"The Fumble"

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok......... now say What? Ummmmmm Inside 2 minutes, a fumble inside the 20 cannot be recovered and advanced by anone other than the player who fumbled. Or the ball is spotted at the spot of the recovery? Safety?

When did football become congress. Rules changing while we sleep? Lacy recovered it, and got forward progress out of the endzone IMO...

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been a rule for a while. I've seen the same call numerous times. The refs made the right call, we got beat by a great Buffalo defense today.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been a rule for a while. I've seen the same call numerous times. The refs made the right call, we got beat by a great Buffalo defense today.
It was the right call, but I still dont get the rule. We deserved to lose today anyway.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its to prevent the fumbling team from advancing the ball via fumble. cant just call it sometimes and not others obviously.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the ball didnt advance as a fumble... I dont like the rule. someone kicks it out of the endzone, then yea, you cant advance the ball that way. Spotted in the endzone and a safety. Our fumble went backwards and Lacy picked it up before advancing forward.... There is a difference...

H

HardRightEdge

Lacy did not get out of the end zone anyway. The entire ball must cross the goal line to avoid a safety.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
One of the reasons for the rule.

The Holy Roller: The Oakland Raiders won a September 10, 1978, contest against divisional rivals the San Diego Chargers through another intentional fumble. With ten seconds left, down 20-14, quarterback Ken Stabler fumbled the ball forward to avoid being sacked at the Chargers' 15-yard line. Two other players, Pete Banaszak and Dave Casper, attempted to recover it but batted it forward when they could not. Finally it reached the end zone, where Casper fell on it for the tying touchdown, which cleared the way for the extra point that gave the Raiders the win. Officials decided to allow the touchdown on the grounds that the fumbles did not appear to be intentional and thus could not be considered forward passes, but Stabler freely admitted his was. Chargers fans have referred to the play as the Immaculate Deception ever since, and after the 1978 season, the NFL instituted the current rule that a forward fumble in the last two minutes of play (or on fourth down) can only be recovered and/or advanced by the player who originally fumbled.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumble

Reaction score
Its a bogus rule.. politicians have worked their way in every facet of society.. we cant flush our toilet without worrying about being in compliance. Anyone else notice it's hard to find a regular 100 watt light bulb?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again...the rule is a red herring. There's no angle you can watch to say that Lacy got the ball 100% out of the end zone and they never ruled he did.

Rule or no rule it's a safety.

I actually find it a lot more annoying that we can't kick off a tee after that and we had to settle for that pathetic onside punt attempt.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got beat by ourselves today. Rodgers had time. Lacy averaged 6.5 yards per carry. Nelson dropped a probable TD. Adams looked completely lost (that's been the case the past 3 weeks though).

What strikes me as funny is how people are willing to label the Bills defense as "great" but they will say ours is mediocre or even bad. Our defense outplayed theirs today.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ball doesn't have to be 100% out of the end zone to not be a safety. It has to be 100% IN the end zone to be counted as a safety.

No, the ball has to be completely out of the end zone otherwise it is a safety. Have you ever seen the ball spotted on the goal line? Never.

From the nfl rule book defining a safety: Two points are scored for the opposing team when the ball is dead on or behind a team’s own goal line.

Note that it says "on or behind the goal line", not just behind.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't they simply follow the rule where you can not advance the ball via a FORWARD fumble. Doubt it would have mattered but I don't like the rule.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why can't they simply follow the rule where you can not advance the ball via a FORWARD fumble. Doubt it would have mattered but I don't like the rule.

I don't like the rule either. I can understand not allowing to advance a forward fumble, but if it's backwards, why not? The only reason to not allow it is to prevent the offense from having an advantage and how in the world can there be an advantage if the ball is fumbled backwards? With that logic, then they shouldn't allow a lateral to be advanced in the final 2 minutes either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like the rule either. I can understand not allowing to advance a forward fumble, but if it's backwards, why not? The only reason to not allow it is to prevent the offense from having an advantage and how in the world can there be an advantage if the ball is fumbled backwards? With that logic, then they shouldn't allow a lateral to be advanced in the final 2 minutes either.
Or a pitch for that matter. I absolutely hate how litigious the NFL rulebook has become. I wish they would just chuck it in the fire and dust off the 1994 rulebook and go with that. That seemed to be the time when the rules struck just about the right balance. The only thing I would keep since then would be getting rid of the "would have been in bounds if the receiver wasn't shoved" rule.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ball doesn't have to be 100% out of the end zone to not be a safety. It has to be 100% IN the end zone to be counted as a safety.

No, it doesn't. All the ball has to do is break the plane of your own goal line and it's a safety. Just like on the other end scoring a TD.

D

Deleted member 6794

We got beat by ourselves today. Rodgers had time. Lacy averaged 6.5 yards per carry. Nelson dropped a probable TD. Adams looked completely lost (that's been the case the past 3 weeks though).

What strikes me as funny is how people are willing to label the Bills defense as "great" but they will say ours is mediocre or even bad. Our defense outplayed theirs today.

While the running game was working and our receivers dropped some balls the Bills pass defense was amazing. Give some credit when it´s due.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bills secondary was given a free pass yesterday. They were getting there early. Remember when Quarless went up and over the defender, and at the last second had it knocked out? He ran into Quarless with both hands up, and slightly turned his head sideways(looking for the ball?) Meanwhile Quarless has to go up and over him to get to the ball???? WTH!!!!!!!!!!!! Jordy got mugged a few times. But the biggest was the 2nd int when (Adams i think) got hit and wrapped up 2 steps before the ball got there. Couldnt get his hands up, and ball bounced off him up in the air. Or Cobb in the endzone? They had illegal contact first. THEN blatant interferance. I can only assume they considered it uncatchable? It wouldnt have been uncatchable if they didnt pinball him through his route...It happened all night. Rodgers started in the first half complaining. By the second half he just accepted there was no rules for the secondary today...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wrong thread but:

Duds: The OP complaining about a rule changing while he slept when it’s been around for over 30 years. And the OP and others ignoring the fact that Lacy didn’t get out of the EZ anyway.

Packers fans complaining about the officiating. While there were some bad calls and non-calls that’s not why the Packers lost the game. One of the, if not the most accurate passer in NFL history was inaccurate. Receivers compounded that problem by dropping catchable balls. The punt team allowed a long PR for TD. The Packers had yet another kick blocked. Rodgers had the ball knocked away into the EZ. None of that was on the officials.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it doesn't. All the ball has to do is break the plane of your own goal line and it's a safety. Just like on the other end scoring a TD.
Yes, someone else already said that. Thank you for repeating him.

Slayer Dude

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we have to blame it on something else other than the mighty Packers performance. The officiating seems like a good place to start.

Members online

Latest posts