The Draft

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming pretty soon. I don't think we should draft a TE. First off, we should not draft one in the 1st two rounds and then later, anyone would be a lower draft pick than the one we already have. Which just does not make sense.
2nd I would love to get another interior lineman. Maybe the center from Wisconsin. And then let Linsley go. Then we could sign a vet where needed. Probably would need to use the 1st on that pick:eek:. So actually, we might be able to trade down for that as there may be 3 good centers. If there was one scout that was really behind the Jenkins pick; I would listen to him.
We would still need an OT, a DT, a W/O and an ILB/CB. At least that's the way I see it. Lot of variables and I am going to Trust in Gute.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could definitely see drafting a IOL I don't know about cutting Linsley though and I definitely don't want us to take a center or guard in the first.

I don't think we should draft a TE in the first 5 rounds but after that there is one TE I really like Stephen Sullivan out of LSU.
He's got nothing as far as stats but his wingspan and hand sizes are absurd.
His 40 time, vertical and broad jump were also really good.
Once you've reached the 6th or 7th round I'd have no problem taking Sullivan just off of his potential alone.

Last edited:

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
Coming pretty soon. I don't think we should draft a TE. First off, we should not draft one in the 1st two rounds and then later, anyone would be a lower draft pick than the one we already have. Which just does not make sense.
2nd I would love to get another interior lineman. Maybe the center from Wisconsin. And then let Linsley go. Then we could sign a vet where needed. Probably would need to use the 1st on that pick:eek:. So actually, we might be able to trade down for that as there may be 3 good centers. If there was one scout that was really behind the Jenkins pick; I would listen to him.
We would still need an OT, a DT, a W/O and an ILB/CB. At least that's the way I see it. Lot of variables and I am going to Trust in Gute.
I agree I think we go IoL in round 3. If we dont take tackle in round 1 if we take that route wont see another Ol untill round 4. I like swift in rnd 1 the Wr out of penn state in rnd 2 or pittmann out of USC. If Malik out of OSU is there in late 2nd early 3rd we will either take him 2nd pick or trade up in 3rd

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My reasoning for going for the iol is that where we pick, we can get the best of the crop...like Jenkins. Then let Linsley and his $8M go and put the new guy at center or Jenkins at center. I doubt there will be an inside linebacker where we are and the Badger linebacker sounds like maybe he is more of a pass rusher. The first 3 picks are so important. If we trade down in the first then maybe we could trade up in the 3rd. And after the 1st pick the best player available at the position we need kicks in. Another home run on the inside line could really make the run game go.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think OT is more critical than iOL at this point. Lane Taylor is still on the roster. Unless he is cut or traded by Week 1, there is some depth in the interior with Jenkins, Taylor, Lindsley, Turner, Cole Madison and Lucas Patrick (Lindsey and Taylor are slated to be 2021 FAs). OT there is only David Bakhitari, Ricky Wagner and Alex Light (all 3 of which are slated to be 2021 free agents).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OT is more critical than iOL at this point. Lane Taylor is still on the roster. Unless he is cut or traded by Week 1, there is some depth in the interior with Jenkins, Taylor, Lindsley, Turner, Cole Madison and Lucas Patrick (Lindsey and Taylor are slated to be 2021 FAs). OT there is only David Bakhitari, Ricky Wagner and Alex Light (all 3 of which are slated to be 2021 free agents).
And . . . Bahktiari had a down year. Was this is a trend or just nagging injuries? He may have to be replaced soon regardless of contract.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
And . . . Bahktiari had a down year. Was this is a trend or just nagging injuries? He may have to be replaced soon regardless of contract.

I'm A OK with an OT being selected at any pick in the Packers draft, #30 on down, however I do think it should be pointed out that Bakhtiari's down year meant that rather than being the best left tackle in football, he was "merely" really good.

It seemed to me like it was rockier than normal early on, and then got back to normal later in the season. I wondered how much had to do with losing James Campen. He was Bakhtiari's OL coach his entire career until 2019.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interior offensive line is a pretty low key need compared to many others on the roster, plus it's one of the weakest positions in this draft class. I'd be pretty ticked if they spent one of their premium picks on center or guard.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interior offensive line is a pretty low key need compared to many others on the roster, plus it's one of the weakest positions in this draft class. I'd be pretty ticked if they spent one of their premium picks on center or guard.
I think there are a bunch of guards available this season that fit the 2nd and 3rd round. They are getting overshadowed by all the OTs, which will push them down. I personally want to get an OG so we can move Jenkins to center. I think he will be even better there and it is the position he actually prefers.

Although Bahk was playing better later in the season, he did play poorly in the NFCCG. He got manhandled on a few occasions by a rookie. I know Bosa is a special player, but I would have expected Bahk, a savvy vet with great skills, to have done better.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are a bunch of guards available this season that fit the 2nd and 3rd round. They are getting overshadowed by all the OTs, which will push them down. I personally want to get an OG so we can move Jenkins to center. I think he will be even better there and it is the position he actually prefers.

Although Bahk was playing better later in the season, he did play poorly in the NFCCG. He got manhandled on a few occasions by a rookie. I know Bosa is a special player, but I would have expected Bahk, a savvy vet with great skills, to have done better.

I'm not sure I could name 5 edges better than Joey Bosa. He's not just a special rookie, he's really freaking good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Bosa manhandled everyone he played last year. And I'll say this again-- if we are going to make personnel decisions based on that game, then you'd better cut everybody and find all new players.

I'm not going to pretend to have watched all of the interior linemen in this class. However, I think Lance Zierlein is the best that the media has to offer when it comes to offensive line analysis.

His top true guard is #50 on his board, and not really a fit for zone blocking. His next guy is #87.

Certain analysts deserve to be taken particularly seriously at certain positions. To me, that's Zierlein and offensive linemen. Unless he's just a blatant liar who has gone uncaught for years, he regularly has NFL teams checking in with him to see how he has OL stacked. So I think it's safe to say that the value in this class is not on the interior of the offensive line.

There are lots of good players at WR, OT, CB, and LB in the top 100 of this class-- all spots where GB has pressing need. If they pass on them to reach for a guard just so they could have an already good starter switch positions, I'd call that incompetence.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A pick that isn't too popular but I personally like is A.J. Epenesa @ 30. Then pick someone like Leki Fotu gapstopper in later rounds for Nose Tackle. That front mixed in with the Smiths and Gary on passing downs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A pick that isn't too popular but I personally like is A.J. Epenesa @ 30. Then pick someone like Leki Fotu gapstopper in later rounds for Nose Tackle. That front mixed in with the Smiths and Gary on passing downs.
Would love to get Epenesa. Dont think it will happen.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bosa manhandled everyone he played last year. And I'll say this again-- if we are going to make personnel decisions based on that game, then you'd better cut everybody and find all new players.

I'm not going to pretend to have watched all of the interior linemen in this class. However, I think Lance Zierlein is the best that the media has to offer when it comes to offensive line analysis.

His top true guard is #50 on his board, and not really a fit for zone blocking. His next guy is #87.

Certain analysts deserve to be taken particularly seriously at certain positions. To me, that's Zierlein and offensive linemen. Unless he's just a blatant liar who has gone uncaught for years, he regularly has NFL teams checking in with him to see how he has OL stacked. So I think it's safe to say that the value in this class is not on the interior of the offensive line.

There are lots of good players at WR, OT, CB, and LB in the top 100 of this class-- all spots where GB has pressing need. If they pass on them to reach for a guard just so they could have an already good starter switch positions, I'd call that incompetence.
This is a very deep draft with generational talent at WR and heavy on OTs. That means a player at 80 may very well be at 40 on a lean year. That OG that goes in the 4th could very well have gone in the 2nd round on some seasons. We all know and understand that OG is devalued compared to other positions.we can get a very good OG in this draft and I think it will make a big difference in our overall OLine performance (replacing our OC with Jenkins).

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would love to get Epenesa. Dont think it will happen.
Packers could trade up and grab him if he falls. Gute has shown he isn't scared to trade up to get talent (i.e. Jaire Alexander, Savage). I know the Oren Burks trade up hasn't been great but compared to other LBs drafted after Burks that year... maybe four are decent players (Leon Jacobs, Josey Jewell, Shaquem Griffin, & Shaun Dion Hamilton).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This is a very deep draft with generational talent at WR and heavy on OTs. That means a player at 80 may very well be at 40 on a lean year. That OG that goes in the 4th could very well have gone in the 2nd round on some seasons. We all know and understand that OG is devalued compared to other positions.we can get a very good OG in this draft and I think it will make a big difference in our overall OLine performance (replacing our OC with Jenkins).

You've got the relationship backwards. A weak guard class makes it way more likely that guys will get reached for than that they'll be a value.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I would pull my hair out.

Epenesa is an edge in the formations that the Packers spend the majority of their time in. If they pass on WR, OT, LB, CB to take another edge when they have Preston, Za'Darius, and Gary, I would start to have some doubts about the capability of the FO.

Won't happen though. He's the furthest thing from their type, athletically speaking.

Reaction score
2nd I would love to get another interior lineman. Maybe the center from Wisconsin. And then let Linsley go. Then we could sign a vet where needed. Probably would need to use the 1st on that pick:eek:.
Corey Linsley started day 1 and he was a 5th round selection at 161st overall (some sources had him projected in the 6-7th round out of Ohio as a 5.6 grade Center but we know now it was a fine pick there in round 5) There's absolutely no way that GB should draft a Center in round 1, if Gute does that he's off his rocker

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've got the relationship backwards. A weak guard class makes it way more likely that guys will get reached for than that they'll be a value.
Grades man. Grades. Talent level is high across the board. There are more players with higher grades so you can get a player graded in the 4th round this year as a similarly graded player in the 2nd round in other years.

You have to look at quality of each player on an individual basis.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Grades man. Grades. Talent level is high across the board. There are more players with higher grades so you can get a player graded in the 4th round this year as a similarly graded player in the 2nd round in other years.

You have to look at quality of each player on an individual basis.

Yes, and the indications are that when you do that along the interior offensive line, the results are paltry.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Is the plan to play Epenesa at 5T or 3T then?

He could play 5T for the 275 snaps that they're actually in a 3-4 front. Using him at 3T would be a waste. It's not where he would be best, and it would take away from using Z there, which has been really effective. He would get thrown into the hopper with the Smith's and Gary competing for edge snaps, and thus have minimal impact on the defense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could play 5T for the 275 snaps that they're actually in a 3-4 front. Using him at 3T would be a waste. It's not where he would be best, and it would take away from using Z there, which has been really effective. He would get thrown into the hopper with the Smith's and Gary competing for edge snaps, and thus have minimal impact on the defense.

Shhh. Waiting on an answer from them.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corey Linsley started day 1 and he was a 5th round selection at 161st overall (some sources had him projected in the 6-7th round out of Ohio as a 5.6 grade Center but we know now it was a fine pick there in round 5) There's absolutely no way that GB should draft a Center in round 1, if Gute does that he's off his rocker
Yes you like him. You like that he was drafted late and started. I guess you liked that we sent Tretter walking and kept Linsley. Linsley is overrated imo. Not worth $8M imo. Would like to get the center from Michigan and then have some money by letting Linsley go. But I really just want to get better. Seems like a whole lot of strong teams have gotten stronger this off season. So we have to have a good draft. Whoever we get, just don't miss. Lets get some players! Don't want to take fliers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Perusing PFF's rankings, here are some things that stand out against consensus.

Low vs. Consensus
  • Jordan Love, QB, USU at #76
  • Jacob Eason, QB, UW at #131
  • D'Andre Swift, RB, UGA at #76 (their RB1)
  • Jonathan Taylor, RB, WISC at #80
  • Hunter Bryant, TE, UW at #79 (their TE1)
  • Cole Kmet, TE, ND at #98
  • Adam Trautman, TE, DAY at #105
  • Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU at #32
  • Chase Claypool, WR, ND at #72
  • Mekhi Becton, OT, LOU at #45
  • Austin Jackson, OT, USC at #98
  • Isaiah Wilson, OT, UGA at #111
  • Lucas Niang, OT, TCU at #112
  • Ross Blacklock, iDL, TCU at #54
  • Raekwon Davis, iDL, AL at #115
  • Jason Strowbridge, iDL, UNC at #250
  • K'Lavon Chaisson, ED, LSU at #46
  • Yetur Gross-Matos, ED, PSU at #68
  • Kenneth Murray, LB, OK at #62
  • Malik Harrison, LB, OSU at #104
  • Reggie Robinson, CB, TULSA at #211
  • Jeremy Chinn, S, SIU at #107
High vs. Consensus
  • Laviska Shenault, WR, COL at #18
  • Michael Pittman, WR, USC at #22
  • Tyler Johnson, WR, MIN at #48
  • Jauan Jennings, WR, TEN at #70
  • Josh Jones, OT, HOU at #14
  • Jack Driscoll, OT, AUB at #78
  • Netane Muti, G, FRSU at #37
  • John Penisini, iDL, UTAH at #101
  • Curtis Weaver, ED, BSU at #26
  • Julian Okwara, ED, ND at #28
  • Troy Dye, LB, OR at #59
  • Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU at #12
  • Terrell Burgess, DB, UTAH at #57
  • K'Von Wallace, DB, CLEM at #60

These are interesting discrepancies to look through. PFF genuinely watches the games (as opposed to a lot of draft outlets that just regurgitate what is found elsewhere), but their process and what they value is unique in the industry, so they tend to end up with very different results.

Not universally, but in most cases they are going to value production more and traits less. A guy like Curtis Weaver illustrates this. He had a ton of production as a pass rusher at Boise State, but he has a bad body and doesn't look like an NFL player. More traditional scouts won't value his production very highly, but PFF does.

They also seem to value athletic testing less than most. They don't seem swayed by Chinn's workouts, for instance.

And lastly, they seem to put less weight than most in checkered medical histories. Shenault remains sky high for them, for instance. Netane Muti, guard from Fresno State, redshirted in 2016 with an achilles injury, missed all but two games in 2018 with an achilles injury, and then missed all but three games in 2019 with a lisfranc injury. To still have him at #37 is wild.

Staff online

Latest posts