The Beer Sport

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Have you ever tasted Calvedos ??? About 10 years ago, my friend and I did a second world war battlefield tour in France, Normandy to be exact. Four of us drank three bottles of calvados between us. Usually if I get drunk, my top lip goes numb, that night my WHOLE FACE went numb :eek:. Even now the mere thought of the stuff makes my mouth water in that bad way before you`re ill, and I start sweating.....lol Evil stuff indeed !!

I love Calvedos also. A couple of breweries scored some barrels of Calvedos and aged their beer in the Calvedos barrels. Turned out magnificient.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I found out this week that IPAs give me heartburn. So I'm sticking with my Guinness. I don't know why they gave me heartburn, but they did, every time.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I found out this week that IPAs give me heartburn. So I'm sticking with my Guinness. I don't know why they gave me heartburn, but they did, every time.

That's a shame mate :eek:. I`ve found that several pints of any beer gives me a headache...lol Seriously though in Vegas a few years ago I had three bottles of Budweiser only.......woke up with the hangover from hell !!! I never touched the stuff ever again.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
That's a shame mate :eek:. I`ve found that several pints of any beer gives me a headache...lol Seriously though in Vegas a few years ago I had three bottles of Budweiser only.......woke up with the hangover from hell !!! I never touched the stuff ever again.

Even 3 pints of bitter will do you in?

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Spent the past 2 weeks in Cancun.. lovely place. Beers kinda ***** over there though, although after a few days of drinking Dos Equis XX, Tecate?, and Corona... i discovered Dos Equis XX Amber... actually not too bad for a beer or lager, darker color and half decent tasting, compared to the other stuff i'd tried at least.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Spent the past 2 weeks in Cancun.. lovely place. Beers kinda ***** over there though, although after a few days of drinking Dos Equis XX, Tecate?, and Corona... i discovered Dos Equis XX Amber... actually not too bad for a beer or lager, darker color and half decent tasting, compared to the other stuff i'd tried at least.

Wow, from Wolverhampton to Cancun. Quite the journey.

Yeah, Mexican beer is crap. Dos Equis Amber and ***** Modelo are the only beers worth sipping, and still they aren't great. Mexico is much more famous for Tequila (I pronounce it Te-Kill-Ya), which I won't drink EVER. Nasty stuff.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England

Yeah, Mexican beer is crap. Dos Equis Amber and ***** Modelo are the only beers worth sipping, and still they aren't great. Mexico is much more famous for Tequila (I pronounce it Te-Kill-Ya), which I won't drink EVER. Nasty stuff.

Yeah, just the 10 hour flight.
And you're not wrong about Tequila.. its rough.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

They used to have a "beer night" at the retirees home where my wife worked. The old folks used to always tell her; "Don't serve us any of that Mexican sh*t".

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
@mhnessie

I found this when clearing out my grandmothers house no that we have to sell her house. I only know that this bottle had been packed away for a LONG LONG time. Do you know anything about this? History of it? Still made today? Bottle worth anything? All I can tell it was an old wine.

It's called "Liebfraumilch". Love of Mothers Milk???

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
@mhnessie

I found this when clearing out my grandmothers house no that we have to sell her house. I only know that this bottle had been packed away for a LONG LONG time. Do you know anything about this? History of it? Still made today? Bottle worth anything? All I can tell it was an old wine.

I'm not a wine expert but as much as I know this is a "low quality" white wine, nothing special.
Bottle looks nice but I dont think the bottle is worth anything but I honestly dont know.
On the wine label I can see its from Bingen, Rhein-Hessen, one of our largest wine regions, mostly known for white wines like Riesling or Grauburgunder (pinot gris). Strange name it is, "Liebfrauenmilch", it would translate it "Beloved lady's milk"...whatever that means :rolleyes::D
Have never seen it in German stores, looks like its mostly made for overseas export.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
@mhnessie

You can still buy that wine in our wine shops. It's really inexpensive. But I haven't seen a bottle like that for a while.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
I'm not a wine expert but as much as I know this is a "low quality" white wine, nothing special.
Bottle looks nice but I dont think the bottle is worth anything but I honestly dont know.
On the wine label I can see its from Bingen, Rhein-Hessen, one of our largest wine regions, mostly known for white wines like Riesling or Grauburgunder (pinot gris). Strange name it is, "Liebfrauenmilch", it would translate it "Beloved lady's milk"...whatever that means :rolleyes::D
Have never seen it in German stores, looks like its mostly made for overseas export.

Ok Thanks. Just wanted to be sure I didn't have some sort of buried treasure before I threw it away. :p

The bottle is from 1970, so I wasn't sure what I had.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

Perhaps "Beloved lady's milk" is the equivalent of what we call a really good drink when we say it is "Mother's milk." This is a term my best friend and I use for Guinness. "Mother's milk" and "The Nectar of the Gods"

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Perhaps "Beloved lady's milk" is the equivalent of what we call a really good drink when we say it is "Mother's milk." This is a term my best friend and I use for Guinness. "Mother's milk" and "The Nectar of the Gods"

Quite possibly true.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
What would be the best Southern German beer available in the U.S.? Paulaner?

Paulaner, Weihenstephan, Hacker-Pschoor, and Ayinger I would say would be the top selections available in the USA. I think of all those I prefer Paulaner the most, followed by Ayinger, Hacker-Pschoor and Weihenstephan.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paulaner, Weihenstephan, Hacker-Pschoor, and Ayinger I would say would be the top selections available in the USA. I think of all those I prefer Paulaner the most, followed by Ayinger, Hacker-Pschoor and Weihenstephan.
Isnt Franziskaner available in the US ? Beside Weihenstephan my top choice for Weizenbier/Wheat beer !

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Isnt Franziskaner available in the US ? Beside Weihenstephan my top choice for Weizenbier/Wheat beer !

Yes it is. I seem to like Franzi the 5th best of those choices. But perhaps my opinion is not part of the majority as I know a lot of Ami's love Franziskaner. For me, I still prefer all Paulaner biers, including their Roggenbier. I like rye.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Not tried any of those, but the most appealing looks 'Hopslam' if i were to pick one.

I've had the Bells Hopslam. It's one of the beers I agree with on the list. The Alesmith Speedway Stout is freaking amazing. I have a few bottles in my fridge. One from 2010... already 4 years old...

Other beers I love on the list.

#16 Hürlimann's Samichlaus
#14 Deschutes Brewery's The Abyss
#9 Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout
#7 Russian River's Pliny the Elder
#2 Three Floyds Brewing's Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout
#1 Westvleteren's 12

Members online

Latest posts