1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Best player you never heard of just died.

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by ivo610, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Cookie Gilchrist just passed away this January and I thought I would post a few things on him and his impact to the game itself. Cookie was a big character before their were characters as we know them in football. He was also one hell of a running back. At one point he held the record for most yards in a game when he rushed for 243 yards and 5 TDs. Here is a video of his playing days, take a look.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-VeROi5kA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Cookie Gilchrist Remembers (2004)[/ame]

Cookie also fought racism in his own way. From the 5th down blog.

For all his on-field accomplishments, Gilchrist should perhaps be best remembered for his role in the boycott of the A.F.L. All-Star Game after the 1964 season, originally scheduled for Tulane Stadium in still-segregated New Orleans. The Hall of Fame offensive tackle Ron Mix explained: “The black players were having a hard time getting cabs from the airport. Cab drivers wouldn’t pick them up. Then, when they went out to try and get food, they were turned away from all the restaurants.” (Ken Rappoport, “The Little League that Could: A History of the American Football League)

All 21 black players who were scheduled to play in the game met at the Roosevelt Hotel. These were some of the biggest names in football at that time, including Bobby Bell, Willie Brown, Winston Hill, Clem Daniels and Ernie Ladd. Mix urged them to play the game in New Orleans to bring national attention to the situation, but they refused. “No, it’s gone too far,” Gilchrist said. “We’re not going to play in this town. Time to take a stand.” (Rappoport)

One day later, A.F.L. Commissioner Joe Foss announced that the game would be moved to Jeppesen Stadium in Houston. Mix believes that the boycott helped desegregate New Orleans, paving the way for the N.F.L. to expand there in 1967. “They knew now they weren’t (going) to get an N.F.L. franchise unless they desegregated the city,” Mix was quoted as saying in Rappoport’s book. “That’s what they did. It was desegregated ahead of schedule.”

Cookie Gilchrist, Punishing Runner Who Took Stand Against Racism - NYTimes.com

I might add more on cookie later on but here is another article from the NY times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/sports/11gilchrist.html?_r=1

2. SyX

SyX Stranger in a strange land

Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks for the post. I knew the name from the one time single game rushing record, but very little else about him.

3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    In the final week of the 1964 season, the Buffalo Bills faced the Boston Patriots at Fenway Park for the A.F.L.’s eastern division title. On the first play from scrimmage, Bills fullback Cookie Gilchrist carried on a sweep to the left. Instead of cutting it back for a few more yards, he ran straight at the cornerback coming up to force the play back inside, Chuck Shonta. Gilchrist hit Shonta with such force that he knocked him unconscious. He wasn’t done. As he walked past the Patriots defensive huddle, he asked, as reported by the longtime Buffalo sportswriter Larry Felser in “The Birth of the New NFL”, “Which one of you (guys) is next?” (That’s the sanitized version.)

4. Packerfan303

Packerfan303 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rip! i didnt hear anything about this even on my espn feed :(

5. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    R.I.P. Cookie!!! My thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones. Thank you for making football a better place today. God Speed you to football heaven.

6. Pegger Packer

Pegger Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +114
    For my University's student newspaper, I was working on a Sports article chronicling some memorable moments from the storied history of Canadian Football. While looking through newspaper archives for information on an infamous incident that happened during the 1957 Grey Cup (in which a disgruntled and drunken football fan sweet talked his way past security and right onto the Winnipeg sideline of the field, managed to trip a Hamilton player who was about to return an interception for a touchdown), I found this picture of Cookie Gilchrist scoring a touchdown for Hamilton. Hamilton won the game and the Grey Cup 32-7. Decided to scan the image after reading about him here, and thought someone here might be interested to see it!

Attached Files: