"The Fumble"

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, the fumble was ruled correctly, so we should not complain!

I do however not like the rule. The goal of the rule is to prevent offenses to take advantage of a fumble late in the game. This makes sense. I my opinion however there is no reason why the offense shouldn't be able to bring the ball back to the line of scrimmage! You shouldn't be able to advance the ball past the line scrimmage though. In this case, the most favourable result for the offense would be just a lost play without the loss of yards. Therefore there is no way to take advantage of a fumble late in the game.

I agree, the ruling was correct but IMO the rule most likely wasn't written with the intent of a late fumble in your own territory resulting in pretty much an automatic safety.

I would write the rule the same way as you that the ball will be spotted where it is downed, with no better result than getting it back at the LOS.

However this would have made no difference in this case as Lacy did not make it back into the field of play before being tackled.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The only reason the Bills pass defense appeared to be "excellent" was because Rodgers didn't show up to the game and nobody could catch the ball. That wasn't because of anything the Bills did.
That’s homerism. The Bills D is in the top five in points and yards surrendered. Top five in passing yards surrendered. It’s tied for first in surrendering passing TDs, first in sacks, and second in INTs. You post as though you think they’ve had the same officiating crew all season. Here’s a news flash just for you: Their passing D is very good. You denying that makes you look uninformed. And so does your thinking that the Bills D had nothing to do with Rodgers’ inaccuracy.

BTW, it takes no courage to post on the internet so your ‘not being afraid’ to whine about the officials smacks of false bravado.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s homerism. The Bills D is in the top five in points and yards surrendered. Top five in passing yards surrendered. It’s tied for first in surrendering passing TDs, first in sacks, and second in INTs. You post as though you think they’ve had the same officiating crew all season. Here’s a news flash just for you: Their passing D is very good. You denying that makes you look uninformed. And so does your thinking that the Bills D had nothing to do with Rodgers’ inaccuracy.

BTW, it takes no courage to post on the internet so your ‘not being afraid’ to whine about the officials smacks of false bravado.

It's a combo of both the Bills D being good and the Packers making mistakes.

The Bills defense played well and had tight coverage. However, the 7 drops were most by any team in the league since 2008, there were many throws Rodgers normally makes, and WRs not being on the same page wasn't normal either.

Bills defense gets credit, but the Packers made mistakes as well.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see the replay. It looked like Lacy got the ball across (sideways) with the first push. And with forward progress would have been out... Maybe not, didnt see the goal line view.

So say the football gets completely out of the endzone SIDEWAYS??? Since the ball is longer than it is wide. When spotted it would be tip in the endzone still???

Not to split hairs..... LOL

I dont like the rule. Regular fumbling rules, regarding forward progress, should apply

D

Deleted member 6794

I would like to see the replay. It looked like Lacy got the ball across (sideways) with the first push. And with forward progress would have been out... Maybe not, didnt see the goal line view.

Lacy didn´t get the ball out of the endzone so it´s a moot discussion.

So say the football gets completely out of the endzone SIDEWAYS??? Since the ball is longer than it is wide. When spotted it would be tip in the endzone still???

Not to split hairs..... LOL

I dont like the rule. Regular fumbling rules, regarding forward progress, should apply

If Rodgers picks up the ball and gets it out of the endzone completely it doesn´t result in a safety and the ball would be spotted at the line where the play would have been whistled dead.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Rodgers had located the ball immediately, it looked to me like he would have had the time to run it out of the EZ. Or he could have thrown it away - as long as it wouldn't have been ruled grounding (in the EZ = safety).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If Rodgers had located the ball immediately, it looked to me like he would have had the time to either run it out of the EZ. Or he could have thrown it away - as long as it wouldn't have been ruled grounding (in the EZ = safety).

I blame Micah Hyde for it. If he would have fair caught the punt Lacy would have been allowed to run it out. :D

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s homerism.

No, that's a fact, Marge.

You denying that makes you look uninformed.

Perhaps to the untrained eye.

And so does your thinking that the Bills D had nothing to do with Rodgers’ inaccuracy.

