"The Fumble"

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers fans complaining about the officiating. While there were some bad calls and non-calls that’s not why the Packers lost the game.
I'm sick of this notion that it is somehow taboo to call out poor officiating where it exists. While that wasn't the only, or even primary reason we lost, it was certainly a significant factor. When the other team is routinely allowed to grab jerseys, arms and anything else they can get their hands on well before the ball arrives, something is wrong. Bill Leavy and his entire crew have no business on a football field at any level. This is typical for his games. This is the same POS that gave SF an extra down last year in Week 1 against us when it should have been 4th down. He's the same POS that screwed up Superbowl XL. When you google "nfl referee downgrade" his name pops up more than any other. So please, do NOT talk down to anyone who criticizes this clown and his antics.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who would prefer not to use Chinese made compact florescent bulbs that could eventually contaminate landfills and groundwater with mercury.
Or who would prefer not to have to call a hazmat team if one breaks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
While that wasn't the only, or even primary reason we lost...
That's the important point - the primary reason for the loss was the performance of the Packers. The rest sounds like whining to me. Rarely to the officials dictate the outcome of a game. The 'fail Mary' was one such example. This game wasn't.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I'm sick of this notion that it is somehow taboo to call out poor officiating where it exists. While that wasn't the only, or even primary reason we lost, it was certainly a significant factor. When the other team is routinely allowed to grab jerseys, arms and anything else they can get their hands on well before the ball arrives, something is wrong. Bill Leavy and his entire crew have no business on a football field at any level. This is typical for his games. This is the same POS that gave SF an extra down last year in Week 1 against us when it should have been 4th down. He's the same POS that screwed up Superbowl XL. When you google "nfl referee downgrade" his name pops up more than any other. So please, do NOT talk down to anyone who criticizes this clown and his antics.

And please don`t talk down to anybody who doesn`t.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we have to blame it on something else other than the mighty Packers performance. The officiating seems like a good place to start.
officiating was terrible, the deference between this game and the patriot game was we got the hacking calls. refs pretty much let the DB's mugg our receivers. not to make excuses MM failed at adjusting because the run was working perfectly and we went away from the run. starks and lacy was gashing them.

desertdog55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a little bewildered at Rodger's ho hum body language after the fumble. But then again, maybe it was just me.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing I learned new on this was I didn't think an offensive player OTHER than the fumbling player could ever advance the ball at all at any time in any spot on the field for any reason on a fumble!

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the important point - the primary reason for the loss was the performance of the Packers. The rest sounds like whining to me. Rarely to the officials dictate the outcome of a game. The 'fail Mary' was one such example. This game wasn't.
First of all, there was a blatant PI in the first half where Nelson's jersey was clearly grabbed and pulled while in the end zone. We should have had the ball on the 1 yard line. The back judge was right there. No call. Tell me that didn't have any effect on the outcome of the game. Then there was second INT where the guy grabbed Boykin's right arm which prevented him from getting both hands on the ball.

While the officiating wasn't the primary factor in losing, it was enough of a factor to have made the difference in such a close game.

Last edited:

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if Lacy got out of the endzone, it was dead the second he had possession of it. People still don't understand the rules after it being explained to them. That's why their criticism of the officials is completely invalid.

Daryl Muellenberg

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if Lacy got out of the endzone, it was dead the second he had possession of it. People still don't understand the rules after it being explained to them. That's why their criticism of the officials is completely invalid.

People are criticizing the officials for not calling PI and illegal contact in the secondary all game, not about the fumble.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy did not get out of the end zone anyway. The entire ball must cross the goal line to avoid a safety.

That's a weird rule if it's true. The entire ball doesn't have to cross the first down line to get a first down, and the entire ball doesn't have to cross the end zone to get a TD.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's a weird rule if it's true. The entire ball doesn't have to cross the first down line to get a first down, and the entire ball doesn't have to cross the end zone to get a TD.

