The Falcons Game

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most effective argument for Vick when it comes to Sunday's game is he alters the defensive game plan and forces the defense to prepare differently and react to his "mobility".

The traditional approach is the "spy" linebacker. That is not effective if the "spy" gets faked and misses a tackle. Therefore the a containment type of scheme has to be employed. It requires good CB's in man to man coverage. This will be a rare form of defense for the Packers. I would assume that the Falcon's divisional opponents are more effective at it having practiced it more. A TE can help but Crumpler is averaging only 1 catch per quarter.

When Falcons are on Offense:

Yards/Game 14th..........Packer Defense 9th
Yards/Play 13th (T).......Packer Defense 12th
Passing 28th................Packer Defense 12th
Rushing 1st..................Packer Defense 13th

It would appear that it favors the team with the lead.

When the Packers are on Offense:

Yards/Game 17th..........Falcons Defense 22nd
Yards/Play 13th (T).......Falcons Defense 18th
Passing 5th..................Falcons Defense 17th
Rushing 30th................Falcons Defense 18th

Packers will be more prone to pass which is riskier and possible lower time of possesion. The Falcons may have trouble protecting a lead.

The Packers average 21 points a game and allow 20.
The Falcons average 24 points a game and allow 18.

The Falcons have 24 more points scored than the Packers.
The Falcons have allowed 19 more points than the Packers.

It looks like it will be a close game. Nothing new to Packer fans who know their average loss is by 5.7 points. The difference will be some intangible or a kick, or a turnover. The Packers really need an early lead for a victory.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate watching my team play against running quarterbacks. It makes for a very frustrating afternoon of TV viewing. If the CB's play mostly man-to-man, that's probably a good thing, because the Falcon WR's are not great, and Al Harris does very well covering man-to-man. If Carroll steps up, the coverage should be good.

It will be interesting to see if the new, speedier defense is better able to handle Vick than the Packer defense of January 2003. I think they will do a decent job. What this defense really needs to raise their play to the next level are some turnovers.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
The most effective argument for Vick when it comes to Sunday's game is he alters the defensive game plan and forces the defense to prepare differently and react to his "mobility".

The traditional approach is the "spy" linebacker. That is not effective if the "spy" gets faked and misses a tackle. Therefore the a containment type of scheme has to be employed. It requires good CB's in man to man coverage. This will be a rare form of defense for the Packers. I would assume that the Falcon's divisional opponents are more effective at it having practiced it more. A TE can help but Crumpler is averaging only 1 catch per quarter.

Packers will be more prone to pass which is riskier and possible lower time of possesion. The Falcons may have trouble protecting a lead.

It looks like it will be a close game. Nothing new to Packer fans who know their average loss is by 5.7 points. The difference will be some intangible or a kick, or a turnover. The Packers really need an early lead for a victory.

This may be a tight game either way it goes.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMHO, the key to this game is keeping the Atlanta offense off the field. Another week of work for our no-name backfield should help. The Falcons run defense is suspect, we need Gado, Lee and Williams to pound the line, our offensive line needs to make some room for the running backs.

The Pack has become a very young offensive team in a hurry, the mistakes being made are young player mistakes, hopefully with each week the mistakes will diminish.

What I have said is nothing new but we haven't delt with this type of situation in a long, long time.

This team needs a win in the worste way, hopefully Atlanta won't be on their a-game and The Pack can steal one in Atlanta.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milwaukee SJ reports that Wells will start instead of Klemm. It sure has taken awhile to realize Klemm is a backup Tackle and not a starting Guard.

He will be going against Rod Coleman most of the time. I hope he does well and stays in the line up. Wells is a better run blocker.

Klemm performed better when at OT and can be Clifton's high priced backup until a better solution is found.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the key to winning this game is to stop the running game and make Vick throw the ball.
He is not very good throwing and his receivers are not very good.
I think if we can make him put the ball in the air we should be able to create more turnovers than usual.
Go Pack Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey Williams is out for the game. Fisher doubtful. Ferguson questionable.
Without Corey Williams the D-line is not as good. It does possibly give Montgomery a chance to play.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah - we saw Corey get hurt - frustrating to see him attempt to walk off the field and not quite make it. Still, he found out he was appreciated.

I want to see how well Nick Collins steps up in this game.
He's the intangible here and certainly due for a couple of real INTs....

