The Favre Timeline

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An excellent post by Tom Silverstein of jsonline.com:

This is for the people that actually believe TT and MM pushed Favre out the door. The facts do not show that to be true.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/

The following is a timeline provided by Packers general manager Ted Thompson of the off-season dealings with quarterback Brett Favre. All of the information comes from Thompson and several sources close to Favre did not return phone messages seeking verification of Thompson's account.

* The following is a timeline provided by Packers general manager Ted Thompson of the off-season dealings with quarterback Brett Favre. All of the information comes from Thompson and several sources close to Favre did not return phone messages seeking verification of Thompson's account.

* Jan. 20, 2008 - The Packers lose in overtime to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game. Both Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy speak briefly to Favre before he returns home to Hattiesburg, Miss.

* Jan. 30 - McCarthy and Favre are both at the Super Bowl media center in Phoenix to collect post-season awards and spent about an hour chatting. The two talk again when McCarthy is at the Pro Bowl in Honolulu and later when McCarthy returns home.

* Feb. 22 - Sometime during the scouting combine Thompson calls Favre because he had heard reports that the quarterback was mad he hadn't called him. "I called him and he said, 'Well I don't know where you're getting that from, because that's not true.'" Thompson said he reassured Favre he was wanted back and told him McCarthy would be the one communicating with him most often.

* Feb. 25 - McCarthy calls Favre on trip back from combine and discusses how he might be able to lesson the quarterback's load and whether Favre can commit 100%.

* Feb. 29 - Favre calls McCarthy and tells him if he had to make a decision now, he would retire. McCarthy tells him to think about it over the weekend and both think Favre will play. "Mike talked to him about, ‘Well, what if we change (reduce) some reps or off-season things' and things like that and he was pretty sure that he wanted to retire."

* March 3 - Favre calls McCarthy at a function in Austin, Texas, and tells him he's retiring. McCarthy asked if he needed more time and he said no. Favre tells him he can't commit 100%. McCarthy flies back to Green Bay.

* March 4 - Thompson, McCarthy and public relations director Jeff Blumb are in Thompson's office and Blumb reaches Favre on his cell phone. "Jeff spoke for a few minutes and then I talked to Brett for I don't know, 20 minutes, 15 minutes, something like that. We got to the point where he wanted to go ahead and make the announcement here and then I think Jeff got back on the phone and then they worked it out that he would come up here and do the press conference."

* March 6 - Favre conducts retirement press conference.

* Week of March 24 - Offensive line coach James Campen, who is visiting Louisiana, stops in to see Favre at his Mississippi home and is asked by Favre whether he thinks the Packers would take him back. Campen reports the conversation to McCarthy and Thompson. McCarthy calls Favre and hears the same things Campen did.

* March 27 - Thompson and McCarthy decide they would be fine with Favre returning even though Aaron Rodgers is set to begin off-season workouts as the starter, and they inform Favre. "Mike said, ‘Ted and I talked and we said, fine.' But we'd like to come see you, and Brett was kind of excited that we were coming to see him." In preparation to leave for the owners meetings in West Palm Beach, March 30-April 3, they arrange to meet with Favre and wife, Deanna.

* March 29 - McCarthy makes plans to fly to Hattiesburg on April 1 to make plans for Favre's return. McCarthy is leaving for evening Mass when Favre calls to inform him he has changed his mind. "We were all set for them, but Brett called back and that he and Deanna had a long talk about it and they were going to stick with their original decision."

* May 6 - Thompson is down South and decides to pay a visit to Favre at his home. "I called him and said I am thinking about seeing you, I don't have any agenda or anything. So I did, I went and visited. Had lunch sat out on the veranda. We had a long talk and good talk. Nothing really came up other than like with any retired player, you could tell there were a few things that he would throw in there; 'there might be some doubts, I may change my mind,' or something like that. And that was that."

* June 8 - Campen goes to Favre's home and has a long talk with Favre and leaves feeling Favre wants to return.

* June 20 -- Favre calls McCarthy and the two have a 45-minute conversation in which Favre tells him he might want to play again. "There was more wondering, you know, what ifs." McCarthy and Thompson go on vacation for the July 4th weekend.

* July 4 - Thompson receives a text message from Favre and sends a message back at about 8 p.m. back telling him he's traveling and can they talk on Monday? "By Monday I hadn't heard back from him. I sent him back a text saying, ‘Haven't heard from ya, hope you're getting these messages, can we talk Tuesday at noon?' He got back to me and said 'OK,' that it would be better sooner, but I was kind of doing some other things so we set up a conference call."

* July 8 - Favre and his agent, James (Bus) Cook ask Thompson for Favre's release during the conference call. It's understood Favre won't be the starter in Green Bay. "There were, I think, conversations with Mike where both parties acknowledged that time had gone by and the Packers had been asked to move on, or move forward, or whatever. That's what they were thinking there (about asking for his release)."

* July 11 - Thompson receives a letter from Favre and Cook formally asking for Favre to be released.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great read.

I get the feeling that Bus Cook is pulling some strings here. I don't know but that's just the feeling I get.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if these are the instances that TT wouldn't release in earlier statements?

Or, are there more?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if these are the instances that TT wouldn't release in earlier statements?

Or, are there more?

I'm sure we don't know everything in every detail but I think this pretty much gives us everything we need to know and how one thing lead to another.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:

Or, are there more?

I'm sure we don't know everything in every detail but I think this pretty much gives us everything we need to know and how one thing lead to another.

Agreed.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what Brett was looking for. Was he looking to have them come and ask him to return once they heard for the second or third time he might want to play again? I feel for the guy and think he is going through a tough decision making process. I think he needs to get away from Cook and think on his own about what he really wants. The problem is that I think it's too late as far as the Packers are concerned. Too bad he couldn't have come out early on and just told everyone he was having a tough time figuring things out and hopes everyone would be patient with him for a while. We have waited in the past and I believe we would have done so again for the good of the team and for the good of Brett.

Unless something crazy happens I think we will part ways and it won't be good for anyone. Great! now I'm upset again.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize that this was a PRIVATE meeting with only TT MM and Tom Silverstein.

Journal Sentinel reporter Tom Silverstein was granted a private interview with Thompson and McCarthy at 1 p.m. He will file his report from the interview in this blog sometime later this afternoon.

I am going away now.

OP
OP
W

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't realize that this was a PRIVATE meeting with only TT MM and Tom Silverstein.

Journal Sentinel reporter Tom Silverstein was granted a private interview with Thompson and McCarthy at 1 p.m. He will file his report from the interview in this blog sometime later this afternoon.

I am going away now.

Do you not believe them?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome stuff thanks

Makes you wonder why the Packers are releasing all this stuff when normally they dont say jack about anything

Are they making this stuff up to save face,

or is this all true and they want to save face anyways?

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see this as something they didn't want to do. I kind of find it classy.

We will call one reporter, from a local paper, and tell him our side of story, even if it potentially hurts Brett.

What we didn't do is call Mort. I like that move.

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I REALLY REALLY wish this would end already.

One before everyone takes this to be 100% accurate and the whole story, the source is MM and TT. Obviously that is not the whole story and there is more to it.

But regardless, I'm getting sick of this. This is turning ugly because by MM and TT doing this, they are trying to tarnish's Favre's character in public to get public sympathy on their side. And Favre will no doubt do the same soon. Neither side is handling this well IMO. I really don't understand the point of this interview other than to put Favre's character into question and make it appear that he is the bad guy in all this and MM and TT are the good guys.

This is turning into a war and regardless of the result, it will be a dark spot in the Packers history. Who would have ever thunk it would have come to this. This is not going to end well. Thats why I don't get why don't just release or trade him ASAP instead of having this drag out. "Come back to the Packers". Are you kidding me. This is a terrible game plan IMO. Get this over with and move on instead of dragging it out and further tarnishing the Packers (I know most of you think the Packers are squeaky clean in this but not everyone on the outside is gonig to view it that way).

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dudes mom is getting hate calls. What do you want him to do. He kept quiet long enough, much longer than everyone else did.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're wrong redsox. If MM and TT said it, it must be true. They are management and would never leave out any significant details.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
You're wrong redsox. If MM and TT said it, it must be true. They are management and would never leave out any significant details.

Both sides are leaivng out details

so dont think that Bretts camp is ALWAYS honest

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is going to get real ugly. The Favre camp is going to get real vindictive. Farves local buddy reporter already called T.T. an egomaniac in the local paper down there.

Wait until the Packers cancel/for the time being.... the ceremonies for retiring Brett's jersey on the first Monday Night Game. It is going to get nasty.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I REALLY REALLY wish this would end already.

One before everyone takes this to be 100% accurate and the whole story, the source is MM and TT. Obviously that is not the whole story and there is more to it.

But regardless, I'm getting sick of this. This is turning ugly because by MM and TT doing this, they are trying to tarnish's Favre's character in public to get public sympathy on their side. And Favre will no doubt do the same soon. Neither side is handling this well IMO. I really don't understand the point of this interview other than to put Favre's character into question and make it appear that he is the bad guy in all this and MM and TT are the good guys.

This is turning into a war and regardless of the result, it will be a dark spot in the Packers history. Who would have ever thunk it would have come to this. This is not going to end well. Thats why I don't get why don't just release or trade him ASAP instead of having this drag out. "Come back to the Packers". Are you kidding me. This is a terrible game plan IMO. Get this over with and move on instead of dragging it out and further tarnishing the Packers (I know most of you think the Packers are squeaky clean in this but not everyone on the outside is gonig to view it that way).

I agree that neither side is handling it that great but you can't release him. You can't panic if you're the organization. When you panic, you tend to do something stupid like releasing Brett Favre so he can sign with Minnesota. The Packers made their move today. I think Favre will make his Sunday or Monday and by that, I mean he'll apply for reinstatement to the NFL.

Right now it's like a chess match.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The part that I find most interesting (and perhaps telling) is:

* Feb. 22 - Sometime during the scouting combine Thompson calls Favre because he had heard reports that the quarterback was mad he hadn't called him. "I called him and he said, 'Well I don't know where you're getting that from, because that's not true.'" Thompson said he reassured Favre he was wanted back and told him McCarthy would be the one communicating with him most often.

This makes me believe that maybe Favre has a propoganda machine down there. All of those stories about asking for a release after not signing Moss and then denying it perhaps were true. Why wouldn't Favre, when asked directly by Thompson whether he was "mad he hadn't called him" simply state, "Shucks Ted, I am a tad ruffled by that".

I now believe that Favre really doesn't like TT despite elaborating in his retirement conference words to the contrary and I think Bus Cook despises TT.

For the record, I endorse the plan for the Packers to wait for Favre's move now in requesting reinstatement. As a Packers fan, I do not want to give ANY advantage to an NFC North opponent. Does that mean that I think that Favre gives them a chance to beat the Pack out of a playoff spot? Absolutely, and so would trading Rodgers give them a similar chance.

Members online

Latest posts