The Hall of Fame Game.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will be making their fifth appearance and first since 2003 in the 54th annual Pro Football Hall of Fame game in Canton this weekend. If history is any guide, don't expect too much or be overly concerned about how the team shows on the field as any sort of bellwether for the season to come.

The Packers have won only one of their previous four appearances and in the 3 they failed to win have scored a grand total of 3 points and been shut out twice. They've also had weather intervene to shorten two of their games in this tradition.

But in two of the years of losses Green Bay has gone on to a playoff year in the regular season.

There is a certain honor to being selected to play in the Hall of Fame game, though, despite adding an additional game that doesn't count in the standings in preseason.
http://www.profootballhoffestival.com/history

And the game has evolved over time into being the on-field kickoff to the new season to come.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Football_Hall_of_Fame_Game

A small curiosity about the history of this game is that despite being the dominant team in pro football at the time the HOF game began, the Packers were never featured in it until the 8th one in 1969; the season after their world championship dynasty came to an end. And that game was played at the end not the beginning of preseason.

http://www.packershistory.net/1969PACKERS/PRESEASON-GAME6.html

The Packers' second appearance in 1980 ended in a scoreless tie with the Chargers as the game was called with 6 minutes remaining because a lightning storm moved into the area.
http://www.packershistory.net/1980PACKERS/PRESEASON-GAME1.html

The Pack's third HOF game was nothing to remember as they lost to the Raiders 19-3. The game debuted the club's newly signed free agent superstar Reggie White; but he only played one series and didn't register a tackle.
http://www.packershistory.net/1993PACKERS.html

Not to worry, though. That game started a run of 6 straight playoff years and a Super Bowl Championship in the time that followed.

Lightning struck again, literally, in the Packers' fourth and last HOF game in 2003.
http://www.packershistory.net/2003PACKERS.html

Some suspicion began to attach to James Lofton, the all-pro and PFHOF receiver for the Packers. He was a player in the 1980 lightning game and was inducted into the PFHOF the weekend of the 2003 lightning game.

That game was also marred by the career ending head and neck injury sustained in it by Kansas City offensive tackle Willie Jones.

Despite the shut-out loss the Packers went on to continue a four year playoff streak that season.

It doesn't appear that Mother Nature has anything bad planned for this year's game Sunday night. https://www.google.com/search?q=weather+for+Canton+Ohio&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 .
But if anybody spots James Lofton around the area, call the Weather Channel.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're blaming a Tim McGraw concert that happened there Friday night............

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me too, see how all the young guys look, finally get some football action. I just can't believe at this level, they're this unprepared. It's one thing to have a field that has been getting heavy play and is getting torn up. It's another for this.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shameful and disgraceful for the NFL. Multi million dollar enterprise and they can't even prep a field.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Dang I feel so sorry for the how many Packers fans who made the trip. At least the Indianopolis fans don't have such a long drive/flight back. I wonder who will be first to sue? And who do you sue? The NFL, the groundskeepers? The city of Canton?

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a full game to substitute in your planned time.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Blocked by the NFL and youtube ... You get caught posting links and content like that you'll get this forum shut down. That's a no no . You can not post copyright content on a 3rd party site.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Blocked by the NFL and youtube ... You get caught posting links and content like that you'll get this forum shut down. That's a no no . You can not post copyright content on a 3rd party site.
This forum is FULL of youtube links. It's the bootleg live streaming sites that are the big no-no.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colts could be a day trip .... I bet some Packers drop some bucks on going to this..

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're blaming a Tim McGraw concert that happened there Friday night............

Hmm, well melted paint and all, I'm just not so sure you can do that. You'd have to blame the folks who own the stadium and get tasked with preparing it.

I'm curious to know what Roger Goodell is going to say about this. Perhaps if he hadn't once again wasted the time and money of the league going after an already lost battle with Brady in court, he might've been able to see to it that this game was made ready. Course then again I think Goodell is an imcompetent boob so I am always gonna take the side against him.

Now, in making some lemonade out of the lemons, in a sense I'm kinda glad we only have to play our usual 4 preseason games, 1 more and you might risk unnecessary injury. But ... this fiasco is an embarrassment for the league and all the incompetents running it.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
NFL and Rodger Goodell this is NOT FRIENDSHIP.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seemed like most the veteran players were laughing it off on ESPN. Especially Rodgers and Favre at one point. The younger players seemed bummed out, and deservedly so since they are playing for a roster spot and count on these preseason games. The rookie Blake Martinez #50 looked so bummed at one point you could tell he wanted to play some football!

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree with the sentiment that it's extremely embarrassing the league had to cancel the game because of a failed paint job. Especially as it seems they could have made it work if game officials checked the playing field after the tarp was removed early Sunday morning.

From the Packers point of view I don't mind the team not having to play an extra preseason game because of obvious concerns about injuries. The youngsters will still get sufficient playing time the rest of the preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that it's extremely embarrassing the league had to cancel the game because of a failed paint job. Especially as it seems they could have made it work if game officials checked the playing field after the terp was removed early Sunday morning.

From the Packers point of view I don't mind the team not having to play an extra preseason game because of obvious concerns about injuries. The youngsters will still get sufficient playing time the rest of the preseason.

Yea it sucks giving me the Blue Balls. Gotta wait another week to see some Football action :(

Latest posts