From the NFL rule book:

Note (2): A ball in the end zone which is carried toward the field of play is still in touch. It is a safety or touchback if any part of the ball is on, above, or behind the goal line (plane) when dead.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Think of it as the opposite of a TD. When any part of the ball breaks the plane of the goalline, it's a TD. Same way on the other side. If any part of the ball is still breaking the plane on your own end, it's a safety. Otherwise the ball would be spotted with part of it touching the goalline which can't happen. It actually does make sense, it would be very illogical to avoid a safety by getting half the ball back into the field of play when you were down and not the entire ball.

H

HardRightEdge

The logic behind it is pretty simple. The ball is considered in the end zone if any part of it is in the end zone. That applies consistently on scores or safeties.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
First of all, there was a blatant PI in the first half where Nelson's jersey was clearly grabbed and pulled while in the end zone. We should have had the ball one the 1 yard line. The back judge was right there. No call. Tell me that didn't have any effect on the outcome of the game. Then there was second INT where the guy grabbed Boykin's right arm which prevented him from getting both hands on the ball.

While the officiating wasn't the primary factor in losing, it was enough of a factor to have made the difference in such a close game.
That just comes across as whining. We both agree the primary factor/reason the Packers lost was the Packers. The officiating is then at best secondary. IMO the secondary reason the Packers lost was the Bills' excellent pass defense. That would put the officiating third. Anyway IMO whining about the officiating unless it was the primary reason for a loss reflects poorly on Packers fans.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the officiating is fourth, because you've got to acknowledge the Bill's special teams. They returned a punt for a TD and blocked a FG.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, the fumble was ruled correctly, so we should not complain!

I do however not like the rule. The goal of the rule is to prevent offenses to take advantage of a fumble late in the game. This makes sense. I my opinion however there is no reason why the offense shouldn't be able to bring the ball back to the line of scrimmage! You shouldn't be able to advance the ball past the line scrimmage though. In this case, the most favourable result for the offense would be just a lost play without the loss of yards. Therefore there is no way to take advantage of a fumble late in the game.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually the officiating is fourth, because you've got to acknowledge the Bill's special teams. They returned a punt for a TD and blocked a FG.
I think I'd flip that around. Poor Packer special teams play is more like it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the secondary reason the Packers lost was the Bills' excellent pass defense.
The only reason the Bills pass defense appeared to be "excellent" was because Rodgers didn't show up to the game and nobody could catch the ball. That wasn't because of anything the Bills did. Nelson burned his man and got open for what should have been touchdowns twice. One of those times Rodgers was asleep at the wheel and he threw an INT Cobb's way when he was wide open on the other side. The other time he just flat out dropped it. So as it stands, there should have been two more TDs on the scoreboard. And it's 100% Rodgers and Nelson's fault that didn't happen, because it was there for the taking.

If this game was the other way around I highly doubt you'd be calling the Packers pass defense "excellent." The talk would be all about how the defense got away with one because they caught the other QB on a bad day and the other team's receivers couldn't catch the ball -- how their QB missed guys who were wide open and how guys who were open dropped nearly everything they got their hands on.

The Bills pass defense was tertiary, because without Leavy's incompetent crew turning a blind eye in the secondary, they wouldn't have have looked nearly as good. You could coach any team to be pretty good if you knew ahead of time you were going to be allowed to shove guys beyond 5 yards, wrap them up before the ball arrives and grab their jerseys if they get away from you. All three of those things happened without penalty on a regular basis. That's not "excellent defense." That's Bill Leavy letting you do whatever you want.

Now you can call it whining all you want, but if it quacks it's a duck, I'm not afraid to call it one. To turn a blind eye to incompetence is to accept incompetence. Why do you think coaches are allowed to file complaints on referees? Is it "whining" if they file one? Bill Leavy is downgraded more often than any other crew in football. There's a reason for that. The POS should have been fired years ago after ******** up the Super Bowl.