The Draft

Reaction score
Yes you like him. You like that he was drafted late and started. I guess you liked that we sent Tretter walking and kept Linsley. Linsley is overrated imo. Not worth $8M imo. Would like to get the center from Michigan and then have some money by letting Linsley go. But I really just want to get better. Seems like a whole lot of strong teams have gotten stronger this off season. So we have to have a good draft. Whoever we get, just don't miss. Lets get some players! Don't want to take fliers.
Actually I've recommended replacing or trading Linsley in other threads (before we walked Bulaga because it gets a little risky losing both) We could draft another Center but I wouldn't do that before #62 at the earliest and this year we could use a 3rd rounder in some capacity to land a presumed starter and get some competition going there. If we want to go OL by using #30 I'd much prefer we draft at OT and moving up or down the board if necessary.
This is the year we should equip Rodgers with a WR. That's just my opinion obviously, but #30 could be used in a trade deal (forward or backward) to land a pretty exciting prospect. It'll be very sad one day if we never make an attempt to equip Aaron with some young, premium talent at Receiver during our final run with #12. Id get one in the first 2 rounds this year and another through a trade or early 2021 draft or FA

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Grades man. Grades. Talent level is high across the board. There are more players with higher grades so you can get a player graded in the 4th round this year as a similarly graded player in the 2nd round in other years.

You have to look at quality of each player on an individual basis.
So what you’re saying is that in theory this should be one of the top 2-3 draft classes in a decade?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what you’re saying is that in theory this should be one of the top 2-3 draft classes in a decade?
I think so. I thought the year of Jaire Alexander had a lot of top end talent with 20ish impact players whereas a typical year has 10 - 12. There may be again 20ish impact players this season plus more middle range talent. And I think this draft has more elite HOF studs.

This could be the best year ever for WRs and the best in a long time for OTs. We are a light on top end for DL, edge, and CBs but Brown is the best DL to come out in a while, Okudah is best CB in a bit and Young is up there as well (could say the same if not for Bosa last year).

Last edited:
OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking last night. Yes, I know I am leaving myself wide open with leading with that comment. Anyway, Arod did have more than his normal share of errant throws last year imho. He is getting long in the tooth. To me, he is not nearly as agile as in the past. Has been hurt a couple times in the last couple years.If a QB they like a lot is there in the first; there is a possibility. Not at all saying that Aaron is not the man. He is. But...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was thinking last night. Yes, I know I am leaving myself wide open with leading with that comment. Anyway, Arod did have more than his normal share of errant throws last year imho. He is getting long in the tooth. To me, he is not nearly as agile as in the past. Has been hurt a couple times in the last couple years.If a QB they like a lot is there in the first; there is a possibility. Not at all saying that Aaron is not the man. He is. But...

Rodgers was also playing in a new offense for the first time since 2005.

Rodgers' contract makes it basically impossible to move on for two more seasons. And even in season three, it would be pretty painful (17.2M in dead money).

The benefit of a rookie QB is having a starter on a rookie contract. When your QB is good, but is making 6M/season because he's on a rookie deal, you have a massive competitive advantage over teams with 2nd/3rd contracts.

To draft a QB high this year, when you can't benefit from having a QB on a rookie deal until 2023, would be the height of organizational incompetence. You would be wasting nearly all of the years of competitive advantage that the contract gives you.

If Rodgers doesn't excel in year two in the offense, then maybe it's a different discussion. But for right now, the only type of QB they should be looking at is a mid to late rounder to compete with Boyle for the backup gig.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was also playing in a new offense for the first time since 2005.

Rodgers' contract makes it basically impossible to move on for two more seasons. And even in season three, it would be pretty painful (17.2M in dead money).

The benefit of a rookie QB is having a starter on a rookie contract. When your QB is good, but is making 6M/season because he's on a rookie deal, you have a massive competitive advantage over teams with 2nd/3rd contracts.

To draft a QB high this year, when you can't benefit from having a QB on a rookie deal until 2023, would be the height of organizational incompetence. You would be wasting nearly all of the years of competitive advantage that the contract gives you.

If Rodgers doesn't excel in year two in the offense, then maybe it's a different discussion. But for right now, the only type of QB they should be looking at is a mid to late rounder to compete with Boyle for the backup gig.

Actually, the height of incompetence is to let a what you think is a really good QB go by you because you somehow think he will magically just appear at the moment you really need him. Favre was really angry when we drafted Rodgers but it was the right thing to do obviously even though he sat on the bench. Again, I am not saying to do it but you saying that would be incompetent because of salary implications is idiotic.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually, the height of incompetence is to let a what you think is a really good QB go by you because you somehow think he will magically just appear at the moment you really need him. Favre was really angry when we drafted Rodgers but it was the right thing to do obviously even though he sat on the bench. Again, I am not saying to do it but you saying that would be incompetent because of salary implications is idiotic.

I don't believe that the scenario of a guy who is truly a "really good QB," i.e. too good to pass on, being there at #30 overall is realistic. Rodgers, a guy who could have gone #1, falling just to #23 was a highly unlikely, unusual situation in itself. For that to happen again, only falling even further is almost certainly not going to happen.

And I am not saying you wait for one to magically appear the moment you really need him. I am saying that you at least wait to start taking shots until Rodgers is close enough to the end of his deal (e.g. next offseason) that you actually give yourself an opportunity to get some value out of the rookie contract.

And I do stand by the statement that it would be incompetent. Aside from Brady and the Pats, most recent SB champs have been teams with strong rosters built around quarterbacks on rookie contracts. When you have a starting QB making less than 10M, the competitive advantage is huge. If the Packers drafted a QB this year, they would literally waste three years of that opportunity.

I'm fine with taking a QB before Rodgers is done. Having a guy sit one year could be ideal. Having him sit two would be ok. Having him sit for three years (or playing his 3rd year but not seeing the cap help from that because of Rodgers' dead money) would be a stupid idea, imo.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably, no unequivocally, Rodgers getting picked and becoming a hall of famer was amazing. He wasn't the first nor will he be the last. btw...he sat on the bench for 3 years. I guess Ted saw the writing on the wall for Favre. At the same time, when Favre left, he still had a couple of very good years left in him. But Ted evidently also saw something in Rodgers. It is not impossible nor would it be incompetent if it happened again. Just very unlikely. You can not base picking a QB on the good fortune of him being on a rookie contract. Especially when everyone can see that a change is a comin.

Members online

Latest posts