The big Pass interference call against Gunter.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Towards the end of the Dallas game. Gunter against Dez...

Here is what I remember seeing... Gunter was running toward Dez, and turned around to look for the pass... Sure enough the pass is coming, and Gunter starts tracking the ball for the interception... Dez is standing stationary, jumps up early before the pass actually got there, and let Gunter run into him. All before the ball gets there...

Now. Correct me if im wrong.
When Gunter turned his head around, and started tracking the ball, he can not be flagged for incidental contact. Where as Dez has to become a defender in this situation, because Gunter has better position to make the catch. He elevates for no reason (early before the ball was getting there), and hits gunter on purpose. Knocking him down before the ball gets there...

To me, that's obvious offensive pass interference.......
Instead Gunter gets called and it allows Cowboys to convert 3rd and 8.

If anything it should have been incidental contact with both guys going for the ball, taking eachother out. Except Dez made the contact on purpose well before the ball getting there.....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter should have got his head around and intercepted it. He was in good position, just finished poorly

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter should have got his head around and intercepted it. He was in good position, just finished poorly
He ran into dez full speed and took himself and dez out before the ball got there...
that's what Im saying . he had his head turned all the way around looking at the ball coming right at him.... HOW is that def pass interference????

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he took Dez out. They will allow contact when you're playing the ball. At that pointhe wasn't. His head may have been turning back, but he was all over Bryant

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because he took Dez out. They will allow contact when you're playing the ball. At that pointhe wasn't. His head may have been turning back, but he was all over Bryant
When the CB turns his head, he has as much right to that ball as the WR. That's why they teach CBs to turn their head. True , they are usually running the same direction. But to put it in perspective, Say the CB has better position on the ball, and the WR takes out the CB while the CB is chasing the ball. That's offensive pass interference. This is the same situation. If Dez doesn't wipe out Gunter while he was going for the interception. Gunter catches it...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gunter plays the ball and dez takes him out I agree. But he didn't. He played the ball horribly. He should have had a pick, instead turned his head and mugged a receiver

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gunter plays the ball and dez takes him out I agree. But he didn't. He played the ball horribly. He should have had a pick, instead turned his head and mugged a receiver
I just watched the replay game.
Gunter turned his head very early, and located the ball. He was chasing the ball, and had a angle on it... He had better position to catch the ball. That's why I feel Dez took him out. The ball wasn't even there yet, and dez took him out. Gunter didn't see dez, but dez seen gunter. And again, gunter had better position. Dez was waiting for the ball, but he was also playing defense as soon as gunter went after the ball. And you cant jump into , and take out a guy who has been chasing the ball for quite a while. He was obviously tracking the ball, because he didn't see dez standing there ready to take a charging call on the b-ball court...

What happens when a CB just stands in front of a WR who is tracking a ball in the air, and takes him out? Easy def PI call. Why not the opposite in this situation?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Gunther didn't slow down or try to make a play towards the ball. He was leaning away and his momentum was taking him away from the ball. Dez was stopped and Gunther ran into him. Defensive PI. One of the few they actually called out of a host they could have.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He ran into dez full speed and took himself and dez out before the ball got there...
that's what Im saying . he had his head turned all the way around looking at the ball coming right at him.... HOW is that def pass interference????

Im not even sure how to respond. You even said it in your post. Gunter ran into Dez and took both himself and Dez out.

How is that NOT defensive pass interference?

Head turned or not. You can't mugg a reciever

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im not even sure how to respond. You even said it in your post. Gunter ran into Dez and took both himself and Dez out.

How is that NOT defensive pass interference?

Head turned or not. You can't mugg a reciever
When the head turns around the defender has just as much right to the ball as the WR. They technically cant even touch the WR until their head turns around. But after the defender turns around to look for the ball, they can bump into eachother, the refs allow hand slapping. If they get tripped up and fall, its incidental contact.....You see the difference?

Gunter was turned around for 10+ yards running to the ball, when him and Dez run into eachother, taking eachother out... MINIMUM it should have only been incidental contact.... BUT what Im saying is that Gunter didn't see him, but Dez seen him....... and Dez jumped into him... Why? Because Gunter had position. Gunter was between Dez and the ball, AND had his head around ready to catch it when they collided... Seems like offensive pass interference to me.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets put it in another scenario...

Say a CB is turned and tracking a bad pass like Gunter was...... The WR doesn't have position, so he has to turn into the defender..... The WR in turn LEVELS the CB about 2 steps before the pass gets to him.....

Is that offensive pass interference?

You see the parallels to the Gunter/Dez play?

Reaction score
When the CB turns his head, he has as much right to that ball as the WR. That's why they teach CBs to turn their head. True , they are usually running the same direction. But to put it in perspective, Say the CB has better position on the ball, and the WR takes out the CB while the CB is chasing the ball. That's offensive pass interference. This is the same situation. If Dez doesn't wipe out Gunter while he was going for the interception. Gunter catches it...
That's true but the only time I've seen a receiver get that reverse penalty call is IF the Defender is in clear position to catch or make a play on the ball and does NOT initiate contact with the Receiver until the ball is essentially Being caught by one or the other.
You can't run into a receiver or push off to get the ball BEFORE the ball makes contact with the receiver (except incidental contact)
In a jump ball case.. the receiver MUST be given an opportunity to catch it without interference before the ball is touched.
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/offensive-pass-interference/

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If gunter did some half way, last second turn around knowing he was going to run into dez, then yea. But Gunter was looking at the ball coming right at him, just like dez was. Only gunter had position...

Gunter ran into Dez blind, totally looking the other way. Not on purpose at all. Like I said, if anyone had any purpose, it was dez willing to go through Gunter to get to the ball... Cant do that.

Now dez was holding his position too. That's why it could have been incidental contact maybe... But like I said, Dez jumped up and into gunter well before the ball getting there. That could be interpreted as OPI...

D

Deleted member 6794

If gunter did some half way, last second turn around knowing he was going to run into dez, then yea. But Gunter was looking at the ball coming right at him, just like dez was. Only gunter had position...

Gunter ran into Dez blind, totally looking the other way. Not on purpose at all. Like I said, if anyone had any purpose, it was dez willing to go through Gunter to get to the ball... Cant do that.

Now dez was holding his position too. That's why it could have been incidental contact maybe... But like I said, Dez jumped up and into gunter well before the ball getting there. That could be interpreted as OPI...

While Gunter was looking at the ball for quite some time he actually didn´t play it but made contact with Bryant making it impossible for the receiver to catch the ball. Take at look at the moment Gunter interfered with the Cowboys receiver and it becomes abundantly clear that defensive pass interference was the correct call.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm actually glad they called it. If they hadn't, we'd have all the usual whiners crying about how the refs favored Green Bay and stole the game for them.

I suppose there will be some of that anyway.

Looked like a legit call to me.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm actually glad they called it. If they hadn't, we'd have all the usual whiners crying about how the refs favored Green Bay and stole the game for them.
Have you been reading around here since the game ended or any of the other football sites?
I suppose there will be some of that anyway.
Some??
Looked like a legit call to me.
At least you were paying attention and know the rules.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you been reading around here since the game ended or any of the other football sites?

Some??
At least you were paying attention and know the rules.

Some fans cry about the refereeing every time their team loses, some even when they win. I'm not talking about them, I'm talking about the more reasonable fans who don't complain a great deal unless something blatantly wrong occurs. By making the correct call, this was avoided.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Gunter was looking at the ball for quite some time he actually didn´t play it but made contact with Bryant making it impossible for the receiver to catch the ball. Take at look at the moment Gunter interfered with the Cowboys receiver and it becomes abundantly clear that defensive pass interference was the correct call.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I cant tell anything from that picture. Im not saying he didn't run into dez. because he did. What im saying is that he was turned and chasing the ball for 10 yards at least when him and dez crossed paths. But if you consider Gunter is in between the ball and Dez Id say he has position on the ball, and dez had to become the defender

The picture shows dez jumped off the ground WAY before the ball was there. Why jump? He jumped into Gunter in some sort of basketball move trying to draw the foul....But that's the wrong sport.
Now look at Gunter in the picture. Turned and running. Doesn't even see Dez... How is that PI? Dez took Gunter right out... When IMO, Gunter would have caught the ball. If Gunter had position and would have caught the ball, then dez is the defender.

I am talking in circles again. lol

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true but the only time I've seen a receiver get that reverse penalty call is IF the Defender is in clear position to catch or make a play on the ball and does NOT initiate contact with the Receiver until the ball is essentially Being caught by one or the other.
You can't run into a receiver or push off to get the ball BEFORE the ball makes contact with the receiver (except incidental contact)
In a jump ball case.. the receiver MUST be given an opportunity to catch it without interference before the ball is touched.
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/offensive-pass-interference/
I have seen WRs and defenders coming from different directions and wipe eachother out before the ball gets there. And its incidental contact because the defender was tracking the ball....

I read the comments above, and it seems the feeling is that Gunter wasn't going to intercept the pass. Also saying he did not have position on the ball... I did not see the play happen that way. This was one time Gunter turned very early and was in very good position to make a play on the ball... I mean he collided with dez way before the ball got there. Main point being he beat the ball to the spot, and was turned and ready to catch it.

To be fair. And Im not sure if this matters... The incident happened way before the ball got there... So we have a delema. Do we base the call on what actually happened (being that Gunter had position, head turned , and was going after the ball). Or do we speculate what would have happened and where, had they not collided? Opposing argument being that Dez would have caught the ball before Gunter, had they not collided....

I think it was incidental contact after a lot of thought. Both players were going after the ball, and they collided.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what we've come to? Complaining about a pretty cut n dry PI penalty?

Put it this way. If it happened to any of our WRs and a flag WASN'T thrown this board would be livid and rightfully so

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what we've come to? Complaining about a pretty cut n dry PI penalty?

Put it this way. If it happened to any of our WRs and a flag WASN'T thrown this board would be livid and rightfully so
I still don't think it was PI. Im kind of surprised everyone feels so strongly that it was. he doesn't turn his head around, or turns it last second? then yea, cut and dry. but it wasn't like that.

Not complaining. debating if it was a correct call or not. I don't think it was.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think it was PI. Im kind of surprised everyone feels so strongly that it was. he doesn't turn his head around, or turns it last second? then yea, cut and dry. but it wasn't like that.

Not complaining. debating if it was a correct call or not. I don't think it was.

The reason why your getting people disagreeing is because your effectively arguing that as long as the defender gets his head turned around in time that he then is allowed to run into the WR or should be allowed to...... It was PI

Members online