The end of life on Earth

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay loses to Detroit. The Earth has rotated off its axis, the sun no longer shines. We are all doomed.

What I've noticed since the advent of the Internet and Fantasy Football is how the fans all seem to have lost a good deal of reality about professional football.

Remember the phrase "any given Sunday"? What happened Sunday is "any given Sunday". It's what makes the NFL more interesting than basketball or baseball. I can predict the Lakers, San Antonio and Miami will be contenders. In baseball, the Yankees, Phillies, Boston, San Francisco will be contenders. In the NFL, it's hard to predict how things are going to shake out and that's what makes it interesting.
So, inevitably when the Packers lose, there's a mad rush of posters to call for complete change because the Packers have a bad game. Without the perspective of long stretches of winning and losing and winning again, I too, might think like that. But the fact is Green Bay has a good football team. Detroit is an improving football team. They came within a whisker of beating the Bears twice, and the Bears lead the division.
I seriously doubt the Packers have the horses to win much more this year. By my count, 7 starters are missing on defense and about half that many on offense. Injuries are no excuse, but eventually not having players like Finley, Grant, etc. start to wear you down.
I know there's always time to second-guess the coach. He did make two blunders against Detroit that I question. But my goodness, why is it that 90 percent good work is constantly thrown out when the coach makes a blunder?
The Packers are not a lousy team. We could be supporting the Panthers, or the Cowboys, two teams with lots of talent, but very few wins. Since 1992 Green Bay has always been among the winningest team in the NFL. Yet after each loss out of the woodwork come the folks who think a Super Bowl coach and GM are waiting the Lambeau Field parking lot for TT/MM to get fired. Denver is a great example. They had a superior coach, then fired him and hired the next big young coach, only to now be paying both of them and looking for a third coach. That's worked out well, no?
The Patriots kept Bellichick after a couple of down years. Looks like that turned out ok, no?
Change will happen, but it could be for the worse.
I'm content to wipe out this season. The Packers likely will lose the next three games. I would say give the management one more season(assuming there's football next year) and then we can start all the FIRE EVERYBODY crap again.

But it really has gotten tiring. Firing everyone not going to happen, so why even discuss it?
If you persist in asking for the coaches and GM's head, then lay out a viable plan who the replacement are and how they will be better.
BTW, Jon Gruden said publically last week he's not going to coach anywhere next year.
So if you must persist, lets see your plan. And then after you fire all the players who had a bad game, find replacements and see how that works under the salary cap.

I'm glad we have a competitive team in pro sports smallest city. It didn't work out this year. There's always next year.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would get rid of Philbin and Campen and replace them with Jeff Jagodzinski. I would have done it a couple of years ago, but it's never too late. I like McCarthy, but he's got to do this.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would get rid of Philbin and Campen and replace them with Jeff Jagodzinski. I would have done it a couple of years ago, but it's never too late. I like McCarthy, but he's got to do this.
Really? Go to NFL.com and look at the Packers offensive stats. The coaches seem to be ok. I'm not sure about some of the linemen. They seemed geared for a passing attack, but can't seem to handle big, fast linemen.
By the way, Jags is considered a bit of a head case, thus he's not a head coach.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? Go to NFL.com and look at the Packers offensive stats. The coaches seem to be ok. I'm not sure about some of the linemen. They seemed geared for a passing attack, but can't seem to handle big, fast linemen.
By the way, Jags is considered a bit of a head case, thus he's not a head coach.
You look at stats to determine if a coach is doing a good job? If the playcalling is right?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is McCarthy calls the plays, not Philbin. If I were MM, I would step back and let the offensive coordinator make the play calls, rather than the head coach.

I would also replace our O-Line coach. I'm tired of that being a weak spot on our team.

Oh, and get rid of Slocum too. Special teams has been pathetic most of this season and all of the previous two seasons.

FiercePierce6

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will win 2 of the last three. And win the division. Just because we lost to the Lions doesn't mean we are going to lose out. There is absolutely no way we lose out. No way. Bears have a better possibility of losing out than we do. The winner of the division will be 10-6, the Green Bay Packers.

Oh and to say the Panthers have talent but no wins...they have maybe 4 players worth mentioning. Beason, Smith, Williams, Stewart.

Oh another thing, don't forget we didn't have our starting QB for half the game. Sure he wasn't playing well but anybody that has watched the Packers this season knows he torches it in the second half.

Don't lose faith brothers and sisters.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What do the stats say about our running game? The passing game success has a lot to do with Rogers' ability to run, don't you think? Jago may well be a head case, but he knows the ZBS and can teach it to linemen.

I never said I wanted him as head coach. I'd like to see him coaching the offensive line and turning every lineman into head cases that no one wants to line up against.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh another thing, don't forget we didn't have our starting QB for half the game. Sure he wasn't playing well but anybody that has watched the Packers this season knows he torches it in the second half.

Don't lose faith brothers and sisters.

don't forget that the Lions didn't have the #1 or #2 QB in the game either:detsux:

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM's play calling seems to be moronic at times. Especially since he looks lost since Grant was hurt. I mean, heck, even a high school coach knows that if the blitz is getting to you the fastest way to shut it down is with a screen. (which the Packers and BJ are GODS at)..... how many screens did we do all game? ONE in the fourth quarter for a FOURTEEN yard gain! on third and one he decides to bring Kuhn in at running back... kuhn hadn't lined up at HB ALL GAME! You line Kuhn up on third and 1 and they KNOW what you're doing. Play gets botched up anyway, but still. And this rotating halfbacks thing? He even said in pregame conference that he was going to switch up running backs. Fine, give each a series or two and see what happens, but what does he do? Switches them nearly every play! MORON! Half backs are kind of like qb's in the sense that they need to find a rhythm. You can't find a rhythm when in on one play. Plus, he wants to find out who to start? hmmmmm starts 17 carries for 78 yards or something like that.... I think that's a good person to try out for the start. Another problem was when we were backed near the endzone in the fourth quarter we needed like 2 yards for the first and as soon as the play starts, all but one of the WR's are running at least 8 yard outs or streaks. The halfback stayed in to block.... thus only ONE option for a first down in the one WR that wasn't running a long pattern. Then the "go for it" on our last play on offense? COME ON!!! I'm not questioning MM as a coach in general, but his play calling especially this season has been ridiculous!

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling may be part of the problem, but the team simply wasn't ready to play imo. Especially the offensive line. That's coaching. I think MM can turn it around, as he has in the past.

We still need a coach who can get consistent, tough play out of the o-line.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Play calling may be part of the problem, but the team simply wasn't ready to play imo. Especially the offensive line. That's coaching. I think MM can turn it around, as he has in the past.

We still need a coach who can get consistent, tough play out of the o-line.

Aaron Nagler over at Cheesehead TV said very much the same thing. For example, looking at Clay's sack, he said he looked more like someone who just expected to roll over the Lions, as opposed to someone who was going to put up a fight.

Jennings was flippant about the pass he dropped, resulting in the pick. He didn't even go after the DB. It's possible he didn't see it get picked, but still, need to see the ball to the ground.

That comes from coaching. You cannot take ANY game lightly in the NFL. You just can't. I don't care if your opponent has 0 wins or is un-defeated, you simply cannot take anyone lightly.

That goes for fans too. Enough of this "This is gonna be an easy win" ********. We lost to a team we should have beaten. Last season we lost to Tampa Bay and a rookie QB getting his first start, another team we should have beaten. Stop underestimating your opponents, man up and play some f**king ball.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Aaron Nagler over at Cheesehead TV said very much the same thing. For example, looking at Clay's sack, he said he looked more like someone who just expected to roll over the Lions, as opposed to someone who was going to put up a fight.

Jennings was flippant about the pass he dropped, resulting in the pick. He didn't even go after the DB. It's possible he didn't see it get picked, but still, need to see the ball to the ground.

That comes from coaching. You cannot take ANY game lightly in the NFL. You just can't. I don't care if your opponent has 0 wins or is un-defeated, you simply cannot take anyone lightly.

That goes for fans too. Enough of this "This is gonna be an easy win" ********. We lost to a team we should have beaten. Last season we lost to Tampa Bay and a rookie QB getting his first start, another team we should have beaten. Stop underestimating your opponents, man up and play some f**king ball.

I don't know that we can say we underestimated them, unless it can be proven that we didn't practice thoroughly enough. We have no idea how much tape the team watched, how many drills they ran, how the locker room talks went, etc.

What we do know, is that the team played like **** for who knows what reason. If this becomes a trend, losing to garbage teams each year for seemingly no reason (the Lions didn't play particularly well), it's time for a change.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will win 2 of the last three. And win the division. Just because we lost to the Lions doesn't mean we are going to lose out. There is absolutely no way we lose out. No way. Bears have a better possibility of losing out than we do. The winner of the division will be 10-6, the Green Bay Packers.

Bet you didn't expect them to lose to the Lions either, Mr. Prophet :detsux:

Unless you're certain that the Bears are going to lose to that Vikings team, 10-6 probably isn't cutting it for GB.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense looked pretty average on the Lions' 80 yard TD drive.

But you shouldn't lose to anyone if your opponent scores 7. How do you think our offense would look behind the Falcons' or Pats' lines??

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense looked pretty average on the Lions' 80 yard TD drive.

But you shouldn't lose to anyone if your opponent scores 7. How do you think our offense would look behind the Falcons' or Pats' lines??

50 TDs for Rodgers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Geez, this Aaron Nagler guy must be a genius!:derisive:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts