1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Favre Timeline

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by wils0646, Jul 12, 2008.

1. wils0646

wils0646 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    An excellent post by Tom Silverstein of jsonline.com:

This is for the people that actually believe TT and MM pushed Favre out the door. The facts do not show that to be true.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/

2. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    March 27th and March 29th. Enough said. That clears the air for me completely.

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow this is very....interesting.

4. Krazygangsta

Krazygangsta Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Even July 4 ... like come on ... the guy messages you will talk Monday or Tuesday ... no answer and next thing u know I WANT A RELEASE

5. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great read.

I get the feeling that Bus Cook is pulling some strings here. I don't know but that's just the feeling I get.

6. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I wonder if these are the instances that TT wouldn't release in earlier statements?

Or, are there more?

7. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure we don't know everything in every detail but I think this pretty much gives us everything we need to know and how one thing lead to another.

8. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed.

9. DGB454

DGB454 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not really sure what Brett was looking for. Was he looking to have them come and ask him to return once they heard for the second or third time he might want to play again? I feel for the guy and think he is going through a tough decision making process. I think he needs to get away from Cook and think on his own about what he really wants. The problem is that I think it's too late as far as the Packers are concerned. Too bad he couldn't have come out early on and just told everyone he was having a tough time figuring things out and hopes everyone would be patient with him for a while. We have waited in the past and I believe we would have done so again for the good of the team and for the good of Brett.

Unless something crazy happens I think we will part ways and it won't be good for anyone. Great! now I'm upset again.

10. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I didn't realize that this was a PRIVATE meeting with only TT MM and Tom Silverstein.

Journal Sentinel reporter Tom Silverstein was granted a private interview with Thompson and McCarthy at 1 p.m. He will file his report from the interview in this blog sometime later this afternoon.

I am going away now.

11. wils0646

wils0646 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Do you not believe them?

12. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    No, I believe them more.

13. wils0646

wils0646 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Right. That's what I thought. I was a little confused.

14. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Awesome stuff thanks

Makes you wonder why the Packers are releasing all this stuff when normally they dont say jack about anything

Are they making this stuff up to save face,

or is this all true and they want to save face anyways?

15. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I see this as something they didn't want to do. I kind of find it classy.

We will call one reporter, from a local paper, and tell him our side of story, even if it potentially hurts Brett.

What we didn't do is call Mort. I like that move.

16. RedSoxExcel

RedSoxExcel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I REALLY REALLY wish this would end already.

One before everyone takes this to be 100% accurate and the whole story, the source is MM and TT. Obviously that is not the whole story and there is more to it.

But regardless, I'm getting sick of this. This is turning ugly because by MM and TT doing this, they are trying to tarnish's Favre's character in public to get public sympathy on their side. And Favre will no doubt do the same soon. Neither side is handling this well IMO. I really don't understand the point of this interview other than to put Favre's character into question and make it appear that he is the bad guy in all this and MM and TT are the good guys.

This is turning into a war and regardless of the result, it will be a dark spot in the Packers history. Who would have ever thunk it would have come to this. This is not going to end well. Thats why I don't get why don't just release or trade him ASAP instead of having this drag out. "Come back to the Packers". Are you kidding me. This is a terrible game plan IMO. Get this over with and move on instead of dragging it out and further tarnishing the Packers (I know most of you think the Packers are squeaky clean in this but not everyone on the outside is gonig to view it that way).

17. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I would say TT and MM were defending themselves. Favre tarnished his own legacy previously.

18. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Dudes mom is getting hate calls. What do you want him to do. He kept quiet long enough, much longer than everyone else did.

19. de_real_deal

de_real_deal Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You're wrong redsox. If MM and TT said it, it must be true. They are management and would never leave out any significant details.

20. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Both sides are leaivng out details

so dont think that Bretts camp is ALWAYS honest

21. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Interesting, wils0646 ... interesting.

22. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    This is going to get real ugly. The Favre camp is going to get real vindictive. Farves local buddy reporter already called T.T. an egomaniac in the local paper down there.

Wait until the Packers cancel/for the time being.... the ceremonies for retiring Brett's jersey on the first Monday Night Game. It is going to get nasty.

23. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I have no reason not to believe Ted unless Brett comes out and refutes this.

24. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that neither side is handling it that great but you can't release him. You can't panic if you're the organization. When you panic, you tend to do something stupid like releasing Brett Favre so he can sign with Minnesota. The Packers made their move today. I think Favre will make his Sunday or Monday and by that, I mean he'll apply for reinstatement to the NFL.

Right now it's like a chess match.

25. PackFaninBucLand

PackFaninBucLand Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The part that I find most interesting (and perhaps telling) is:

* Feb. 22 - Sometime during the scouting combine Thompson calls Favre because he had heard reports that the quarterback was mad he hadn't called him. "I called him and he said, 'Well I don't know where you're getting that from, because that's not true.'" Thompson said he reassured Favre he was wanted back and told him McCarthy would be the one communicating with him most often.

This makes me believe that maybe Favre has a propoganda machine down there. All of those stories about asking for a release after not signing Moss and then denying it perhaps were true. Why wouldn't Favre, when asked directly by Thompson whether he was "mad he hadn't called him" simply state, "Shucks Ted, I am a tad ruffled by that".

I now believe that Favre really doesn't like TT despite elaborating in his retirement conference words to the contrary and I think Bus Cook despises TT.

For the record, I endorse the plan for the Packers to wait for Favre's move now in requesting reinstatement. As a Packers fan, I do not want to give ANY advantage to an NFC North opponent. Does that mean that I think that Favre gives them a chance to beat the Pack out of a playoff spot? Absolutely, and so would trading Rodgers give them a similar chance.