The Cowboys have three players missing

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Cowboys didn't have 19 players missing for personal reasons, they had three players missing. One guy was getting married and the other two were injured. I wonder of the two teams, which players have the higher expectations?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately for the Cowboys, the T.O. signing is guaranteed to implode by Week 9 along with any hopes they have for a playoff spot. You heard it here first. :p

However, I agree that 19 Packers missing OTAs is not a good sign at all. However, the lack of discipline doesn't surprise me from a HC who was OC of the 32nd worst offense in 2005. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
Unfortunately for the Cowboys, the T.O. signing is guaranteed to implode by Week 9 along with any hopes they have for a playoff spot. You heard it here first. :p

However, I agree that 19 Packers missing OTAs is not a good sign at all. However, the lack of discipline doesn't surprise me from a HC who was OC of the 32nd worst offense in 2005. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Then you missed the 2000-2004 when he was the OC of a top 10 offense in each and everyone of those years. :wink:

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Then you missed the 2000-2004 when he was the OC of a top 10 offense in each and everyone of those years. :wink:

Porky:

Admittedly, I do not know a lot about McCarthy. A lot of what I do know (or I might say THINK I know) about him comes from a buddy of mine who is a huge 49ers fan who also tends to follow the league a lot closer than I do (in short, he is a fanatic). Anyways, he was less than impressed with McCarthy's performance last season, and was very surprised when GB offered him the job as HC. However, it is also true that it is TT's job to know more about prospective coaching staff than I do, so I am not going to go completely negative on McCarthy until I see what he can get this team to do on the field. After all, there are reasons why TT is GM of the Packers and not my buddy, you or I (I just hope they are far better reasons than why Sherman held the title as long as he did... lol).

I was very glad to read he led successful campaigns through the seasons you posted. It really does help raise my optimism for the 2006 season. :)

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The bottom line to this post is that under Shermans regime there seemed to be very little, if any, consequences when players didn't do what they were supposed to do. Everyone, and I mean everyone knows that even though these OTA's are voluntary, they're really not. These guys are making huge sums of money to be at every activity that their boss wants them to be at. These guys are millioinaires, don't tell me you you didn't know in time. There isn't one player that should be in Green Bay and every player on that teams knows it. Woodson just signed for 24 million dollars, where he is? To me, one play absent is too many. If this is going to be accepted then I'll tell you what our team will be like this year. They will play uncontrolled defense and miss assignments regularly. They won't hit hard and tackle well. Special teams will miss assignments regularly as well. The offense will be out of sync and everyone will complain that we have all these new players and it takes time to learn to play together.

A well disciplined team doesn't have these issues.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
The bottom line to this post is that under Shermans regime there seemed to be very little, if any, consequences when players didn't do what they were supposed to do. Everyone, and I mean everyone knows that even though these OTA's are voluntary, they're really not. These guys are making huge sums of money to be at every activity that their boss wants them to be at. These guys are millioinaires, don't tell me you you didn't know in time. There isn't one player that should be in Green Bay and every player on that teams knows it. Woodson just signed for 24 million dollars, where he is? To me, one play absent is too many. If this is going to be accepted then I'll tell you what our team will be like this year. They will play uncontrolled defense and miss assignments regularly. They won't hit hard and tackle well. Special teams will miss assignments regularly as well. The offense will be out of sync and everyone will complain that we have all these new players and it takes time to learn to play together.

A well disciplined team doesn't have these issues.

I agree completely. It's something that some of these young/new players could use to show commitment to this team. It's not something that is any way is positive.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think that this is just like the turnover from when sherman was fired.

It is NOT going to be fixed in ONE year. a lot of players from his tenure are STILL on the team, and it will take a good 2-3 seasons before it is what us pakcers fans want, close to 100% participation.

But Jags\MCCarthy already said it is better than last years turnout. So thats a start.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It may be Tro, but its still a big dissapointment. It is probably being slightly overblown but it just seems to me that some of these guys would want to come in and immediately impress the coaches.

It's a new era for GB under MM and I would prefer to see full commitment to self-improvement by each and every guy on the roster.

Not real upset about a few guys but Woodson should no doubt have his *** in there. Woodson is lazy, which he got away with early in his career, but it's clearly not the case anymore. I just feel like a guy who self-promotes himself as "the best corner in the league" would be frustrated with his lack of production the last few years and would look at this like a fresh start.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I'm still struggling to grasp this concept of where it takes 2-3 years to change the player's concepts of what is being expected of them by the team's new management.

I mean, let's put it into the perspective of many of us. The business you work for is bought out by a new company and they schedule some meetings for after hours and a couple of Saturday mornings to acclimate all the employees with the new company's policies and procedures. Anyone without a really good excuse is expected to attend.

So what do you do? Tell them, sorry, I've got a cookout scheduled for Saturday, can't make it? Tell them hey, can't stick around after hours so give me a couple of years and I'll be right up to speed with the rest of the employees? Tell them look, you're only paying me a million dollars per year, forget me working anything other than mandatory work hours?

