The Free Agency Thread

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup just an article saying we should pursue him. i dont think he is making a decision until after the draft tho which isnt super helpful to our draft situation.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the Packers should go after Allen Hurns and Breeland/Peterson/Gaines and drop Cobb. Unfortunately that would send Rodgers into a tail spin. His personal connections mean more to him than winning.

Rodgers rather have friends than win?

Mmmmmm ok

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone think that Packers stood as of late because they needed that money to sign Fuller if the Bears didn't? The Bears didn't actually didn't have to truly sign until yesterday...

Now that it is official, the Packers have that money to use.

I have a feeling something will happen

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think they thought they had any chance at fuller in the first place. their offer wasnt all that great if they wanted to actually land him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think they thought they had any chance at fuller in the first place. their offer wasnt all that great if they wanted to actually land him.
I don't know if I'd say that. They made a good offer, what was wrong with it? It paid him like a Franchise DB. The Bears didn't franchise bim, GB obviously valued him and offered to pay him as such. It made the Bears decide if they wanted to pay a Franchise DB or not. They decided to. GB had a shot, the offer was fair.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think what Longtime is saying is that until the Bears officially signed Fuller, they (the Packers) were technically still on the hook and thus needed to keep the space open for that .1% chance that something happened.

It’s an interesting theory.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While we’re here, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea. Obviously he’s older and not a long term solution, but on the field he’s basically still comparable to a guy liken Rashaan Melvin.

Sign DRC... wait a bit and sign Breeland When his foot is done being septic... sittin’ pretty.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think what Longtime is saying is that until the Bears officially signed Fuller, they (the Packers) were technically still on the hook and thus needed to keep the space open for that .1% chance that something happened.

It’s an interesting theory.

i thimk it was their last ditch option after pursuing others and they took a shot in the dark. i dont believe they ever really believed they had him tho.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
i thimk it was their last ditch option after pursuing others and they took a shot in the dark. i dont believe they ever really believed they had him tho.

I think it was a no lose situation for them. Best case, they get the best corner on the market. Worst case, they force a rival to spend money on their terms.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was a no lose situation for them. Best case, they get the best corner on the market. Worst case, they force a rival to spend money on their terms.

exactly. i dont really think they lost out on anyone due to putting together that package. they missed out on guys they werent willing to overpay. they took a shot on fuller and it did no harm.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually worst case is we have 18 million in cap space tied up for 5 days during FA for a player we weren't getting.

Fyi that's what happened

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually worst case is we have 18 million in cap space tied up for 5 days during FA for a player we weren't getting.

Fyi that's what happened

Do you think they lost out on anyone they wanted as a result?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think they lost out on anyone they wanted as a result?

I honestly don't know. Nobody does.

But tieing up 18 million of your cap for 5 days in FA when your obviously looking for CBs is far from the "risk free move" that some would like it to seem

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers offer for Fuller was definitely fine. With the Bears having significantly more cap space it was a long shot he would end up in Green Bay though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THere's risk in every move though, i'm fine with it. It didn't seem excessive. Signing Sherman with 2 bad achilles tendons to a crazy contract is huge risk, giving a franchise offer to a DB you've targeted from the start, which I think they did, because he wasn't protected with the franchise tag comes with some risk. But not overly so. There weren't 4 other DB's with his talent level available at the time. and the guys that are left aren't exactly the type we need to fall over ourselves to try and get. They may have made this offer because they lost out on a couple other guys. It sounds like they had interest in at least 1 of those guys that was signed early, but you win some you lose some.

If someone they really coveted was available, there were ways to sign most anyone if they really wanted to. I don't think the Cap space was that important in this situation. Nobody left is going to command a franchise type contract either. I see a guy like Bulaga as someone that may stay or go. Easily creates enough space to sign any of those guys left and an option to this team. Sure we have to replace Bulaga, but then we've essentially had to do that most seasons with him still taking a roster spot and cap space. I'm not in a hurry to cut him, see what he's like in camp if he's ready and make a decision. But if a guy they want or needed somewhere else was available, he's a guy we can cut and make room for. I don't think the Fuller offer precluded us from doing anything actually.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts