The Free Agency Thread

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "premo" get would be Patrick Peterson. Still has 3 years left on his contract and AZ would be subsidizing part of that. Think he would cost the Packers roughly $11.25 M in each of year 1 and 2 and then $12.5M in year 3. He apparently wants out of AZ, but what does AZ want in exchange for him? 2nd rounder?
his contract is about what the Packers were willing to pay fuller too. it's very doable. seeing the trades that have already taken place there's no way it would cost a first or a second to get him.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Graham’s cap number is only around 5m this year. Makes you wonder why we didn’t sign a CB.

VegasPacker

Cheeseman of the Board
Reaction score
About 20 million under the cap and not a single decent veteran Cornerback added to this roster and now the FA CB market is all but completely dried up....awesome.

Unless wonder boy pulls a miracle trade out of his *** for a shutdown corner, it's gonna be a season of opposing QBs launching aerial assaults against our secondary.....AGAIN. What's the over/under on private face palms from Mike Pettine so far?.....I'd say about 6.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
About 20 million under the cap and not a single decent veteran Cornerback added to this roster and now the FA CB market is all but completely dried up....awesome.

Unless wonder boy pulls a miracle trade out of his *** for a shutdown corner, it's gonna be a season of opposing QBs launching aerial assaults against our secondary.....AGAIN. What's the over/under on private face palms from Mike Pettine so far?.....I'd say about 6.

Well trades have become popular in the NFL. Way Way to early to hit the panic button.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gute goes to the draft and expects to fix the DB issue I will be pissed. I have faith that he has a masterplan.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Gute goes to the draft and expects to fix the DB issue I will be pissed. I have faith that he has a masterplan.

Agreed. First, we have seen just how well the draft has fixed our CB issues in the last 3 drafts. While a #14 pick in some years could fix the CB position, I don't expect Ward to still be there at 14 and I really don't think Jackson is an instant fix. Would much rather see that #14 pick be used on and edge player.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people have wasted far more time than the packers on this Fuller issue. He was a guy they liked, he was "available". they probably had this plan worked out ( at least 90% of it) heading into FA. Some of the moves before hand may have made them tweak it a bit, but they made their offer, the Bears matched. Win some, lose some. We're too far away for a "one player" mentality in FA and we don't have enough money to fill them all. Besides filling them all in FA barely works for anyone. Point to the Broncos, go ahead, and it was the #2 overall pick that made it work. Anyway, the season has barely started, this roster isn't going to be locked up and solid by training camp. Get used to the idea that it will have work to be done on it.

and we did see how the draft "fixed" our CD issue. We drafted Randall, Rollins and UDFA Gunter in '15. By seasons end, the preseason headlines went from depth and talent issues at DB's to Packers had a position of strength at DB's. The future was rosey. Then things happened. So what if we traded for Patrick Peterson and he got hurt and we picked up that dude from KC and found out he was more of a headcase than Randall. did we win? most of these guys signed last week will be cut in 3 years in cap saving moves. But we'll be on to new and better by then :)

If the draft is where they get most of their DB help from again, so be it. It takes 2-3 years before a defense is fully implemented anyway and if they do nothing else but cut down mistakes and blow coverages this season, we're already better back there.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
his contract is about what the Packers were willing to pay fuller too. it's very doable. seeing the trades that have already taken place there's no way it would cost a first or a second to get him.

I don't follow proceedings as closely as many, so I'll take the easy way out and ask. I've seen him rated anywhere from #1 to #10 CB in the league. What previous trades would lead you to posit that something less than a 2nd round draft choice would bring him in trade?

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams played really well last year. He's still available. DRC is decent yet. Ross Cockrell isn't bad. I think Lenzy Pipkins and Herb Waters (soup) will surprise some. It's a great CB class in the draft. So there are still options. Hopefully King progresses and stays healthy. Rollins I have no hopes for. I think HaHa will be a lot better this year.

I'm not worried yet.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers got Peterson for a 2nd and a 4th I would be ecstatic. His contract is cheap in this market and he is a top end corner. Cant imagine the Cardinals letting him go for that little. Honestly, cant understand why they would trade him in the first place

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams played really well last year. He's still available. DRC is decent yet. Ross Cockrell isn't bad. I think Lenzy Pipkins and Herb Waters (soup) will surprise some. It's a great CB class in the draft. So there are still options. Hopefully King progresses and stays healthy. Rollins I have no hopes for. I think HaHa will be a lot better this year.

I'm not worried yet.