Falcon_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GL guys & hope to see GB fans in Dome.

We have no 1 rushing attack in NFL . We will see how GB will stop us.

Brooks87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
I think the key to winning this game is to stop the running game and make Vick throw the ball.
I think if we can make him put the ball in the air we should be able to create more turnovers than usual.

Couldnt agree more..I'd rather have Vick try to beat us with his passing game then running all over the place.Hopefully we'll get some takeaways.. :)

Falcon_fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brooks87 said:
yooperfan said:

Couldnt agree more..I'd rather have Vick try to beat us with his passing game then running all over the place.Hopefully we'll get some takeaways.. :)

VICK will beat you either way. He beat MIA by his arm.....He may beat GB by running. :lol:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcon_fan said:
Brooks87 said:
yooperfan said:

VICK will beat you either way. He beat MIA by his arm.....He may beat GB by running. :lol:

MIA doesn't have our new Defense, either...
I would gander that our D gets a piece of Ron Mexico this weekend.
He could end up on the IR list... especially if Grady Jackson gets in there....

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s have a good game Sunday, let’s not hope any injury to anyone...

Play good, play safe, play in an honest way so the best team on the field wins!!!

StoneandRobert

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pack is on the decline and brett favarow just chunks the ball anywhere.
Falcons win in a blowout 41-10. :mossfro:

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wont be that easy Stone, not at all,,, dont bet on it..

I see that my post was wrong so:

Let’s have a good game Sunday, let’s not hope any injury to anyone...

Play good, play safe, play in an honest way so the best team on the field wins!!!

So lets hope the Pack kick the $hit out of Vick and the little birds from Aclanta...

SoCalFalconFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there is a lot of respect flying around the Falcon's locker room for Brett Favre, there is absolutely no fear of the Packers. With a 1-7 record the pressure is all on Green Bay to show the world that they are anything but a team in transition. I've always liked Brett Favre, and I'm not here to talk smack, per say. I just believe that the Falcons are the better football team. The Packer's D is improved, but they haven't faced an offense that can spread the field like Atlanta's yet.
Of course, I'm a Falcon's fan, but I hope for a competetive game.

BTW... KGB said some things that I thought were inappropriate in his interview with the ATL media. And I've heard some of the Falcons' players took offense to them. You don't paint a bullseye on the opposing QB without regard to injury or sportsmanship. You can bet the Falcon's O line will be counter-targeting KGB with a plethera of cut blocks all game long.

SoCal

SoCalFalconFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

Very informed post. Nice read.

SoCal

Red_and_Black112

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing but respect for Brett Favre and the Packers but this game is in favor of the Falcons. The Birds are at home in the "thunderdome" , Brett is reeling and has no one to throw at and the general morale I have seen in the past weeks of this Packer team look low. That being said, at the beginning of the year I was looking forward to this game the most out of all the games played out of our division. It is a shame that the Packers have flopped out to the 1-7 start.......Hopefully this game will be a good one with no injuries. 8)

Jluk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Packers fans are awesome. Very loyal bunch who love football.

I am glad I am not facing Packers with Green, Davenport and Walker. Favre himself is dangerous as it is.

This game will be close if the OL is protecting Favre. I do know that Favre isnt that great in the dome. The key to Packers sucess will be 3rd down conversion and 1 or 2 turnovers. Our success will be making Packers abandon the running game which would mean we are already having an early lead or our defense is clogging the LOS and stuffing the run. I did watch Gado play the other day, he doesnt have alot of speed but can break tackles and pushes for extra yardage. The key to our success is establishing the running game, run up the clock and tire out the defense which we do quiet well.

Pudge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jim Mora coaches "Mora Ball" which is just Marty Ball with Vick. Run the ball, and let the defense win the game for you at the end. It's why the Falcons rarely blow out opponents. I'd be surprised if the Falcons won by more than a touchdown, although we are clearly the much stronger team. We should win this one by 20 points, but it's probably not going to happen. More because of our offensive inconsistencies than anything the Packers will throw at us.

daredevil25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcons aren't a team that blows people out. In Mora's two season our largest margin of victory was 30 points over the Rams in the playoffs, and during the regular season, 25 points over the Raiders. Our style is to explode into a lead and hold on.

Latest posts