The Browns (WR thread)

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Hollywood Brown or AJ Brown would give the Packers the best and deepest receiving Corp in the league.

I know some people don’t think the Packers need another WR. That’s fair. But what happens if Davante Adams gets hurt. They go from one of the better groups in the league, to one of the worst? We need insurance. AJ Brown is Davante Adams Jr. and Hollywood Brown is Tyreek Hill Jr.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe we will draft a WR this year as our scheme will change. We will need a quicker slot type. Both browns are definitely value picks at 30 and i could see either of them being the pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hollywood is incredible, but it's hard to get behind a 166 lb WR.

Reaction score
Just some observations:

1. We drafted 3 WRs last year but we can’t expect all to make the final cuts after what we saw last year

2. We lost Jordy, Monty and Cobb in basically a year. The above prospects cannot be considered adequate to match that talent loss at this juncture.

3. While we have some good prospects with upside, we are largely inexperienced an unproven at the position and that doesn’t match up well with a heavy pro-pass Offense and a HOF QB going into his twilight years.

My opinion is we need an upgrade at the position, but not necessarily at Slot. I’m more comfortable with a couple of the newer, faster guys fighting over Cobbs role inside and going after a true perimeter WR opposite Davante. I would almost expect us to go WR with one of our first 3 selections and certainly by #75

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree about the best and deepest group in the league. In fact that honor may go to the team you mentioned in your title (the Browns). We have one established WR in Adams and that’s it. Allison showed promise last year before the injury but still he has not proven anything to me. Super Jake and the wonder triplets have talent but just as many questions. A rookie would add more talent and potential but not a lot IMO to move us up the ranks. I don’t know if we would crack the toP 10.

I would love to add a 1st or 2nd round talent to the group if it falls that way but unless LaFluer plans on using one of our existing guys in the slot whoever we draft had better be slot ready.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Hollywood Brown or AJ Brown would give the Packers the best and deepest receiving Corp in the league.

I know some people don’t think the Packers need another WR. That’s fair. But what happens if Davante Adams gets hurt. They go from one of the better groups in the league, to one of the worst? We need insurance. AJ Brown is Davante Adams Jr. and Hollywood Brown is Tyreek Hill Jr.

I do see some of Adam's in AJ Brown but Tyreek Hill has some body to him. Marquise Brown is a twig and should be avoided at all cost. A 166 pound receiver on a frozen field wont work.

The only chance M. Brown has is to go to a dome team. Even then I don't believe his body will hold up for long.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
No one cringes at Campbell's speed. That aspect of his game is not the concern.

Marquise Brown is 40lbs smaller though. To me he is much more of a risk. The only successful comp I really see is Tyler Lockett. I would be very dissapointed if the Packers took a chance on M. Brown.

People can say I am RECEIVER CRAZY but even I have my limits.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
My hope is the Ravens reach on M. BROWN so that Campbell will slide to us at 30.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Marquise Brown is 40lbs smaller though. To me he is much more of a risk. The only successful comp I really see is Tyler Lockett. I would be very dissapointed if the Packers took a chance on M. Brown.

People can say I am RECEIVER CRAZY but even I have my limits.

I understand the concern. I'm pretty skeptical of Brown.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like AJ Brown, but he's a commodity that I don't think we can afford with the draft capital we have. I honestly didn't know Marquise Brown was 166 lbs, because I was never high on him. Desean Jackson came into the league at 175 so I suppose anything is possible, but I'd prefer that possibility was with another team. This WR class is deep enough to where there will be some good talent left on the board well into the 3rd and 4th Round.

Matt LeFleur on Feb 27 at the Combine - “It’s one of the more complete receiving corps I’ll have had a chance to work with....We’ve got guys that can take the top off the coverage, and we’ve got guys that can separate in those short, have that short-area quickness that can separate and we can move inside.”

Brian Gutekunst on Feb 27 at the Combine - “I was really happy. I think they each had their moments at different times of the year. That transition to the NFL game can be a big one. A lot of receivers don’t usually see production until the second or third year. I thought those guys had a lot of challenge and they met ‘em. They met them head on and gave us help, especially down the stretch. Both (Equanimeous St. Brown) and (Marquez) Valdes-Scantling had big moments. J’Mon (Moore) was a little bit behind, but at the same time he worked every day, showed up, we saw definite improvement throughout the year. I think the future for those three guys is pretty bright.”

Doesn't sound like guys who want a WR in the 1st Round.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like AJ Brown, but he's a commodity that I don't think we can afford with the draft capital we have. I honestly didn't know Marquise Brown was 166 lbs, because I was never high on him. Desean Jackson came into the league at 175 so I suppose anything is possible, but I'd prefer that possibility was with another team. This WR class is deep enough to where there will be some good talent left on the board well into the 3rd and 4th Round.

Matt LeFleur on Feb 27 at the Combine - “It’s one of the more complete receiving corps I’ll have had a chance to work with....We’ve got guys that can take the top off the coverage, and we’ve got guys that can separate in those short, have that short-area quickness that can separate and we can move inside.”

