The Free Agency Thread

GBND4LIFE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well wow !!! Cause the time I was there it was said it was shutting down. Hmmm not my fault lol!!!

GBND4LIFE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know why I’m going to say this, but why do I have a Gute feeling we “The Pack” is going to make a trade for CB Patrick Peterson!! Hmmm maybe if I go on my Madden 18 and put Peterson on the Packer’s it will happen. Cause to be honest I’ve did some moving around already before Free Agency started and I went and put Graham and Mo on the Packers and I even put other guys on other teams and next thing you know I was like Wow!! All this actually happened. Hmmmmm maybe I’ll give it a try.

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what we have left for cap space? My quick and easy math with a couple of things I saw was we started with 20 mil and gained 10 with cutting Jordy. With Graham at 10 and Mo at 5 we should have around 15 million left. I realize the way the contracts are structured matters but just a general idea of where we are. Everything I hear is if/when AROD’s deal gets done we will gain a little more space so we still have some wiggle room. Unfortunately it seems like most of our options for decent FA’s are running out. Really would have loved Melvin at 6.5 and then signing House or Williams for depth. We could have really drafted BPA with most of our picks instead of trying to fill these holes that are being left.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We aren't trading for PP, but maybe Darby.

On the bright side with Matthieu, Burnett should be cheaper now.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would almost be kind of surprised if they didn’t make a trade at this point, but it’s possible that it won’t happen until the draft.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am growing increasingly concerned that Gute has misplayed the CB situation. He traded the best CB the Packers had on their roster for a backup QB we all hope never plays, and has struck out landing a first tier free agent to cover the position.

We are now headed into the Ted Thompson dumpster diving stage of free agency.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not in 2017 according to PFF. And not according to people with eyes who watched Packer games last season, especially after his sideline blow up.

He didn't such, but it's clear they didn't want to commit long term money to him...which is very understandable.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what we have left for cap space? My quick and easy math with a couple of things I saw was we started with 20 mil and gained 10 with cutting Jordy. With Graham at 10 and Mo at 5 we should have around 15 million left. I realize the way the contracts are structured matters but just a general idea of where we are. Everything I hear is if/when AROD’s deal gets done we will gain a little more space so we still have some wiggle room. Unfortunately it seems like most of our options for decent FA’s are running out. Really would have loved Melvin at 6.5 and then signing House or Williams for depth. We could have really drafted BPA with most of our picks instead of trying to fill these holes that are being left.
You also have to remember they need to have some for the draft picks. Packers rookie pool is around $9.3 million.

https://overthecap.com/draft

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall didn't suck, his attitude did, but if you can't see they kid has the talent to be pretty good, you're not watching. Maybe our locker room got better with his departure, but our defensive backfield did not.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Randall didn't suck, his attitude did, but if you can't see they kid has the talent to be pretty good, you're not watching. Maybe our locker room got better with his departure, but our defensive backfield did not.

That pretty much sums up Randall, but despite some of the good things he did in the back half of 2017, I would also add the word "inconsistent". Now I am sure that you can label many players that, but I think it was a trait, along with his personality, that the Packers saw in Randall that pushed him out of Green Bay.

Just based on the nature of this move, trading one of your "top" CB's from a unit that was pretty pathetic to begin with, leads me to believe that the Packer coaches and FO just didn't want Randall around, no matter what his future held.

We only see what happens on the field and many of us want to form our opinions based solely on that. What happens on the sidelines, at practices, in the locker room, etc. can determine a players future in an organization.

GBND4LIFE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone R-E-L-A-X!! I believe Gutekunst has a plane up his sleave. Yeah we got Herby Hancock Waters back, but I think he has something planed. I can’t see him trading Randell which was somewhat of a headache and not do anything at all. He knows King just had surgery same as Rollins. Something is going to happen. Now it might be Gaines, Breeland, DRC or maybe a trade for Peterson or Darby or who knows, but just let everything pan out. Peterson is not happy in Arizona. I’m just saying!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At this point I would love to see Gute go get Patrick Peterson. He still has 3 years left on a deal that would cost the Packers around $11.5 M/year.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark is the future along that line, relying on him to be a difference maker puts a spotlight on him that I don't think he deserves right now. As others have posted, he was drafted young and drafted for his potential which IMO is on pace with my expectations for him. Having a guy like Wilkerson come in and having Daniels there too will be awesome for his development.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone R-E-L-A-X!! I believe Gutekunst has a plane up his sleave. Yeah we got Herby Hancock Waters back, but I think he has something planed. I can’t see him trading Randell which was somewhat of a headache and not do anything at all. He knows King just had surgery same as Rollins. Something is going to happen. Now it might be Gaines, Breeland, DRC or maybe a trade for Peterson or Darby or who knows, but just let everything pan out. Peterson is not happy in Arizona. I’m just saying!!

What am I missing here that would warrant a "useful"?

Born Sinner

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure what kind of sleeve Gute wears, but to fit an entire plane in one? Wow. Unless, of course, it's just a toy plane. You didn't mention anything about a toy though...

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I miss a comment on the Pack getting counter offered on Kyle Fuller?? He got 14 mil a season.. to Rich for my blood.. wow corners are getting paidddddddd

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't counter. They only have to sign him to the contract we gave him. That's it. He agreed to a contract, the one we offered. Because of the tag, the Bears could match it. They did. No counters needed or allowed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Did I miss a comment on the Pack getting counter offered on Kyle Fuller?? He got 14 mil a season.. to Rich for my blood.. wow corners are getting paidddddddd

For whatever reason, I think Bears GM Ryan Pace did the Packers a big favor by doing that within 3 hours of Fuller signing the Packers offer. He could have waited the full 5 days and let the Packers dangle a bit, not knowing if they had their new starting CB or not. Not that there are many quality starting FA CB's still on the market, but Gute knew 4 days and 21 hrs sooner than he may have, that his work is still not done.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thing that became pretty obvious with the Packers going after Fuller, they feel that they are definitely in need of a top CB and were willing to spend quite a bit of money to obtain one. Now I know this was pretty obvious to most of us, but I was somewhat wondering if maybe they thought the current roster and some draft picks was all that was needed. I predict they will still attempt to sign or trade for a CB that can start and draft a few as well.

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gute played the Bears. Most Bears fans are pissed they matched the offer. Fuller is anything but a shut down corner. Everyone targets him. He has also only been good in his free agent year which is generally a terrible sign.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Gute played the Bears. Most Bears fans are pissed they matched the offer. Fuller is anything but a shut down corner. Everyone targets him. He has also only been good in his free agent year which is generally a terrible sign.

A lot of money to gamble with, just to play another GM, but you could be correct. I still think Pace messed up by responding so fast.

I have to wonder how this board would have responded if Fuller ended up a Packer under those terms. I knew it was going to be a high amount, but not quite that high. Then again, just like the signing of Graham, the Packers NEED a top 10 guy at a position and it appears to get that, you either have to overpay or hope you are investing in a guy that has a large upside.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
well...plans a, b, c, and d, have gone bust. plan e will be a piece of "flex tape" to stop the bleeding and a cb in the draft. difference makers in free agency are gone.

Never fear, TT has his eyes on a couple of division 2 Basketball players that could be Pro Bowlers someday at CB! We all keep forgetting, in some dark basement, TT is still hard at work! :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts