THE BOSS SAYS - BRETT STAYS !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask the boss, Favre's not going anywhere
By: Joe Giovannetti, Assisttant Sports Editor
Issue date: 9/19/06 Section: Sports

Brett Favre (right) gets sacked against the Lions. Favre going down has become an all too common sight in Green Bay. Despite the teams struggles, fans don't want him to go.

MADISON, Wis. - By now you've heard everyone's opinion. If you pay attention to "Pardon the Interruption," the NFL Network and just about every columnist in the country, you've made a decision on what Brett Favre should do next.

His choices: retire or force a trade.

While there's no consensus, everyone thinks they have the answer. Well, they don't. If you ask the Packers' owner, Favre's not going anywhere.

Green Bay is the only NFL franchise in which fans hold a major ownership stake. Some literally pay to own stock in the team. In Wisconsin, Packer football is like oxygen.

But Green Bay fans aren't exactly breathing easy these days. The Packers aren't dead, but they're on life support.

Green Bay is awful, bad enough that a buddy and I agreed that we'd wager against them every week - no matter what team they're playing.

It's painful for fans to watch the Packers and even more painful to watch Favre's fall from grace. That's why all the experts, most of them miles away from Lambeau Field, suggest that he needs to be traded. Everybody wins - Favre gets a chance to play for a winner, and the Packers can focus on rebuilding.

Well, except the fans.

"It would be nice to see him go out with some style," said Ryan, a middle-aged man who's been a fan since Super Bowl I, while eating chips and salsa at a Chili's in Madison, Wis. "I'd like to see him have his last great season in Green Bay."

When fans were asked if they wanted Favre to be traded, most answered with a resounding "Hell, no," not, "If you love someone, let them go." Favre is their guy; why should they give him to somebody else?

The worst thing would be to pull a Jessica Simpson; dump their man and have to see him on the cover of every magazine with Vanessa Minnillo.

"He needs better linemen," said Quinton, a server at the same Chili's. "He's still got a cannon. Look, he just put it right there," Quinton added after Favre uncorked a great throw.

On Sunday against New Orleans, Favre showed that, on occasion, he's still got it. No. 4 went 31-for-55 for 340 yards and three touchdowns. On the final drive of the third quarter, he slightly resembled the young Favre.

He was light on his feet, dancing away from rushers who easily penetrated his patchwork pass protection. He was aggressive but not reckless, for the most part careful with the football. He made plays instead of forcing them. In particular, his two throws to Donald Driver couldn't have been placed more perfectly. He was back to gun slinging and, for the first time in a while, hitting his targets instead of innocent bystanders.

For a few plays, the beaten-down Packers fans smiled after every pinpoint pass, cheered after every first down. This was the Brett Favre they knew and loved - and still love.

The world was right again for one drive.

But the feeling ended quickly when the Saints scored twice within 20 seconds. It was obvious that even if Favre had one of his classic games, the Packers wouldn't make him throw 55 times unless they had no other choice.

You have to understand - Favre's not the problem, the rest of the team is.

Ahman Green hasn't been an elite running back since 2003. The big addition to the receiving corps, Koren Robinson, is a gamble just to stay on the field because another DUI could land him in jail. The defense is just as pathetic as the offense, allowing 60 points in its first two games. That's why no one is pushing to see 2005 first-round NFL Draft pick Aaron Rodgers step into the starting lineup. He's not the solution.

It was rare that Joe Montana was succeeded by Steve Young. Most times, Bubby Brister will step in for John Elway, Jay Fiedler will replace Dan Marino.

It can take decades to settle a shaky quarterback situation. Ask the people in Denver and Miami, where Jake Plummer and Daunte Culpepper aren't exactly conjuring up images of the Hall of Famers they followed.

"I don't want him to go, but if he wants to be (traded), it's his choice," said Ron, a Madison cab driver. "He took us to two Super Bowls; I'll let him make his own decision."

It takes a trip to Wisconsin, to see the fans who live and die with No. 4, to appreciate what he means to the state.

It's Favre's decision, but hopefully, he'll let the fans make it for him.

-Joe Giovannetti is a journalism senior and assistant sports editor of The Daily Aztec.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
nice

He does have a point, Brett did have some very well placed nicely thrown balls last week. Some that astonished myself.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that guy is right on the money..

Brett is not the problem,, the whole rest of the team is, with some exceptions like Driver and Kampman..

And specially IMHO we have BIG HUGE problem in coaching, we have been clearly out coached and we have not been well prepared for the games.

If you have a young team you cant have a rookie coach in there, that might be a recipe for disaster, the whole team will loose confidence and some guys with talent will have their self confidence destroyed..

In the hands of a good coaching staff this team will look much better, see NO and Minni, rookie BUT TALENTED coaches... So far this is the truth.

I hope MM shows that he was a real diamong in the garbage and turns the team around, so far I havent seen the diamond in there.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if this winds up being Favres last year, will it be a dissapointment for Brett? Favre loves the challenge, loves the game, and loves the effort. The team may not win many games but that going down swingin', die tryin', and holding your head high while seeing the exit is exactly what Favre does. This year, so far, its been even more evident with level of play within his supporting cast. So the team loses. Favre will be trying with all his might giving 110% every loss,win,play,snap, and game. That's how you live your life, besides a football game. No...his last seasons will not be dissapointments, they will amplify his reason for being a first ballot hall of famer. Anyone seeking for TT to trade, AR to start, etc...are missing the point. Watching him play, and the effort and drive he demonstrates, is more experience for any player to absorb. You want to be good at your position? Just watch number 4 and emulate that in your position. The dissapointment will be when he's not here.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
Even if this winds up being Favres last year, will it be a dissapointment for Brett? Favre loves the challenge, loves the game, and loves the effort. The team may not win many games but that going down swingin', die tryin', and holding your head high while seeing the exit is exactly what Favre does. This year, so far, its been even more evident with level of play within his supporting cast. So the team loses. Favre will be trying with all his might giving 110% every loss,win,play,snap, and game. That's how you live your life, besides a football game. No...his last seasons will not be dissapointments, they will amplify his reason for being a first ballot hall of famer. Anyone seeking for TT to trade, AR to start, etc...are missing the point. Watching him play, and the effort and drive he demonstrates, is more experience for any player to absorb. You want to be good at your position? Just watch number 4 and emulate that in your position. The dissapointment will be when he's not here.

agreed, he gives 110% every time he walkes on to the field.

"i never setpped out onto the field or walked off a field where i didnt feel like i did everything i possibly could to be the best."

brett favre

Members online

Latest posts