Brian Gutekunst on Feb 27 at the Combine - “I was really happy. I think they each had their moments at different times of the year. That transition to the NFL game can be a big one. A lot of receivers don’t usually see production until the second or third year. I thought those guys had a lot of challenge and they met ‘em. They met them head on and gave us help, especially down the stretch. Both (Equanimeous St. Brown) and (Marquez) Valdes-Scantling had big moments. J’Mon (Moore) was a little bit behind, but at the same time he worked every day, showed up, we saw definite improvement throughout the year. I think the future for those three guys is pretty bright.”

Probably not, but still a possibility. The value in WR in this draft will be 4th round. I think there are 20 guys who are in the 2nd -4th round value. I think teams will address other positions and the entire tier will slide because of it. I look for the pack to replace Cobb with a similar WR in the 4th and get a pretty good one.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

What do you expect them to say? If they thought they sucked would they really show there hand prior to the draft? Sounds like normal press conference talk to me. I never read into that stuff too much.

I would be surprised if GB went receiver at 12(I wouldn't complain) but outside of that I expect one to be drafted at 30 or 44.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are professionals, there are ways to say the position group is talent-deficient if that were so. Gute even went out to say that J'Mon did suck in a losing effort at practice.

What is press conference talk? What talk do you read into? Losing game talk? Winning game talk? NFL Access talk?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They are professionals, there are ways to say the position group is talent-deficient if that were so. Gute even went out to say that J'Mon did suck in a losing effort at practice.

What is press conference talk? What talk do you read into? Losing game talk? Winning game talk? NFL Access talk?

How about "WE NEED A NO.2 RECEIVER TALK" and were not winning a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP without one. PERIOD!

if people want to stay in denial and continue to ignore the obvious then fine but the biggest and most glarring weakness on the entire roster right now is no.2 receiver. Gute is gonna keep what his plans are close to his chest and would never come out prior to the draft and give anyone any indication of what they really are gonna do.

I personally belive all this QB watching by the Packers is to build value in the 12th and potentially 30th pick. You can believe what you want.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is capable of being a No. 2 he had over 500 yds in his rookie year. He was the 6th best rookie in receiving yds as a Day 3 pick. Now he'll have a full NFL Offseason to benefit from. You don't have to find a WR in the 1st Round just to have a No. 2. Hell Adams wasn't even in the 1st Round and neither was Jordy, Driver, or Jennings who preceded him in the No. 1 spot.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
MVS is capable of being a No. 2 he had over 500 yds in his rookie year. He was the 6th best rookie in receiving yds as a Day 3 pick. Now he'll have a full NFL Offseason to benefit from. You don't have to find a WR in the 1st Round just to have a No. 2. Hell Adams wasn't even in the 1st Round and neither was Jordy, Driver, or Jennings who preceded him in the No. 1 spot.

I suppose there is a minimal chance of that but Packers can not afford to rely solely on that.

They desperately need to add an elite talent to the receiving corp to safeguard against injury and potential lottery tickets not panning out.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No way we draft a WR in the first. I’d be ok with one at #45 only because that will be the sweet spot to get “your guy” but nothing sooner.

Reaction score
Brandon is right about this. We need help at receiver.
We’ve lost 3 receivers (Jordy, Monty and Cobb) in essentially a calendar year. We drafted three 3rd day picks.
It’s likely 1 maybe 2 tops will be here in a couple years and it’s also possibly ZERO get to Jordy or Cobb peak status, that’s not being mean or imaginative or exaggerating, that’s just our reality.

I actually wish we didn’t need a WR. I really do, so we could pick at other needed positions. However, in this particular draft there will be several selections that GB will have to seriously consider drafting a WR if they are truly a top remaining prospect.
We need a Slot or another receiver that can compliment opposite Adams by 2020. Id prefer to get them in the system now so they have time to develop and get production by next season.

If we get extremely positive results from another receiver in the meantime? Work a trade and likely get that pick right back next year.

I’d like to see us consider picking the best value at either Slot or Perimeter by selection #3, then there’s lots of potential in a deep WR draft class to pick up another receiver who slides into day 3 who in many drafts would be top 100 or so.

I can see an option of keeping 7 on the 53.
Adams, GMO, (early WR draft pick), MVS..

Then four of these remaining WR’s to compete for three spots on the 53 and one PS. That said there’s an odd man out of the following..
EQ, 3rd day Draft pick, Kumerow, J’mon or Davis.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see Gute drafting 2 WRs a year after drafting 3 WRs. I'm guessing because none of them had 1000 yds and 10 TDs we automatically "need a WR". I get it, at times they were lost, they had trouble getting open, made mistakes, etc....but that's what rookies do. We got great value out of the guys we got given their draft position. GMo was on for a career year before he got hurt. Had he stayed the course, we might have squeaked out a win or two, that Redskins game especially. No way I see us entering training camp with 9 or 10 WRs.

Members online

Latest posts