Let me make this easy for you. If Rodgers doesn't miss Nelson streaking free down the sideline when he threw the INT toward Cobb and Nelson makes what should have been an easy catch and gone, Rodgers would have likely finished with 2 TDs, 1 INT and around 340 yards. And that's just those two plays. Rodgers wasn't under any particular pressure on either of those plays. In fact, he wasn't particularly pressured all game long. How many sacks did the great Bills pass rush get? ONE... and that was the fumble.

That's pretty weak, but whatever. :rolleyes: Apparently you're not familiar enough with the English language to recognize common figures of speech and their usage. OTOH, your whole nonsensical notion that criticizing bad officiating is a big no-no smacks of elitism. It's clear that somehow you think you're better by bending over and taking your lashings like a big boy when turds like Leavy, Coleman and Triplette decide they'd rather be lazy than enforce the rules of the game. Yet when these idiots were on strike begging for undeserved pay increases by attempting to hijack the 2012 season (and I'm specifically talking about these three historically awful referees here, not all of them) it was suddenly en vogue to completely trash the guys who allowed the show to go on for every perceived imperfection. The standard for them was nothing less than absolute perfection, but when these bums are just as bad as the worst of those crews it's, "No, no, no...we can't criticize them!" And that, my friend, is a crock of bull. There is no "high ground" to be found in accepting incompetence.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This is a particularly foolish post, even for you, homer. The reason the Bills didn’t have to blitz more is because their back 7 excels at pass defense. You refuse to acknowledge their stats this season, instead using the officials as an excuse as if they had the same officiating crew all season long. That pass D was the cause of some of Rodgers’ inaccuracy that you are too much a homer to recognize or acknowledge. And when you talk about what if this pass or that pass were completed, you have to talk about the potential INTs the Bills dropped but you won’t because you’re too much a homer.

I never posted “criticizing officiating is a big no-no” – I wouldn’t write something so idiotic. What I posted was the primary reason the Packers lost was the Packers. The secondary reason was the Bills excellent pass D. I agree with El Guapo the third reason was the Bills’ STs: They had a long PR for a TD and they blocked a FG attempt. Regarding officiating I posted, “Rarely do the officials dictate the outcome of a game. The 'fail Mary' was one such example” So IMO criticizing the “officials” for the Fail Mary game was justified.

Even worse than your whining about the officials is Packers fans like you who can’t recognize good play by opponents make all Packers fans look bad.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

LOL... I bet you think your petty insults make you a big man, don't you?

My point stands unchallenged. If Rodgers doesn't have a brain fart and Nelson holds onto the ball, we likely end up with 340 yards and 2TDs based on those two plays alone. And I suppose if grabbing jerseys when you get beat, shoving guys way beyond 5 yards and getting away with it and tackling receivers before the ball arrives makes you a great defense, then sure the Bills are the greatest of all time. :rolleyes: In all likelihood, if the rules had been enforced as we were told they would be before the season started, we'd be 11-3.

Now, welcome to the bozo bin.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You started with the insults.

Packers fans that don’t respect the talent and play of other teams harm the reputation of all Packers fans. You can count yourself in that group. Whining isn’t a becoming trait.
Now, welcome to the bozo bin.
No thanks. You've got it all to yourself.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You started with the insults.

Packers fans that don’t respect the talent and play of other teams harm the reputation of all Packers fans. You can count yourself in that group. Whining isn’t a becoming trait. No thanks. You've got it all to yourself.
Don't look now, we agree on something. The Bills pass defense is one of the best in the league. To dismiss that is just foolish. To assume the Packers would have won if Nelson catches that pass is also foolish. Because every play after that one would more than likely have been different. It's a bogus argument. Particularly since it happened only 6 minutes into the game. The only time a statement like that rings true is if it's the last play of a close game.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy's drop was at the end of the 3rd quarter and could have given the Packers the lead going into the 4th. It was huge. The fumble in the endzone was the perfect ending for a terrible offensive performance against the best defensive team in the NFL. WE were bad; they were good and both are reasons for the outcome. Rogers is the greatest. Spahn is the greatest lefty of all time, and he was knocked out of games when "he didn't have it". Great athletes have bad days; what makes them great is that those days don't happen often. Time to move on.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even assume that Jordy would have had a touchdown. He might have, but he still had a safety to beat that would have had a chance to make a play around midfield. If he makes the tackle, we certainly can't assume it would have led to a scoring drive.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't even assume that Jordy would have had a touchdown. He might have, but he still had a safety to beat that would have had a chance to make a play around midfield. If he makes the tackle, we certainly can't assume it would have led to a scoring drive.

