The Future Is Up in the Air for Green Bay Packers Running Back Ty Montgomery

What will the Packers do with Montgomery for next season?

• Cut ties, too many injuries

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Move him back to WR

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • Keep him as a RB, three headed monster

Votes: 18 47.4%

• Total voters

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has plenty of talent and intelligence to be good at whatever he does. But he can't stay healthy and he can't keep a position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think he has a lot to offer this offense and is a viable alternative to keep if they choose to part ways with Cobb.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep him at RB and use him as a Sprolles guy. Don't over think it guys
That's a possibility .... but roster spots come at a premium... at RB I'd rather see Williams and Jones... I don't think you can justify paying Monty to be the number 3. At WR... he is not number 1 ( which we are going to need to address btw) but we have a lot of guys looking for playing time in that area for the number 3, 4, spots. What happens with Cobb may shed some light here. Adams needs to get signed... and I think we need to start looking for another top guy to replace Jordy sooner than later. But we also have Geronimo and Clark... and Mcaffrey sitting on the practice squad. I'm expecting Janis to be gone... and Davis well... whatever. The point is with Monty's injury history he may end up being odd man out.

Reaction score
He's a versatile player who has been our Swiss Army Knife or Leatherman that's handy but you can't find him when you need him when you really need that canopener... he just isn't on the field enough.
I'd offer him a modest salary due to illness etc or go out and find a reliable Locking Buck Knife or Switchblade Knife instead that can do some damage without breaking.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted keep Montgomery as an RB, mainly as an insurance policy with how our RB's always seem to get injured and miss some time.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm confident that Jones and Williams will do even better in Year 2. But Monty can't stay on the field, players who can' stay on the field regardless of talent can only be worth so much. I would start taking trade offers after this season or just cut him.

We can sign a veteran like Rashad Jennings or Jamaal Charles as a veteran presence to even out the depth chart.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I voted keep Montgomery as an RB, mainly as an insurance policy with how our RB's always seem to get injured and miss some time.
And my vote (the same) doesn't really matter as the team is not run by popular vote. Not even by a majority owner vote.
Besides it is not asking for what we want but rather what we think the team will do.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, mod, freeze it after the original post. If we're not supposed to discuss the options, and the article just asked an unanswerable question, just keep our opinions to ourselves?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Monty but he's made of glass. Jones is really really good and Williams is no slouch. Cant see him playing rb any more. If he moves to wr can he contribute? It might be time to realize that spending a 3rd round pick on him was a mistake and cut him if he can't make it at wr next year. In any case, given his injury history, the Packers should be ready to move on if gets hurt again.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He can be a utility guy who can take a ST spot. I mean you are carrying Janis on the roster. I think Ty can bring much more value and mix match issues to other teams than Janis does.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a RB he was at receiver for a reason. He should be put a WR he's strong there but not durable at RB he doesn't know how to avoid punishment from line backers and linemen.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are people talking about TyMo like he is a FA after the season. He will be on the roster next season. I've said he is not very durable from the beginning but he is talented and versatile. If anything it may be Cobb who won't be here with the pricetag he carries. It's Adams and Linsley who we need to worry about being resigned. They are huge parts of this team. Both will be targeted on the market. Adams will be 10mil per and Linsley at least 8mil per

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe keep him as a Hybrid of of guy. Can go WR or RB when needed. Would give opposing Defensive Coordinators something to chew on when game planning for him.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Make him the primary kick/punt returner and let him be a "floater" at the RB and WR positions when there are injuries or when someone needs a breather. He should be #3 at RB and #4 or #5 at WR...with the current roster.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve always viewed Montgomery as a guy with enough versatility that you are best served by moving him around the formation, putting him in motion making the defense make correct adjustments on the fly. One guy ******** up gives us a favorable matchup to be exploited for an explosive play.

twan890

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd move him back to WR. Re-sign Adams, move Jordy to the slot, and Montgomery on the opposite side. With a healthy #12, that's a fairly lethal set of wideouts.

Williams and Jones give you plenty in the backfield, and complement each other nicely. No need for Montgomery back there.

I think I still like having Cobb on the field. We're paying for him, might as well keep using him.

I wonder how they compare quickness and route running, now that Ty has converted his body to be more RB than WR.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and he can't keep a position.

How so? It was injuries to others that forced us to play him RB...and maybe his own injuries would force a move back to WR.

When Nelson retires, it'll be Cobb/Adams as main duo with Ty playing the backfield role.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How so? It was injuries to others that forced us to play him RB...and maybe his own injuries would force a move back to WR.

When Nelson retires, it'll be Cobb/Adams as main duo with Ty playing the backfield role.
well he missed the rest of his rookie season at WR on the inactive list and IR after a handful of games played only. injury at RB did move him to that position, but it appears he's not that durable. I'd be leaning towards moving him to WR and seeing if he can take Cobb's role in the offense, but I'm not sure we can count on him being available. He seems to regularly leave games with ankle injuries and that's not even considering the stuff that keeps him out for weeks. I had high hopes for him. But he looked slow this year at RB, much slower than I remember him. and then hurt. Hard to really get a gauge, but he's clearly been out played by the 2 rookie RB's going right now. I would not keep him there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Cobb is a good fit for Rodgers playing in the slot. I’d keep Montgomery as a backup RB and Cobb’s backup. Montgomery is cheap insurance as he’s on his first contract and has a variety of useful skills in this offense. Until something better comes along through the draft which would take time to develop a working rapport with Rodgers, I don’t see a need to release either of them. Also, Cobb is essentially your game day emergency QB.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep him at RB and use him as a Sprolles guy. Don't over think it guys
I just dont see him having the quicks of a Sproles type. Especially with all the additional heft he is carrying. It may be just me but he doesnt seem to have the same quicks as last year. I was really excited about his possibilities after last year but maybe its just he cant stay healthy and Mccarthy doesnt know how to use him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts