement and his attempted comeback fiasco, Green Bay has dropped off of many people's list for doing anywhere near as well as last season. Dallas, meanwhile, has become the popular favorite to be the NFC team in the SB this year.
If the Packers belong on the NFC "short list" for the Super Bowl in '08 they should be able to beat the Cowboys or the Colts, if not both, at Lambeau Field and win at Seattle and/or Tennessee on the road during this upcoming 5 week stretch.
The quality of the Packers' opponents in the first two games has been questioned as to the reality of their 2-0 start. Although they did win on the road and "out of their element" on the artificial turf and indoor setting at Detroit and Minnesota brought a strong defense and dangerous, healthy running game to Lambeau. So those victories cannot be casually dismissed.
The level of opponents during the next month cannot be denied. If the Packers can succeed against them they'll have to be rejoined in conversation with the Giants and Cowboys as "the teams most likely to" in the NFC.

Doomsday

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping Dallas wins this game simply for the fact that I do believe the Packers will go far this year and I DO NOT want to see the Cowboys have to make a trip to Green Bay in the winter.

packedhouse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe this is a must win game for the Pack, but I do believe it is a "we must play well game". I do believe that if our defense plays well we'll win the game. I also think that it's time for Barnett to play in control. Sometimes he moves so fast that he's out of position on plays. I'm waiting for Hawk to become the impact player that you would expect from a #5 pick. And I'm looking for Aaron Rouse to make an impact tonight. Go Pack

sandtrapjack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerlifer said:
Although they did win on the road and "out of their element" on the artificial turf and indoor setting at Detroit and Minnesota brought a strong defense and dangerous, healthy running game to Lambeau. So those victories cannot be casually dismissed.
The level of opponents during the next month cannot be denied. If the Packers can succeed against them they'll have to be rejoined in conversation with the Giants and Cowboys as "the teams most likely to" in the NFC.
I was with you up until this point.

Okay I will give you Minnesota, because they have a respectable run defense. But Detroit!!? PAAALEASE!

The Lions are an absolute TRAIN WRECK, most especially on defense, they can't stop the pass or the run. The only good thing that the Lions can say is " Whew, well at least we are not the RAMS." Other than that, they are, a complete disaster.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers don't make the schedule they just play it. There's plenty of times when bad teams upset good ones. And good teams are frequently known for playing down to the bad ones.
The Packers got done what they minimally had to do, strategically, in the first month of the season: win the games in their division.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Tampa game is important! It will say alot about the team how we bounce back from a disappointing loss last Sunday night. If they tank then we have a problem. :eek:

Members online

Latest posts