The Head Coaching Tree of Mike McCarthy Hasn’t Been Successful

Is there an assistant on the Packers staff who should get a shot as an NFL Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because Rodgers has made them all look good. Look how successful McCarthy has been without Rodgers. If he went to another team. He would follow their faith too

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question. Other than Gruden, who has won anything from Holmgrens tree? And even though all named coached under the two coaches you named, how many started coaching under those coaches. Most started under other coaches, so wouldn’t they also be from other coaching trees?

I think you are working this site hard for clicks on your site. JMHO.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question. Other than Gruden, who has won anything from Holmgrens tree? And even though all named coached under the two coaches you named, how many started coaching under those coaches. Most started under other coaches, so wouldn’t they also be from other coaching trees?

I think you are working this site hard for clicks on your site. JMHO.
Actually just sharing the pieces I write and like the conversations from them and other posts, not looking for clicks, if I was, I would be making them slide shows.

Regarding the tree question, you could say that for Bill Walsh as well, but nobody else does it that way.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's because Rodgers has made them all look good. Look how successful McCarthy has been without Rodgers. If he went to another team. He would follow their faith too

This criticism of MM comes up all the time. Out of curiosity, do you apply the same reasoning to other coaches or just MM?

Belichick did nothing before Brady, Walsh had 2-14 and 6-10 seasons before Montana became the guy, and Vince had Starr his whole Packer career.

Are those coaches not good either or does that criticism only apply to McCarthy?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you forget to include the number of NFL championships those other three coach/QB combos produced?

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you forget to include the number of NFL championships those other three coach/QB combos produced?

The argument presented was MM hasn't good without Rodgers. It said nothing about championships.

How about other one Super Bowl winning coaches?

Are Sean Payton, Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin all not good either because they've only won with a good QB?

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This criticism of MM comes up all the time. Out of curiosity, do you apply the same reasoning to other coaches or just MM?

Belichick did nothing before Brady, Walsh had 2-14 and 6-10 seasons before Montana became the guy, and Vince had Starr his whole Packer career.

Are those coaches not good either or does that criticism only apply to McCarthy?
Belechick took a rag tag team and got them to the playoffs in four years, and were the favorites in the AFC in 1995 until Modell dropped the bomb on them with the news of moving the team to Baltimore and ruining their season. Walsh also built a team with much more talent than just Montana. I'm not a fire McCarthy guy, but to say those other coaches did nothing before they got their Hall of Fame quarterbacks is just wrong.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Belichick has proven when Brady has gone out that he can make a team be successful. When Rodgers has missed their record is not very good

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick has proven when Brady has gone out that he can make a team be successful. When Rodgers has missed their record is not very good
Not really, they regularly played teams of Tampas caliber or less on a regular basis. It helps

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He was also fired and had was 6-12 in NE prior to Brady.

Why isn't that continually the time was head a coach prior to Brady is just ignored?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The argument presented was MM hasn't good without Rodgers. It said nothing about championships.

Are Sean Payton, Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin all not good either because they've only won with a good QB?

Sorry, I took
to mean that the coaches wouldn't have been successful without the QBs, just as MM hasn't been nearly as successful with his HOF QB as those coaches were.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belechick took a rag tag team and got them to the playoffs in four years, and were the favorites in the AFC in 1995 until Modell dropped the bomb on them with the news of moving the team to Baltimore and ruining their season. Walsh also built a team with much more talent than just Montana. I'm not a fire McCarthy guy, but to say those other coaches did nothing before they got their Hall of Fame quarterbacks is just wrong.

One playoff season in five years isnt good.

And the move announcement was made after the Browns were already 4-5 and likely not headed anywhere.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I took
to mean that the coaches wouldn't have been successful without the QBs, just as MM hasn't been nearly as successful with his HOF QB as those coaches were.

I was just wondering that saying if someone is saying MM is only good because of Rodgers if the same reasoning is applied to other coaches.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not really, they regularly played teams of Tampas caliber or less on a regular basis. It helps
Belichick went an entire season without Brady and went 11-5. It's not easy to win 11 games in the NFL. They didn't play a full 16 game schedule full of a bunch of cupcakes.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Lombardi's assistants didn't go onto much success either. Probably the most recent coach with the best record in the regard is Bill Parcels -

Sean Payton
Bill Belichick
Tom Coughlin
Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino who both suck at the NFL level but are outstanding at the college level.
There are other Parcels assistants with varying degrees of success -

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Again, Tomlin is 9-6 without Big Ben. Dungy won in Tampa (54-42 record in 6 seasons, only one season below .500) with a QB combination of Trent Dilfer, Shaun King, and Brad Johnson. Dilfer threw 65 TDs to 56 interceptions in 4 years as Dungy's QB. 55% completions. 76 passer rating. Hardly a world beater.

