The Dan Patrick show on Brett.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dan Patrick to Sean Salisbury: "Sean, I was talking to Phil Sims this afternoon and he said the Packers need to give Brett a signing bonus right now, and lock him up for two more years."

Salisbury: "I agree. They need to give it to him today... have him there for the next 2 or 3 years. Who would have expected the Packers to be 4 and 5, and more important for Brettto have 13 Touchdowns and only 7 ints.
They need to tell Roagers that he is a number one pick and he will have the opportunity to be the starting QB one day but he will have to sit for five years... and to take it like a man."

Paraphrasing... But you get the point.

RP

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Dan Patrick to Sean Salisbury: "Sean, I was talking to Phil Sims this afternoon and he said the Packers need to give Brett a signing bonus right now, and lock him up for two more years."

Salisbury: "I agree. They need to give it to him today... have him there for the next 2 or 3 years. Who would have expected the Packers to be 4 and 5, and more important for Brettto have 13 Touchdowns and only 7 ints.
They need to tell Roagers that he is a number one pick and he will have the opportunity to be the starting QB one day but he will have to sit for five years... and to take it like a man."

Paraphrasing... But you get the point.

RP

I totally agree with this sentiment. Why not lock up Favre for another couple of years? There is absolutely no reason not to. I know, for some reason, some people here will grumble about it, but it makes perfect sense.

Besides, I agree with most of what Phil Simms says. The guy is very level headed and knows what he's talking about.

I think Mike McCarthy would agree. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil Sims is one of the greatest evaluators of Q.B. Talent in N.F.L. (Note... I did not type MEDIA.)

The man has been perfect on his predictions of busts and stars coming out of the draft since he retired.

If he says this about Brett the Packers best be listening.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way he's playing I have no problem with Brett staying another couple of years. But if he does they need to cut their losses on the Rodgers draft pick and trade for somebody who can produce for the team. Wasting a #1 draft pick on someone who is going to sit for 5 years and then leave in free agency would be just plain stupid.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All depends. 5 years then let Rodgers go but I don't think anyone seriously thinks Brett will play that long. Rodgers is still a kid and I think sitting up to 2 more years wouldn't be the end of the world. As long as the next game Brett has an off game people don't all change their tune and call for Rodgers again. Either you back Brett or you don't so that's why I'm all for locking him up if that's what he wants but I'm thinking Brett doesn't want to be tied down but rather evaluate where he's at after each season

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't Favre already locked up through 2010? Why would he need a signing bonus?

I didn't even think Favre was going to play this year, but now that things are looking more optimistic, I could easily see him playing next year and maybe even one more after that. If he does, Thompson will have to make a tough decision on whether to keep Rodgers around.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am thinking Brett's 10yr deal was signed after the 96 or 97 season(may be wrong)if so he has one or two more years left.
I know a lot of people think A-rod sitting for another year or two is a waste, but not if you look at the big picture. He is learning and getting more and more comfortable with the system, the more time he has to learn the better(IMHO).
The thing to be doing is building a solid team around Brett, ao when A-Rod takes over he won't have to carry the team on his shoulders all the time. That process is well under way, young guys who are improving all the time. TT looks like he hit on a few good ones this year, if he is as successful next year, The Pack will be that much better.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow it seems like it was before that.
I don't know why they think Brett would change his mind one way or the other if he was offered a Signing bonus and new contract. At this point, I believe that Brett will come back if he thinks the team can be a winner, everything is looking like that is possible right now.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think what phil simms might have been getting at was cutting through all the mess that surrounded brett and how long it took for him to come to a decision.

mikegrubiak

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i think what phil simms might have been getting at was cutting through all the mess that surrounded brett and how long it took for him to come to a decision.

Yeah, either that or the whole ridiculous controversy of fans calling for Aaron Rodgers to be put in. :rotflmao:

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way he's playing I have no problem with Brett staying another couple of years. But if he does they need to cut their losses on the Rodgers draft pick and trade for somebody who can produce for the team. Wasting a #1 draft pick on someone who is going to sit for 5 years and then leave in free agency would be just plain stupid.

I agree that 3 years would be too long for Rodgers to have to wait. I would love to see Favre around for 3 more years. He probably wont be around for 3 more though. I think even though it would be cutting it close I think it would be OK for Aaron to sit on the bench for another year or two. It will be tought for him though.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

I agree that 3 years would be too long for Rodgers to have to wait. I would love to see Favre around for 3 more years. He probably wont be around for 3 more though. I think even though it would be cutting it close I think it would be OK for Aaron to sit on the bench for another year or two. It will be tought for him though.

I think sitting one more year in MM's scheme would only benefit Rodgers like it did Rivers out in SD.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivers sat 2 years...and he was asking for a trade if they made him sit 3..and that's why they leg go of Brees

greenbegas

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre will play at least one or two years and this is why... Favre didnt come back this year to just try out McCarthy's system and call it quits and he pretty much knew he wouldnt make the playoffs this year. He came back to continue and make the playoffs in the next couple years.
I am so glad that for all those people that were ripping the crap out of him last year are proven wrong.
I always stood by Favre and I know that not all of you can say the same thing.
Some of those people that were ripping him should feel pretty crappy right about now.

I have said this time and time again. Favre was not the problem. He was the reason they even had a chance to win last season.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rivers sat 2 years...and he was asking for a trade if they made him sit 3..and that's why they leg go of Brees

:chalflag: That and the fact that they didn't want to continue paying starting QB money to both of them. Especially considering that Brees is coming back from a major injury this season. There's more to it than Rivers crying about not getting playing time.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They let go of Brees because they were unsure of how his shoulder injury would effect him and with a top 5 draft pick at QB just sitting right there it was almost a no-brainer for AJ Smith. In fact he should be kissing martys butt for leaving brees in there as it now gave them an easy way out of their problem without upsettting the fans.

Members online

Latest posts