Could have fumbled it as being tackled as well

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A liger, bred for its skills in magic, could have run onto the field and torn Nelson to shreds after he caught the ball. Thank goodness he dropped the ball, eliminating the possibility of the liger-Nelson fiasco.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This has been a rule for a while. I've seen the same call numerous times. The refs made the right call, we got beat by a great Buffalo defense today.

No, we got beat by McCarthy's poor play calling. Lacy was SHREDDING Buffalo, but McCarthy kept trying to force the pass. Our defense was on point, all we needed to do was feed Lacy and we win. Simple. As. That.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't look now, we agree on something. The Bills pass defense is one of the best in the league. To dismiss that is just foolish.

...and Leavy's crew let them grab, shove and whatever else they wanted to do in the secondary without a single penalty. To dismiss that is at least equally foolish.

To assume the Packers would have won if Nelson catches that pass is also foolish. Because every play after that one would more than likely have been different.

Are you denying that your chances of winning are better with more points on the board?

It's a bogus argument. Particularly since it happened only 6 minutes into the game. The only time a statement like that rings true is if it's the last play of a close game.

What on earth are you talking about? Both of those plays (the INT that should have been a TD and "The Drop") happened late in the third quarter about 3 minutes apart from each other, not "6 minutes into the game." And here you are calling me foolish.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...and Leavy's crew let them grab, shove and whatever else they wanted to do in the secondary without a single penalty. To dismiss that is at least equally foolish.
And again, you ignore the point that the Bills haven't had the same officiating crew all season, so how did their D achieve their current status?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To assume the Packers would have won if Nelson catches that pass is also foolish. Because every play after that one would more than likely have been different.
Are you denying that your chances of winning are better with more points on the board?

And again, none of us has any idea if Nelson would have actually scored on the play and if he did not, if it would have even led to a scoring drive.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

What on earth are you talking about? Both of those plays (the INT that should have been a TD and "The Drop") happened late in the third quarter about 3 minutes apart from each other, not "6 minutes into the game." And here you are calling me foolish.
I had the timing of the drop wrong. Still, it does not matter. No one can say he would have scored, would have fumbled, or what. And again, even if he does score, it changes every play after that. I stand by my statement, Unless it was the last play of the game, you just don't know how it would have effected the outcome.

One thing I notice. People ***** about refs when their team loses a close game, or one they think they should have easily won.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And again, none of us has any idea if Nelson would have actually scored on the play and if he did not, if it would have even led to a scoring drive.
I suppose he could have tripped over his own feet on the way to the goal line or something.

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had the timing of the drop wrong. Still, it does not matter. No one can say he would have scored, would have fumbled, or what. And again, even if he does score, it changes every play after that. I stand by my statement, Unless it was the last play of the game, you just don't know how it would have effected the outcome.

It certainly would have been a positive one for the Packers if we had scored 2 more TDs on those two plays! What, do you think the Kyle Orton suddenly would have become Peyton Manning if we had scored or something?

One thing I notice. People ***** about refs when their team loses a close game, or one they think they should have easily won.
And it simply boggles the mind that other people think bad officiating doesn't affect games. No matter how bad it is, some people mistakenly think it's the noble road to pretend it didn't make a difference.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose he could have tripped over his own feet on the way to the goal line or something.

Or perhaps Bills safety Aaron Williams , who was still behind Nelson, could have made an open field tackle or at least slowed down Nelson enough for other pursuit to get there. I know, crazy thought.

Members online

Latest posts