Sorry, but I still haven't heard a good enough reason to convince me that every player on the roster shouldn't be there.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
I guess I'm still struggling to grasp this concept of where it takes 2-3 years to change the player's concepts of what is being expected of them by the team's new management.

I mean, let's put it into the perspective of many of us. The business you work for is bought out by a new company and they schedule some meetings for after hours and a couple of Saturday mornings to acclimate all the employees with the new company's policies and procedures. Anyone without a really good excuse is expected to attend.

So what do you do? Tell them, sorry, I've got a cookout scheduled for Saturday, can't make it? Tell them hey, can't stick around after hours so give me a couple of years and I'll be right up to speed with the rest of the employees? Tell them look, you're only paying me a million dollars per year, forget me working anything other than mandatory work hours?

Sorry, but I still haven't heard a good enough reason to convince me that every player on the roster shouldn't be there.

DAMN STRAIGHT LARE - GREAT POST!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's because players know they are not expendable. I haven't seen the whole list of players who have missed workouts, but i can almost guarantee you the ones who are missing are the big names... Harris, Woodson, etc. If you aren't afraid to lose your job, then you put in the least amount of effort necessary. I know you guys have seen 'Office Space'. If there is some scrub kid signed to the practice roster for the league minimum, you KNOW his *** is going to be at every single team scheduled meeting, workout, film session, whatever, because he's scared of being fired. Granted, that is not the only motivator out there, i give 100% to most everything i do, certainly to everything i care about, because that's the kind of person i am. i don't half-***. most people aren't like this, and will go along with their lives doing the bare minimum. Go to ****ing camp, work with and get to know your team and your system, and win some ****ing ball games so i can take my one day a week off to enjoy some Packer football. now i'm pissed.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right on Bozz! How bout these guys give 100% to being the best they can be so the people that allow them to make 23 gazillion dollars a year by buying inflated tickets and merchandise watch some truely quality football!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to bozz - right on, man!!

to trommykins - why the he-ll AREN'T they just like us?? i am sick to death of this mentality (not you, trommy - the mentality) that holds these guys up on some freakin pedestal! they have a JOB to do & they should do it - just like you & me. the "idol" mentality is what has turned alot of these players into cream puff egomaniacs. if there was ever a time for guys to show up for camps, i'd think it would be when you have a new coaching staff - if not now - when??? :evil:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila said one of the reasons for the poor attendance at the second minicamp and the OTAs was because the new coaching staff waited until March to give players the offseason schedule. Gbaja-Biamila said that was the reason he missed the second minicamp, held May 19-21.

“Because there is a new coaching staff, we didn’t get the schedule like we usually would after the season,â€

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I still think that this is just like the turnover from when sherman was fired.

It is NOT going to be fixed in ONE year. a lot of players from his tenure are STILL on the team, and it will take a good 2-3 seasons before it is what us pakcers fans want, close to 100% participation.

But Jags\MCCarthy already said it is better than last years turnout. So thats a start.

Yea it's Sherman's fault :roll: That would explain why Woodson and Pickett decided to not come :roll: C'mon guys....there is nothing you can do if these guys don't show up. Any player should want to be there but apparently MM has not garnered the respect that Parcells demands YET. It shouldn't be that way but unfortunately that's the way it goes.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah it is shermans fault that he set this tone for the last five years. that carries over.

the current staff is trying to change it, but as you would guess, is being met with a lot of resistance.

you can use the eye-rolling smiley all you want, it doesn't make you right.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree with you trom, it is "Sherman fall-out", but as the head coach, it is mccarthy's job to fix whatever it was that the last coach did to get himself canned. there are most certainly varying extremes as to how much work the new coach has to put in to fix the errors of the past, but he is expected to do so nonetheless. McCarthy is not superman but i hope he can get our team on track. All this situation proves is that McCarthy needs to work harder.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i agree with you trom, it is "Sherman fall-out", but as the head coach, it is mccarthy's job to fix whatever it was that the last coach did to get himself canned. there are most certainly varying extremes as to how much work the new coach has to put in to fix the errors of the past, but he is expected to do so nonetheless. McCarthy is not superman but i hope he can get our team on track. All this situation proves is that McCarthy needs to work harder.

If we have full attendance for Training Camp. This will be forgot about fast then. THat's my goal. Seems like holdouts started with Sherman. Harris said he'll skip the optional camps but be there for TC. Hopefully everyone is there.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yeah it is shermans fault that he set this tone for the last five years. that carries over.

the current staff is trying to change it, but as you would guess, is being met with a lot of resistance.

you can use the eye-rolling smiley all you want, it doesn't make you right.

Conveniently avoided the Pickett/Woodson comment :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Hey....thanks for giving me permission to use the eye-rolly smiley all I want. I wasn't sure if it was allowed.

These new guys could do no wrong in your eyes :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: ....must be Sherman's fault :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Thanks again :roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pickett\woodson dont need it. they should be there, but its understandable(unfortunately). guys like carroll should be there.

id love to hear your comments if favre no showed

"hes brett favre! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE! HE doesn't need to be there!"

uh huh

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts