The cheap shot on Randall Cobb

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have watched this hit more times to be sure so I wouldn't let my emotions dictate my thinking.

My take is that that player deserves a suspension. If you watch the defender his arms are down not extended forward. His helmet is pointed as a missille directly at Cobb's leg. It was a brutal uncalled for hit. NO place in the game.

Legal or not that defender was trying to cripple Cobb with that hit. Reminds me of the Saints during bounty gate as in the unabashed nature of the hits against Favre in question. The rules needs to be tweaked for certain.

You'd think that a fellow NFL player wouldn't mess with the livelihood of another in such a manner. I'm an eye for an eye kind of guy so the next time the Ravens are on the schedule I'd be dishing out a little payback especially if no fines or suspensions are not issued for this situation.
I hate to agree like that, but that's exactly right.
Again, I'd like to see a new, roided up Tonya Harding sent into the Elam household in the middle of the night, and put her to work.
Anyone here know what Tonya Harding is famous for?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I hate to agree like that, but that's exactly right.
Again, I'd like to see a new, roided up Tonya Harding sent into the Elam household in the middle of the night, and put her to work.
Anyone here know what Tonya Harding is famous for?

yup, she put the hit out mafia style on Nancy kerrigans knees before an ice skating event. She had the guys beat those knees like they owed her money.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Elam never hit him with his helmet, if anything it was with the BACK of his right shoulder pad. How can that be a dirty play ??? :eek:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please tell me how many safeties flying over the middle towards a guy that just caught the ball extend their arms to wrap up? Yes, there are some that still practice technically sound tackling, however there are many that simply throw their bodies into players in an attempt to intimidate.

Was Nick Collins a dirty player? I don't think so but if you watch this video, at 31 seconds, you'll see a highlight of Nick Collins leading with his head/shoulder and not extending his arms. Don't start labeling someone a dirty player just because football is inherently dangerous. Also, Nick Collins was fun to watch.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please tell me how many safeties flying over the middle towards a guy that just caught the ball extend their arms to wrap up?
Reading all of these comments I was thinking the same thing. I've seen this countless times out of Packer players. I'd bet EVERY one of the folks calling it a dirty hit, has somewhere on this forum lamented about how our defensive players didn't "wrap up" on their tackles, especially in the 2011 season. Were they dirty players? No.

There is a major case of homerism in this thread. I'm mad as heck that Cobb got injured but I'm not lashing out at a play that I've seen thousands of times throughout the league and by my "favorite" players on the Packers.

Reaction score
Reading all of these comments I was thinking the same thing. I've seen this countless times out of Packer players. I'd bet EVERY one of the folks calling it a dirty hit, has somewhere on this forum lamented about how our defensive players didn't "wrap up" on their tackles, especially in the 2011 season. Were they dirty players? No.

There is a major case of homerism in this thread. I'm mad as heck that Cobb got injured but I'm not lashing out at a play that I've seen thousands of times throughout the league and by my "favorite" players on the Packers.
I agree El Guapo. I am a homer. I am still pissed about the hit on Clifton by Warren Sapp, even though it was ruled a clean hit. I hope Cobb can can be back sooner than later.

12theTruth

I agree El Guapo. I am a homer. I am still pissed about the hit on Clifton by Warren Sapp, even though it was ruled a clean hit. I hope Cobb can can be back sooner than later.

Sapp is a thug. Thanks for reminding me about that hit. It isn't a homer viewpoint to be upset about the hit against Cobb. I don't see our defensive backs flying toward the opponent with their arms not even projecting towards opponent. The replay I saw the player left his feet and launched head first aiming directly at the players knee.

It is inches from a career ending injury. Elam was going to put his opponent out of commissioin with taking that approach. I honestly haven't seen our DB's tackle in that manner. I don't go back and look at the games regularly on DVR though however. So those saying everybody does it please point it out these remaining 10 weeks when one of our Packer defensive backs approaches a tackle in that manner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sapp is a thug. Thanks for reminding me about that hit. It isn't a homer viewpoint to be upset about the hit against Cobb. I don't see our defensive backs flying toward the opponent with their arms not even projecting towards opponent. The replay I saw the player left his feet and launched head first aiming directly at the players knee.

It is inches from a career ending injury. Elam was going to put his opponent out of commissioin with taking that approach. I honestly haven't seen our DB's tackle in that manner. I don't go back and look at the games regularly on DVR though however. So those saying everybody does it please point it out these remaining 10 weeks when one of our Packer defensive backs approaches a tackle in that manner.

Only reason he went for the knees is because that's what the league wants. If you knew going anywhere near the head, or where the head could end up, would cost you $10k+, you'd go low too. If you simply believe that safeties who launch at players are dirty, then Nick Collins was dirty (not trying to harp on Collins comparison but it's tough to find safety highlights).

12theTruth

Only reason he went for the knees is because that's what the league wants. If you knew going anywhere near the head, or where the head could end up, would cost you $10k+, you'd go low too. If you simply believe that safeties who launch at players are dirty, then Nick Collins was dirty (not trying to harp on Collins comparison but it's tough to find safety highlights).

