The first exhibition game: negatives and positives

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
hmm, maybe a package deal with the Cowboys... Rayner and a pick for Julius Jones??

I wouldn't mind adding a DT like Cole and a WR like Martin to that trade (along with the pick).

But the problem would be that Jones would need time to grasp the O scheme, and wouldn't be a big factor early on.

Also, Jones is 5 foot 10 inches and 210 pounds, very similar to VM and B-Jack, so the durability would still be a question.

I wouldn't mind it though...

I wouldn't want to trade Martin. I just have a feeling this kid's going to be good. We could use a 6'4" WR that can jump.

Reaction score
I FINALLY saw the game on NFLN...

POSITIVES:

- CB Tramone Williams: He is very active, and a hard hitter. Is a project, but would do very nicely as a #5 CB. Always trying to find a way to make a tackle, even if he is blocked by

- RB Brandon Jackson: Very good runner that is elusive, and has solid fundamentals (keeps feet moving and lowers shoulders when contact is coming). Has no problem finding holes to run through. He has the ability to pass block, but only lacks patience (which will come with time). He was eager to block when a blitz was called, and didn't wait for the blitzer to come to him. I don't see why that can't be solved with experience.

- LB Desmond Bishop: Seemed to be in on most plays, but more importantly seemed to have the qualities of good a leader. On a couple of occasions, I saw him communicating with his fellow LBs about who to pickup in zone coverage, and that was impressive from a rookie. Anti-Manuel, it would seem...

- WR Holiday: Great awareness and good ST player. Made a nice tackle, but more importantly he seems to be a physical WR which is good.

- WR Bodiford: Showed some explosion, which we desperately need on ST.

- WR Jones: Showed ability to find soft spots in coverage. Considering he is a rookie playing his first NFL game, that is VERY impressive.

- QB Aaron Rodgers: Very poised, and in great command. Seemed like a different player from a year ago. He did a great job buying himself some time when he needed to.

NEGATIVES:

- O-line: Didn't open running holes. Held up well in pass protection, but they need to open up holes for our RBs to run through.

- DE Larry Birdine: Seemed to be on the grass a lot. Would try a spin move, only to be taken down by the o-linemen. Once is understandable, but it happened a few times, which is unacceptable.

- QB Aaron Rodgers: As good a game as he had, he was helped by the WRs a great deal. Accuracy needs work, and he was under-throwing his targets more than you want to see from a starting QB. He needs to build on this.

- Special Teams: Terrible. Someone earlier in this thread said they wanted to yell out "Block somebody" and I agree. It seemed there were 3-4 Steelers just waiting for our KR/PR to catch the ball.

Reaction score

NEGATIVES:

- QB Aaron Rodgers

Credibility going,going,going,going.....GONE! It IS....OUTTA HERE!

I just mean that he needs to have better understanding on how much power to put behind his throws. There were a few plays that didn't happen because Rodgers underthrew his players (even with their outstretched hands) and the ball was incomplete.

He also under threw the TD pass, and were it not for Holiday's great reaction and hands, the ball would've been incomplete.

There were far more positives from Rodgers than negatives, that's for sure. He surprised me with his level of improvement, but he still has some things to work on.

He looked calm the entire time he was out there, which is something that impressed me also. Didn't let anything good or bad side track his concentration.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
lol ... Jackson finding holes that got a chuckle out of me thx :)

Aaron played well, stop trying to be the guy who rocks the boat, it doesnt fit your bill.

Reaction score
I dunno Zero, I though B-Jack was able to do something when he had lanes. Many a time I didn't see lanes opening up, which led to minimal gains. I don't think he did anything wrong that led to him getting 2-3 yard runs that he did.

As for Rodgers, I'm nitpicking, but it's also to show that he had far from a perfect game, and he still has things he needs to improve on. Because there is a certain poster that's going to use this performance as "proof" that Rodgers is the second coming of Peyton Manning, and I don't think it's fair to say that Rodgers didn't have flaws in his good performance. :)

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're questioning the TD to Holiday?

The announcers even agreed that it was a good pass by Rodgers and an even better catch by Holiday. There was NO OTHER WAY to do it especially with the coverage.

Reaction score

The announcers even agreed that it was a good pass by Rodgers and an even better catch by Holiday. There was NO OTHER WAY to do it especially with the coverage.

Ganon said the throw was good, but it could have been better by being a little higher.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Ganon said the throw was good, but it could have been better by being a little higher.
and maybe you could be a little better if you got up on the the right side of the bed a little bit higher on your pedestal! :)

I seen Jackson look at a hole and jump to his left into a Steeler. That was awful. Towards the end he was doing better. I'm not saying we're screwed because in the first quarter he screwed up a few times, jus saying he did not have a good performance. I wasn't expecting him to though, nor do I believe many were.

Reaction score
lol zero, yeah that's me nit picking, but hey all in all you can't complain about Rodgers. He did hella better than most of us expected.

On a different note, did anybody notice Rouse out there? I didn't see him standout at any particular point ... (not necessarily a bad thing).

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rouse came up and made one hard tackle. That made me happy.

As for what was bad... well, our O-line's run blocking is CLEARLY the biggest weakness of this team. I don't care what excuses you have about scheming and play calling. Running plays should generate at least two yards regularly. Our line was getting stuffed for the whole first quarter. Jackson didn't get any day light until the second stringers came in.

Overall, I will also say that our team has a lot of depth in every position (except safety). This is the thickest our bench has EVER been. Thanks Ted.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
So how many new Aaron fans were really supposed to be crow eaters
and were saying stuff like "Aaron was a wasted pick?"

Ah...come on...you can say it...hehe =)

I was impressed by Rodgers play. He was poised and in control even when scrambling. You could see the poise jus in his face and he made some decent throws.

I think his feet were the best thing he showed. Not that he didn't throw it good but all NFL QB's can throw it. He moved around real well and I think once he get's more PT he will settle down when he's on the run and become more accurate. He was off just a touch on a couple when he was moving but I can see where he will get that down with time.

Unlike Grossman who appears to not have a clue how to escape pressure it appears Rodgers has feet like Favre and that is a great sign.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I think his feet were the best thing he showed. Not that he didn't throw it good but all NFL QB's can throw it. He moved around real well and I think once he get's more PT he will settle down when he's on the run and become more accurate. He was off just a touch on a couple when he was moving but I can see where he will get that down with time.

Unlike Grossman who appears to not have a clue how to escape pressure it appears Rodgers has feet like Favre and that is a great sign.

Although his base in his throwing motion is more per excepted form, I think alot of traits from Brett can be seen in how Rodgers excaped the pocket. Ball positioning and more importantly how he kept his vision. Plus the ball fake to Jackson as he was scrambling down the sidelines.

I think the best thing for Rodgers is to gather as much studying time behind #4. If Rodgers would have had to play an extented amount the past two years, I wonder if his confidence would have ever recovered.

There is much to be said about him having to wait his time, but this time might make him a true NFL quarterback. But the thing that is impressive to me, he looks to have avoided some of Brett's traits... hmmm throwing off your back foot... throwing your shoulder into almost every throw..

Wonder how someone like Boller would have developed behind Favre.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although his base in his throwing motion is more per excepted form, I think alot of traits from Brett can be seen in how Rodgers excaped the pocket. Ball positioning and more importantly how he kept his vision. Plus the ball fake to Jackson as he was scrambling down the sidelines.

I think the best thing for Rodgers is to gather as much studying time behind #4. If Rodgers would have had to play an extented amount the past two years, I wonder if his confidence would have ever recovered.

There is much to be said about him having to wait his time, but this time might make him a true NFL quarterback. But the thing that is impressive to me, he looks to have avoided some of Brett's traits... hmmm throwing off your back foot... throwing your shoulder into almost every throw..

Wonder how someone like Boller would have developed behind Favre.

Good points. Rodgers seems like more of a studious, conservative QB by nature, but playing behind Brett might be teaching him to play with a little more pizazz. This really could be the ideal situation for him to learn how to be an NFL QB. I'm not going to expect any Packer QB to be as good as Brett, but Rodgers looks like he has the tools to be a well above average NFL QB, if he keeps working at it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NEGATIVES:

- QB Aaron Rodgers

I just mean that he needs to have better understanding on how much power to put behind his throws. There were a few plays that didn't happen because Rodgers underthrew his players (even with their outstretched hands) and the ball was incomplete.

He also under threw the TD pass, and were it not for Holiday's great reaction and hands, the ball would've been incomplete.

There were far more positives from Rodgers than negatives, that's for sure. He surprised me with his level of improvement, but he still has some things to work on.

He looked calm the entire time he was out there, which is something that impressed me also. Didn't let anything good or bad side track his concentration.

Actually he threw the touchdown pass in the right spot. He threw it behind the defender where he would not be able to see it coming (which he didn't) Holiday just had to make the play.

I see what your saying but watching it twice through now, I can't think of any bad throw that Rodgers made all night long. I saw some throws that weren't perfect but they were good enough and that's a positive for any Quarterback.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know the offense didn't set any records out there but I think it should be noted that the Steelers were coming into their second game vs our first one and the defense is going to be ahead of the offense at this point anyways.

Pittsburgh played on a neutral field against the Saints last week and were home with a new HC this time. They SHOULD have been further advanced just as we should be next week as well.

No, it wasn't a great start for the "0" but if the deal were turned around and we were playing our second game vs our opponents first I would expect our "D" to pretty much dominate as well. If we had played Harris, Woodson, Collins, and Manuel more than virtually not at all I doubt the Steelers score.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it at this point.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

NEGATIVES:

- QB Aaron Rodgers

Actually he threw the touchdown pass in the right spot. He threw it behind the defender where he would not be able to see it coming (which he didn't) Holiday just had to make the play.

I see what your saying but watching it twice through now, I can't think of any bad throw that Rodgers made all night long. I saw some throws that weren't perfect but they were good enough and that's a positive for any Quarterback.

Yeah, Gannon was picking A-rod apart pretty heavily. I think he was just jealous that he doesn't have a sweet NFL job anymore.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
Yeah, Gannon was picking A-rod apart pretty heavily. I think he was just jealous that he doesn't have a sweet NFL job anymore.

Actually Gannon likes Aaron a lot, and during the last couple years
has been coaching up Aaron..telling him to "push" Favre
and really earn his stripes. His "nitpicking" of Aaron's like
a coach helping his student get better. Gannon was a resourceful
QB and an up and coming commentator.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for Rodgers, I'm nitpicking, but it's also to show that he had far from a perfect game, and he still has things he needs to improve on. Because there is a certain poster that's going to use this performance as "proof" that Rodgers is the second coming of Peyton Manning, and I don't think it's fair to say that Rodgers didn't have flaws in his good performance. :)

Hmmm..I wonder who this "certain poster" is...

It couldn't POSSIBLY be MOI..because MOI wouldn't
call him the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning.
Muah called him the 2nd coming of Drew Brees w/2 extra inches
more mobility and more zip on his throws. More than an above
average QB IMHO w/those attributes.

MOI only defends Rodgers cuz others in the forum want to anoint Rodgers the next Ryan Leaf as he eats 3 mil in escalator salary and defers to Favre w/class.

Aaron has a LOT to clean up..but he definitely looked comfortable
out there on SAT. He's not a gambler like Favre..but he's also not
conservative.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

It couldn't POSSIBLY be MUAH..because MUAH wouldn't

MUAH only defends Rodgers cuz others in the forum want to anoint Rodgers the next Ryan Leaf as he eats 3 mil in escalator salary and defers to Favre w/class.

conservative.

muah? who the hell are you kissing all the time dude?

Moi ... MOI!

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It couldn't POSSIBLY be MUAH..because MUAH wouldn't

MUAH only defends Rodgers cuz others in the forum want to anoint Rodgers the next Ryan Leaf as he eats 3 mil in escalator salary and defers to Favre w/class.

conservative.

I think the word you were looking for was "moi". I don't think "muah" is used outside of referring to a kiss. :mrgreen:

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And look at that, I'm not alone wondering about the great "MUAH" incident of August 13th, 2007!

HAHAHA..Actually that's really funny..I didn't even realize..(was typing so fast)
hehe...I have to laugh at that one..good find.

Members online

Latest posts