What was Shaun King in your eyes?

Brad Johnson was probably the best out of the trio.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has got to be the ONLY coach in NFL history to have one first ballot HOF QB replace the other first ballot HOF QB and only manage to appear in only 1 SB with almost 14 straight yrs of HOF QB play. That cannot be ignored.

Nor can the fact that he’s never been great at in game adjustments because he literally will script the first 20 or so plays he’s going to run no matter what the defense is doing. I need to make a video of how many times Aaron Rodgers has taken a bad play call and turned it into a big play by running around and adlibing. Watch a Patriots game after you watch a Packers game. I hate the Patriots with a passion...but you can literally see the plays they have designed to get WRs open and timing routes they have designed so that TB can stand back there in the pocket and pick his spots. Not this running around throwing guys open and waiting for WRs to uncover stuff McCarthy runs..and the Patriots don’t have near the caliber WRs Green Bay does. That’s why I will always stick by what I say when I say TB is the greatest system QB ever. If Rodgers played in that offense he’d throw 40 touchdowns a yr easily. If TB played in Green Bay he’d throw no more than 20 tds a season.

Last edited:

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Belichick went an entire season without Brady and went 11-5. It's not easy to win 11 games in the NFL. They didn't play a full 16 game schedule full of a bunch of cupcakes.

And again wasn't good as a coach before Brady.

Was 6-12 in NE before Brady, but let's not include that for some reason

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy has got to be the ONLY coach in NFL history to have one first ballot HOF QB replace the other first ballot HOF QB and only manage to appear in only 1 SB with almost 14 straight yrs of HOF QB play. That cannot be ignored.

Nor can the fact that he’s never been great at in game adjustments because he literally will script the first 20 or so plays he’s going to run no matter what the defense is doing. I need to make a video of how many times Aaron Rodgers has taken a bad play call and turned it into a big play by running around and adlibing. Watch a Patriots game after you watch a Packers game. I hate the Patriots with a passion...but you can literally see the plays they have designed to get WRs open and timing routes they have designed so that TB can stand back there in the pocket and pick his spots. Not this running around throwing guys open and waiting for WRs to uncover stuff McCarthy runs..and the Patriots don’t have near the caliber WRs Green Bay does. That’s why I will always stick by what I say when I say TB is the greatest system QB ever. If Rodgers played in that offense he’d throw 40 touchdowns a yr easily. If TB played in Green Bay he’d throw no more than 20 tds a season.

He literally just made a great in game adjustment last week to get the offense scoring it's last two possessions to win the game.

Also, what source do you have that says the first 20 plays are scripted no matter what? If Rodgers is given the freedom to audible from them also, it's also clearly not a strict script.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And again wasn't good as a coach before Brady.

Was 6-12 in NE before Brady, but let's not include that for some reason
I'm not ignoring that. I'm not delusional enough to believe that there aren't instances where teams who don't have quarterbacks struggle. Of course there are situations where teams without elite QBs struggle. My bringing up the Patriots without Brady is to illustrate a SPECIFIC point, which is that, there are instances where a hall of fame quarterback goes down with an injury and their respective team remains competitive and wins football games in the same season. You know, trying to make an apples to apples comparison with the current Packers situation? I thought it made a little sense.

You can say what you want about Belichick, but he won a Super Bowl in Brady's first year with Brady throwing for just 145 yards. That defense, spearheaded by Bill Belichick, held the greatest show on turf in check. That had nothing to do with Tom Brady.

Speaking of ignoring things, I don't think you've responded to all of my posts which were in direct response to you.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of coaches that script the first 15 or so plays. Hardly unique to MM. Holmgren did it too

And if I'm not mistaken despite playing half our games with the not so hot back up quarterback for the Packers still lead the league in first possession points. he probably has a fairly good game plan going in most times.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He literally just made a great in game adjustment last week to get the offense scoring it's last two possessions to win the game.

Also, what source do you have that says the first 20 plays are scripted no matter what? If Rodgers is given the freedom to audible from them also, it's also clearly not a strict script.

Lol why do you think he audibles? To get out of the original play call Haha. If you know anything about MM he will literally have a script of plays he will run to start the game off, I’m not making that up bro. He’s always done that.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol why do you think he audibles? To get out of the original play call Haha. If you know anything about MM he will literally have a script of plays he will run to start the game off, I’m not making that up bro. He’s always done that.

Considering the offense has been very good early in games this year, why has the scripting been a bad thing?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts