The Cupboard under TT

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Goodson completely destroyed his knee is may not even be able to play again..........and yet.............TT has him on the active roster. WTF is he doing? Most teams want a 60 man roster and TT seems to not even want to fill the current roster.

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The financial savings is the only logical reason that you can derive, since they can't dress all 53 anyway I guess we have to conclude that TT has decided to roll the dice and save some cash rather than filling the roster out again.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The inactives usually include a certain number of players that can't participate that week. Allowing the total squad to drop to less than the allowed 53 could potentially mean having 'active' guys who couldn't play.

D

Deleted member 6794

The financial savings is the only logical reason that you can derive, since they can't dress all 53 anyway I guess we have to conclude that TT has decided to roll the dice and save some cash rather than filling the roster out again.

The Packers only gain peanuts by keeping Goodson on the active roster. That's for sure not enough to justify not promoting another player to the 53.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See this is the crap with him that annoys me to no end. He insists on staying 10 mil under the cap to roll it over to the next year to resign players and then stays 10 mil under the cap that year and rolls 10 over to the next year.....repeat....repeat. He has also gone with a 52 man roster before for a few weeks for no reason and is doing it again for the most part with Goodson.

Clearly the 53rd guy on the roster is not that big of a deal especially considering 6 guys don't dress but there are plenty of creative things you could do other than this nickel and dime BS that TT keeps pulling.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get more pissed off about a player that is overwhelmingly more likely to do nothing than he is remotley help this team at this point in the season. It's good for ones health lol

You know what's worse than saving a few bucks? Blowing it on crap you know you have no use for.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get more pissed off about a player that is overwhelmingly more likely to do nothing than he is remotley help this team at this point in the season. It's good for ones health lol

You know what's worse than saving a few bucks? Blowing it on crap you know you have no use for.
I just don't see this as an issue.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see this as an issue.
Me either, especially when the same people got all lathered up over it last week too. It's probably there for when they activate Dorleant, but since he's probably not going to step in right away or at all this year there isn't much of a rush. I don't see much to gain by not filling it now, other than some crazy and unlikely scenarios occurring this late in the season, but those are mostly just wild imaginations at work. But I also see very little detriment to not having it filled with the types of players left available at this point either. A reason to complain I guess?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So Goodson completely destroyed his knee is may not even be able to play again..........and yet.............TT has him on the active roster. WTF is he doing? Most teams want a 60 man roster and TT seems to not even want to fill the current roster.

Maybe Capers is holding out hope to have Goodson back for the Super Bowl :rolleyes:

Most likely, TT and the coaches are waiting for the medical staff to fully evaluate Goodson. In Green Bay, this usually takes 4-6 weeks for Dr. Welby and his crack team of veterinarians to misdiagnose it and eventually decide IR is the most prudent course of action. This buys time for TT to carefully evaluate the available talent in the NFL and eventually sign a fullback to take Goodson's roster spot. :coffee:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Capers is holding out hope to have Goodson back for the Super Bowl :rolleyes:

Most likely, TT and the coaches are waiting for the medical staff to fully evaluate Goodson. In Green Bay, this usually takes 4-6 weeks for Dr. Welby and his crack team of veterinarians to misdiagnose it and eventually decide IR is the most prudent course of action. This buys time for TT to carefully evaluate the available talent in the NFL and eventually sign a fullback to take Goodson's roster spot. :coffee:
Hells ya!!! Did you see Kerridge throw those sick lead blocks with Ripper in on the same offensive set!!! Imagine once there are 3 of them!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Come on, it makes absolutely no sense to keep Goodson on the active roster. While it's probable another player promoted from the practice squad doesn't have any impact at least there's a slim chance for it to happen. The Packers saving less than $7K in cap space per week doesn't provide a meaningful explanation either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, it makes absolutely no sense to keep Goodson on the active roster. While it's probable another player promoted from the practice squad doesn't have any impact at least there's a slim chance for it to happen. The Packers saving less than $7K in cap space per week doesn't provide a meaningful explanation either.
There doesn't need to be a meaningful explanation. If they want to activate someone today or tomorrow or Monday they can. If they want to put Goodson on IR now or next week or at the instant they decide someone can help them, they can.

At this point it's just an excuse to ***** about Thompson, when in reality it isn't affecting this team in any meaningful way at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There doesn't need to be a meaningful explanation. If they want to activate someone today or tomorrow or Monday they can. If they want to put Goodson on IR now or next week or at the instant they decide someone can help them, they can.

At this point it's just an excuse to ***** about Thompson, when in reality it isn't affecting this team in any meaningful way at all.

Not sure how you can conclude that, its a Roster spot that could be used on another player. While I am not trying to imply that their is some Pro Bowl player sitting out there looking for a job, why keep dead weight, when you can IR the guy and give someone else a chance to practice and potentially be part of the team next year.

Now if this is a situation where the Packers would lose Goodson by putting him on IR with an injury settlement pending AND they don't want to lose Goodson, then I understand it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They already said they were activating Dorleant, everyone got pissed about it last week. It's the same news. They haven't officially put him on the 53 man active roster and they haven't taken Goodson off. There really is nothing to this. There is absolutely zero negative in NOT putting Goodson on IR the second he went out of the game last week or yesterday. When they figure Dorleant is ready, they'll make the move. Or someone will be a surprise cut because they were photographed with a chicken in an odd place or late for a meeting and the Packers will like him enough to use the spot instead.

The spot is open. There is nobody available they want to use it on. Dorleant has been practicing, they have a couple weeks to officially activate him. Everyone else is either on the practice squad and can be activated at any time. The only reason people want to complain is because the A) don't like Ted or B) still think that Browner or Cromartie have absolutely anything to offer this team other than take taking a paycheck.. It's just a new reason to complain about old news. Again.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So this starts getting all confusing...... Is Dorleant officially "designated" as the return from IR guy which ends those other guys seasons or did they just say they were going to use it on him while not actually doing it yet? I have no idea if I am right but I am thinking he was selected but he is allowed to practice now because of that while not actually being off IR yet as you are not allowed to practice at all until you are selected as the 1 guy.

It is insignificant but he could have brought in a guy from another team's PS and given him 2 weeks of work and maybe you find something. It could have been any position on the field. Then you cut him when you want dorleant activated or you make a different move if you love the guy. I think this is part cheap and part lazy on tt. Worst case you pay a guy for 2 weeks of work and ship him off.

Just as an example you have myles white sitting on a PS in Tampa. You could give him a once over after and maybe you **** can Janis if he looks good as Janis has been atrocious in all facets of the game this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no benefit of keeping Goodson on the roster. It's even possible the team would actually save some cap space by putting him on injured reserve with him likely having a two-way contract. It should pretty obvious that having another player able to practice or play makes more sense.

Now if this is a situation where the Packers would lose Goodson by putting him on IR with an injury settlement pending AND they don't want to lose Goodson, then I understand it.

With Goodson for sure being out the rest of the season there's no way an injury settlement can be reached.

The spot is open. There is nobody available they want to use it on.

There should be though as everyone capable of getting on the field is a better option than Goodson. If the front office doesn't feel comfortable to promote someone off their own practice squad it would have been way smarter to bring in a street free agent or someone from another team's PS to take a look at him for the last two weeks. I understand the chances are slim but that way you could end up with a player like Tramon Williams. By holding on to Goodson there's no chance at all.

So this starts getting all confusing...... Is Dorleant officially "designated" as the return from IR guy which ends those other guys seasons or did they just say they were going to use it on him while not actually doing it yet? I have no idea if I am right but I am thinking he was selected but he is allowed to practice now because of that while not actually being off IR yet as you are not allowed to practice at all until you are selected as the 1 guy.

Dorleant became the team's player designated to return from injured reserve as soon as he practiced for the first time. No other player having been put on IR is allowed to participate in practice for the rest of the season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They already said they were activating Dorleant, everyone got pissed about it last week. It's the same news. They haven't officially put him on the 53 man active roster and they haven't taken Goodson off. There really is nothing to this. There is absolutely zero negative in NOT putting Goodson on IR the second he went out of the game last week or yesterday. When they figure Dorleant is ready, they'll make the move. Or someone will be a surprise cut because they were photographed with a chicken in an odd place or late for a meeting and the Packers will like him enough to use the spot instead.

The spot is open. There is nobody available they want to use it on. Dorleant has been practicing, they have a couple weeks to officially activate him. Everyone else is either on the practice squad and can be activated at any time. The only reason people want to complain is because the A) don't like Ted or B) still think that Browner or Cromartie have absolutely anything to offer this team other than take taking a paycheck.. It's just a new reason to complain about old news. Again.
You've got this bunch perfectly pegged Mondio.

Members online

Latest posts