The league just don't want hits to the head. I didn't say that simply launch but launch with their head out and their arms down. Elam had other options. He chose the route that endangers a players livelihood.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like every week we are the only NFL team to suffer something bad in every game?
Bad calls by the refs.
Bad hits.
Damn.
I would love to go for just three weeks without any snafus.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will only say that NFL safeties commonly throw themselves shoulder/head first into players coming across the middle of the field. If anyone bothered to watch the video I linked to, you'd see that Collins did the same thing at times. Now, I haven't watched every play that Elam has been involved in so maybe this type of tackle is common for him. Barring that, I saw nothing out of the ordinary on that tackle other than bad luck.

Reaction score
Is it just me or does it seem like every week we are the only NFL team to suffer something bad in every game?
Bad calls by the refs.
Bad hits.
Damn.
I would love to go for just three weeks without any snafus.

You picked my mind, brother! I was just thinking the same thing and even my buddy who is a die-hard Bears fan said that he's never seen anything like the bad luck the Packers continue to have.

Oh, and you left one out.......the "under further review" challenges that we never seem to win.

Won a Super Bowl in 2011 and have been cursed ever since it seems:mad:

Reaction score
Please tell me how many safeties flying over the middle towards a guy that just caught the ball extend their arms to wrap up? Yes, there are some that still practice technically sound tackling, however there are many that simply throw their bodies into players in an attempt to intimidate.

Was Nick Collins a dirty player? I don't think so but if you watch this video, at 31 seconds, you'll see a highlight of Nick Collins leading with his head/shoulder and not extending his arms. Don't start labeling someone a dirty player just because football is inherently dangerous. Also, Nick Collins was fun to watch.

I will only say that NFL safeties commonly throw themselves shoulder/head first into players coming across the middle of the field. If anyone bothered to watch the video I linked to, you'd see that Collins did the same thing at times. Now, I haven't watched every play that Elam has been involved in so maybe this type of tackle is common for him. Barring that, I saw nothing out of the ordinary on that tackle other than bad luck.
Got it, Nick Collins does the same thing. The horse is dead.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater. Before those two glorified the "big hit" high school and college kids were taught to get the head across and wrap up the tackle. Then the "big hit" became popular and sound tackling technique disappeared, especially in the secondary.
Also, what have other players been saying about the hit? I haven't heard anything negative ( but then again I AM in Baltimore).

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say 100% it was a dirty hit, and I hope that Elam and Delmas and Swearinger break vertabraes (not paralysis, just sit down like Collins has had to).. I don't care if it was within the stupid rules.

Puzzy DBs shouldn't take it out on players ACLs because of the Goodell anti-lawsuit rules to the head.

Canty of course supports his teammate> http://nfl.si.com/2013/10/17/chris-canty-aaron-rodgers-matt-elam-hit/?sct=hp_t2_a10

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the rules as sits, its hard to find logical fault. With that being said, I don't think Elam was thinking about fines or rules, and I think he was thinking about stopping a big gain.

Its not right. Its not popular. If that was Brandon Marshall in a close game we wouldn't be talking about it.

Bad hits happen. Dude got beat, took a bad angle and hit a planted leg, didn't take the best tackling form, and now we suffer due to it.

I don't think it was dirty as that would be saying he meant harm. I think he meant to stop a big play or knew he was beat and had no chance going high.

Would a could a should a. It sucks. Its football. Cobb will be missed, but no fine or suspension of a ravens player gets us closer.

All we can do is hope we coach up his back up.

We dive at knees too. We just do it half a second later and allow them to vault over us for 10 more yards.

Put it in perspective people.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
MM was on mad dog radio this morning with christopher russo and was asked about the hit. You could tell without a doubt that russo was trying to bait him into saying something negative but MM kept it clean.....but you could tell MM was on the side of that it was a cheap shot.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching the play, it looked like the severity of the injury had more to do with the timing and the fact that Cobb had just planted his leg. If Elam hits him a split second later, Cobb pops up and runs back to the huddle. It was a bang-bang play and only Matt Elam knows if he meant harm. It's not always as black and white as we've seen in the past.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got it, Nick Collins does the same thing. The horse is dead.

At least I brought up a tangible example, didn't see anyone else bringing anything to the table.

But if you want a newer, different horse, here's a quote from Hyde: @TyDunne: Hyde: "I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't go low like that. I hope the guy doesn't get hurt, but it happens. It's the game." #packers

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me a break people. It was an unlucky play. Nothing dirty about it. People dive at the legs of the guy with the ball all the time and that doesn't happen.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did you (sunshinepacker) think of the hits today?
The guy who hit J-MIke didn't use his helmet, he turned his head and got J-Mike with his shoulder, but into J-Mike's head.... which was already on the way down to the ground. That's why Gipson went so low.... it was another shot that was borderline-cheap... it was unnecessary.

Again, I am wondering if we need to put the leather helmets back on these head-hunting DBs... see if they still lead with and go after heads and knees, heads down.
How about keeping your EYES UP, heads up.

I hope Finley is okay...... as much as many of our fans hate on him, he's extreeeemely valuable now that we have lost so many of our former weapons.

Remember THIS?
Remember these weapons?
One left..... sad. Unfair.

Members online

Latest posts