1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Drew: Memorial Day THANKS to all you soldiers

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by FrankRizzo, May 24, 2013.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Worth 5 minutes of your time here>
    To the Drew & all our service-members, past & present.

I believe far too many Americans, especially the younger generation, totally take their freedoms for granted. They also are the ones who complain and bitch about little things most.

Even though I have 2 young boys who I would hate to see sent to those hell-holes in Arab land, I believe there should be some kind of a draft brought back so everyone with kids stands to share in the same sacrifices, emotions, as everyone else who has family in the military.

Too many nowadays basically just brush past the sacrifices our men (and women) are making.

In any event, this is Memorial Day weekend, and time to think about, honor, and say thank you to all the brave American service members, whichever branch, who have or continue to defend our freedoms.

2. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,406
    It is really no biggy. I just can't wait to be stationed in the states again.

3. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,870
    Thanks Wood, for your service.
    Disagree here. There should never be a draft again. We are a volunteer basis and we have to turn down people from service all the time. Why? It is an amazing opportunity for some. Not sure about the Drew or Wood, but some of the kids I know right now in service are seeking self improvement and adventure. They are going to do a 4 year tour and then go to college, which will be paid for by the GI bill. I nearly went this route, had it not been for a lucky scholarship I received. Yep, your life is on the line, but it isn't nearly as risky as you would think. About 600 die each year, and there are 1.4M in the military. I read a while back, but i can't seem to find now, that more of those military deaths are car accidents/suicide/murder/etc than combat deaths. Compare this to college death rates: 1,800 from drinking out of about 10M, and suicide claims aroung as many lives.

So why force kids to be there when they don't want to? And have a bunch of kids angry that they did not get the opportunity?

Makes no sense to me.

4. Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper Fantasy Football Guru

Ratings:
    +1,406
    Agree that there is no need for a draft. We kick people out all the time and some people just are not cut out for the military. Now I do understand the view that everyone should serve because it would straighten kids out, however these problem kids are typically the ones getting kicked out or trying to get out early.

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    bring back the draft. We would have alot less wars and invasions that way.

6. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    That's what I am saying.
    Plus the rich & wealthy in this country, and there are plenty of them, their families don't care about our soldiers, they're dis-connected.

I like the way Israel does it. THEY HAVE UNITY in that country.
    We have a country very much divided, and this is one part of it.

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    I think politicians are extremely disconnected from the military and don't give it much thought. This isn't one side. How else do you explain how underfunded and terribly run the VA is?

Everyone serves everyone has a vested interest. 2 years of discipline would do wonders in some sort of service. Doesn't have to be military, give the option of working with the peace corp or habitat for humanity or whatever.

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    I agree and disagree.
    I agree that they are extremely disconnected, and don't give it much thought or care... most of them..... but until and except for courting the public vote on the matter, using them and their good deeds.

Memorial Day should be a bigger holiday in the USA in my opinion.

9. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    Oh they exploit the **** out of them. It's disgusting. McCain and Kerry get passes.

10. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    In case anyone else is like me, and in the mood to pay tribute and cherish all these men & women, here are a few great, chilling, touching tributes to our brave soldiers.

These might make you cry. My eyes aren't dry now......

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Yes they do.
    They are the ones who know WAR IS HELL, and better to be avoided, because they've been there.

But if you have to fight, it's best to do it right, and win as fast as possible to get our boys back, out of harm's way, and safe.

Today, sadly, it's not a physical county who is hitting us, bombing us, blowing us up, any time any where. It's a cult.
    That's a much harder war to win, much less fast.

12. Darth Garfunkel

Darth Garfunkel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +495
    Thanks to all of our active and former service members on this memorial day weekend!

13. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +392
    I appreciate all u guys & gals do for us. That being said come football season WC your going down,again

14. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    I spent nearly 11 years in the military, It gave me structure when I had none and was the reason I have a decent job now. I was fortunate in that we were not involved in any major conflicts in the years I was in. Then came Reagan and the Bushes.

My son looking for the excitement and adventure the military sell's kids (I was one of them) enlisted in the Army Reserve, which really hasn't been a reserve for the last 10 years. He went to jump school, got to partake in D day celebrations with a jump into England from a German Air Force plane and a Jump into St. Mere Glise from an RAF plane. That's where the fun ended. He was sent to Iraq and with less than 30 days left in his tour his squad was attacked by a suicide bomber. He did not die but the injuries he sustained have forever changed his life. He is in constant pain from the shrapnel that he is riddled with, to the point of considering having his legs amputated. His cognitive functions have been severely impacted. He will spend the rest of his life on disability because he can no longer function in our world. The care he is receiving is a disgrace.

The point of my rambling is that we forget that the dead are not the only ones who lose their lives in War. We also forget the 10's of thousands of innocents that die in war. Or the generations who suffer from the weapons of war, such as the children of Hiroshima, Vietnam and now Fallujah.

We entice young men and women with glitzy commercials of adventure and heroism. We glamorize war in our entertainment. We say it is a way to help pay for an education because we have a dysfunctional educational system that favors the well to do and punishes those who do not have the funds to afford college. We then send these brave young men and women into harms way and they do their duty as they have sworn, for their country, even if the reasons that their country has sent them to battle are frivolous.

I wish memorial day was more about remembering all those who gave so much or were the victims of war and why war should be a means of last resort, more than a good reason to go to the river and have a Bar-B-Que.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    realcali, I'm so sorry for the horrific injuries your son suffered, and will forever suffer with.
    There are so many who have lost limbs, especially legs, from those damn IED's they plant all over the place.

Also, many surviving soldiers come back and struggle mentally.... more do than don't I think.

I agree with you about the commercials, the marketing, of glitz.
    And also for the $$$ for college.

We have Mr & Mrs Drew in here who can speak to all this.

I just think, as I said in the OP, that Memorial Day should be a much bigger holiday, more serious.... honor the former and current warriors.

16. Vltrophy

Vltrophy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +392
    It's all about the money these days sad to say