The importance of Charles Woodson

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of you were already bidding farewell to the guy after the season but i hope now you see how important he is to the defense. Not only to the pass defense but also stopping the run as well. He may not make every tackle but not a person who has ever watched Charles Woodson play football can say he's afraid to tackle or shys away from contact the way i saw guys doing yesterday. If woodson undercuts that Ponder pass in the endzone to Jenkins he catches the ball for a big play int and not let it go right through his arms for a touchdown i guarantee it. Some guys are big moment play makers and make plays in the most crucial times and some miss the oppertunity to become heros.

I love Casy Heyward, the guy is going to make a handful of pro bowls but to blow the coverage on a 3rd and 11? and then the missed tackle on a screen play to Toby Gerhart to allow the Vikings to convert another long 3 down is something Woodson wouldn't have done. Both of those drives the Vikings got points BTW. Then theres Tramon Williams smh..i don't even know where to start with this guy. Getting beat by average wr's, not tackling, costly penalties? not a #1 corner imo. He's been outplayed by Shields and Heyward this year. I would actually have more faith in Shields on the other other teams best wr to be honest. As for Mcmillan and Jennings they are not ready to be starters in this league. Jennings had an oppertunity to make a huge play in the endzone but it slipped right through his hands for a touchdown...literally. I for one can't wait to see the #21 jersey roaming the field.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree for the most part. Shields got burned on that long pass because he peeked in the backfield at Ponder. That has been one of the knocks on him in the past.

Maybe Woodson would bring some toughness to the secondary that seeemed all too passive yesterday....except of course stupid crap by Williams.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree for the most part. Shields got burned on that long pass because he peeked in the backfield at Ponder. That has been one of the knocks on him in the past.

Maybe Woodson would bring some toughness to the secondary that seeemed all too passive yesterday....except of course stupid crap by Williams.

Toughness is what we lack as a defense period.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people are overreacting about yesterday's game and overstating the importance of Woodson. One of my favorites but he is overpaid at this point. I would like to see him have a strong playoffs run but he has some cracks in his game as he has aged.

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson may not be the cover corner he once was but on yesterday we needed tackling and I guarantee if CW would have played in these 2 games against AP, he would have not been afraid to make some tackles. CW at this point in his career is pretty much an extra LB on the field.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't drop Woodson into third level anymore. He's a second level player who pushes the issue at the point of attack. People need to stop thinking about Woodson in coverage anymore, it ain't gonna happen. He moves to the LOS and he moves to the ball. And he makes his f*cking tackles. Who cares if he's overpaid at this point? Will that change for the rest of the season? (apologies, ivo.) He's got cracks so we don't put him in a position to have those cracks exposed. Keep him close to the LOS. Get him in the game, get him around the ball, and watch the rest of the defense play up to his level of intensity.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't drop Woodson into third level anymore. He's a second level player who pushes the issue at the point of attack. People need to stop thinking about Woodson in coverage anymore, it ain't gonna happen. He moves to the LOS and he moves to the ball. And he makes his f*cking tackles. Who cares if he's overpaid at this point? Will that change for the rest of the season? (apologies, ivo.) He's got cracks so we don't put him in a position to have those cracks exposed. Keep him close to the LOS. Get him in the game, get him around the ball, and watch the rest of the defense play up to his level of intensity.

The salary comment doesn't have anything to do with this season. Some people seem to this he is a long term savior for the secondary, he isn't that player anymore. Your right, his job is at the LOS now with his ability to freelance

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Casey Heyward, the guy is going to make a handful of pro bowls but to blow the coverage on a 3rd and 11? and then the missed tackle on a screen play to Toby Gerhart to allow the Vikings to convert another long 3 down is something Woodson wouldn't have done. Both of those drives the Vikings got points BTW.
Those WERE two gigantic and terrible plays, Awful. No excuse for being a rookie either at this point....one was SOFT and the other CLUELESS.
Toughness is what we lack as a defense period.
That is a fact. That's why I called these guys soft in that one WE CAN"T WIN THE SUPER BOWL thread. It's the only reason we lose really.
Agree for the most part. Shields got burned on that long pass because he peeked in the backfield at Ponder.
Hard to blame the guy for peeking for Peterson to be coming thru... and his coverage was not horrible. It wasn't bad. The pass was perfect, which you normally don't get from Ponder, but if you give almost any QB a clear pocket, he can make that throw perfectly. Blame the pass rush. Where was Worthy all day? Neal? Only Matthews sniffed Ponder.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to blame the guy for peeking for Peterson to be coming thru... and his coverage was not horrible. It wasn't bad. The pass was perfect, which you normally don't get from Ponder, but if you give almost any QB a clear pocket, he can make that throw perfectly. Blame the pass rush. Where was Worthy all day? Neal? Only Matthews sniffed Ponder.

Just said he peeked and as a result got beat. So he does deswerve some criticism. Agree we needed more rush. I'm not expecting pass rush from the DL. Their job is to apply pressure(heavy) so the LB's can get to the QB. We didn't get any from Moses or Walden at LB and haven't been.

Members online

Latest posts