Might as well go get DRC.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who thinks the Packers are still looking for a FA WR for the #3 spot? If they have the cap space, I would feel a lot better going into the draft not needing to take a WR early. If there is a decent one in the 2nd or 3rd Rd, grab him and develop him, but don't rely on him having to start.

I mentioned it last week, but would love to see the Packers get a hold of Martavis Bryant from the Steelers. They are pretty loaded at WR and he seems to be the odd man out.

Otherwise, another guy I like and he is a FA, is former Bronco Cody Latimer. A second Rd. pick in 2014 that didn't do much in Denver, but he also didn't have much in the way of great QB's throwing to him.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who thinks the Packers are still looking for a FA WR for the #3 spot? If they have the cap space, I would feel a lot better going into the draft not needing to take a WR early. If there is a decent one in the 2nd or 3rd Rd, grab him and develop him, but don't rely on him having to start.

I mentioned it last week, but would love to see the Packers get a hold of Martavis Bryant from the Steelers. They are pretty loaded at WR and he seems to be the odd man out.

Otherwise, another guy I like and he is a FA, is former Bronco Cody Latimer. A second Rd. pick in 2014 that didn't do much in Denver, but he also didn't have much in the way of great QB's throwing to him.

Yea. Go after Bryant, get DRC, and get ready for the draft. If the Bryant acquisition doesn't work out ( it would require a trade 2-4th round), then pursue Cody Latimer (possibly 4-5th round).

https://lombardiave.com/2018/03/17/packers-trade-martavis-bryant/

https://www.inquisitr.com/4832339/n...e-for-green-bay-packers-reports-lombardi-ave/

https://lombardiave.com/2018/03/18/green-bay-packers-work-free-agency/

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yea. Go after Bryant, get DRC, and get ready for the draft. If the Bryant acquisition doesn't work out ( it would require a trade 2-4th round), then pursue Cody Latimer (possibly 4-5th round).

https://www.inquisitr.com/4832339/n...e-for-green-bay-packers-reports-lombardi-ave/

I was iffy on DRC a few weeks ago, but given the current state of the secondary, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of bringing him in. A savvy veteran who could help bring King and some of the younger guys along, while providing a legit starter.

I really don't want to see the season start with King on one side and a rookie on the other side.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Brice Butler is a guy who's still out there who's big, fast, and a proven deep threat.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon, DRC, + draft pick. That's a definite improvement.

Burnett? Eric Reid? Some kind of versatile safety that can play NB? I haven't looked who's out there tbh.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was iffy on DRC a few weeks ago, but given the current state of the secondary, I'm starting to warm up to the idea of bringing him in. A savvy veteran who could help bring King and some of the younger guys along, while providing a legit starter.

I really don't want to see the season start with King on one side and a rookie on the other side.

I completely agree, because no one is really sure what to expect from King . Hopefully, he has a strong camp and produces right away, another rookie on the other side might spell doom. A great full season from DRC, with a possiblr mid-round pick up @ CB allows for progression with King and development with a potential rookie without exposing young talent to too many snaps. Gute better nail this draft.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brice Butler is a guy who's still out there who's big, fast, and a proven deep threat.

I like Brice Butler, but why hasn't Dallas committed to him? He outplayed Dez Bryant last year and never got many snaps (probably due to Dez's contract). What kind of contract would get him to come up North?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm less concerned about the WR position than CB or Edge. There are plenty of WR's still out there that would do well in Green Bay and maybe that was one of the reasons it wasn't that difficult for the Packers to release Jordy. But I do think it's important to sign a vet WR, one that AR will not have to worry about making rookie mistakes, but someone he can get on the same page with relatively quick.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really love this idea of Bryant. That would immediately take the sting from losing Jordy away. Right now the WR outside of Adams concerns me.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm less concerned about the WR position than CB or Edge. There are plenty of WR's still out there that would do well in Green Bay and maybe that was one of the reasons it wasn't that difficult for the Packers to release Jordy. But I do think it's important to sign a vet WR, one that AR will not have to worry about making rookie mistakes, but someone he can get on the same page with relatively quick.

Personally, its got to be Martavis Bryant, Brice Butler, or Terrelle Pryor. All three have something to prove. All three can be acquired for a one year rental. Five wide set including Mr. Graham and four wide (w/i-formation). Ideally (my opinion) Davante Adams (1), Martavis Bryant (2), Cobb (3), Allison (4), and Graham (5). Also, (to destroy souls) Adams, Bryant, Allison, Graham, with Cobb/Montgomery in the back field...yikes!!!

Members online

Latest posts