The Beer Sport

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Ok, so Beer isn't a sport... then again, if NASCAR is a sport then so is beer so it goes here.

Upon my trip to Germany, one of my stops was Hamburg/St. Pauli area.

A rather new trend in Germany is growing... CRAFT BEER. Something that started in the early 90's in America is now starting to creep into German Brewers minds. Baby steps for German Brewers as brewing beer is rooted deep in tradition and history for the Germans.

http://altes-maedchen.de/

However, a relatively new craft brewery/restaurant has opened in Hamburg, going by the name of Altes Mädchen. The brewery go by the name of Ratsherrn.

http://www.ratsherrn.de/index.php/biere

My first beer here was the Ratsherrn Pale Ale. I've have very few German Pale Ales before (2 or 3), and none of them were very good, so my expectations were low before I tried the beer. I was in the company of a Hamburger, so I thought I would try to find something nice to say about this beer if it wasn't very good. Well, to my surprise, this Pale Ale had quite a nice hop aroma. So far so good. After the first sip, I could tell right away they used the correct type of hops to give off the typical and wanted citrusy flavors the Pale Ale requires. I was happy with delight that I could say this beer was actually quite excellent without lying.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sorry the photo got blurred. Took it from my picture phone and it looked ok at first.

Ratsherrn also has a Pils, Rotbier, special Pils, and a seasonal. Much to my delight, they had a Maibock. A favorite style of mine. The Springbock was quite delicious and was more malt based than hop based. I prefer the more hop based Maibocks, but this was very clean and tasty. A big thumbs up for the Altes Mädchen.

After a little tour of the city, the next stop was Brauhaus Am Hafen... on the Harbor. This place is rather huge, with lots of open seating and an upstairs as well. I went with the German style Weizen and was rather pleased how good it was. Don't know too much about the history of this place, but its a nice place to go if you are near the harbor.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Nessie.... see if you can find this one at your local craft beer shop. It was quite tasty.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
And the best Pils and Smoked beer in the world can be found in Bamberg.

The Herron Pils from Keesman Braurei

Spezial Rauchbier from Spezial. Perfection in a glass.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmmmm......not sure what to expect from a "Bacon Maple Ale" named "Voodoo Doughnut" :cautious::D
But I'll try one if they have it in store here.
Havent seen Rauchbier in this part of the country so far, will try to get me one as well.
The "Brauhaus am Hafen" you mentioned is pretty new and was opened by Mr. Block who runs a Steakhouse chain (Block House) , a couple Burger Restaurants (Jim Block) and one of the best hotels in Hamburg. (The Grand Elysee).
Indeed another example for the growing market for Micro Breweries and craft beer.
Sandolf might know "Block House" from his time in Hamburg... ;)

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
They do look great, all bar the Doughnut beer :laugh:

In Wolverhampton theres 3 real ale pubs that i go to on a matchday. Real pubs, selling beers that put hairs on your chest, and they dont serve food, other than pork pies and scratchings.

Perfect way to set up a matchday.

I'll explain the Vodoo Doughnut. The "bacon" comes solely from smoking the malt. You'll notice that bacon is typically smoked, so the flavor is the same. They added some maple to the base beer after fermentation. The base beer was like an amber ale. So the beer had some smokiness and sweetness to it, hence the name Bacon Maple Ale.

I like real ales a lot... from the hand pump. I prefer bitters that have a nice hop presence. Although I love Porters as well.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Hmmmmm......not sure what to expect from a "Bacon Maple Ale" named "Voodoo Doughnut" :cautious::D
But I'll try one if they have it in store here.
Havent seen Rauchbier in this part of the country so far, will try to get me one as well.
The "Brauhaus am Hafen" you mentioned is pretty new and was opened by Mr. Block who runs a Steakhouse chain (Block House) , a couple Burger Restaurants (Jim Block) and one of the best hotels in Hamburg. (The Grand Elysee).
Indeed another example for the growing market for Micro Breweries and craft beer.
Sandolf might know "Block House" from his time in Hamburg... ;)

I think you'll find the Rauchbier only in the Bamberg area, or in the surrounding Frankonia area.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Cheerz Nessie! a good one btw may your team stay up for at least another 50. :tup:

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
When visiting the city of Köln (Cologne), your beer experience will consist of Kölschbier or simply Kölsch. Sure, its possible when visiting a bar to get a Pils of some sort, but when you are here you should drink like the Kölner.

Kölsch differs from a lager because it is warm fermented although still using a clean lager yeast. The color of Kölsch is like a straw yellow and has a nice bready aroma and taste with slight subtle fruitiness from the warm fermentation.

Kölsch is served in a tall, thin glass called a Stange. Every Kölsch brewery served their Kölsch in a Stange.

My favorite is Früh Kölsch. Other breweries include Gaffel, Reissdorf, Gilden, Malzmuhle, Peters Kolsch, and Sion.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
In rather direct competition in both soccer and bier, Düsseldorf produces a style of beer called Altbier. In similar fashion like Kölsch, Altbiers are fermented even warmer using a lager yeast. Altbier uses darker malts for color and flavor, and uses rather judicious hops for a stern bitterness. The warmer fermentation temperatures gives the beer a nutty flavor with a good hop bitterness, yet still have that clean lager flavor. Altbiers are also served in Stange's.

My 2 favorite Altbiers are Zum Uerige and Schumacher. Im Füchschen is also a nice Altbier.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
When visiting the city of Köln (Cologne), your beer experience will consist of Kölschbier or simply Kölsch. Sure, its possible when visiting a bar to get a Pils of some sort, but when you are here you should drink like the Kölner.

Kölsch differs from a lager because it is warm fermented although still using a clean lager yeast. The color of Kölsch is like a straw yellow and has a nice bready aroma and taste with slight subtle fruitiness from the warm fermentation.

Kölsch is served in a tall, thin glass called a Stange. Every Kölsch brewery served their Kölsch in a Stange.

My favorite is Früh Kölsch. Other breweries include Gaffel, Reissdorf, Gilden, Malzmuhle, Peters Kolsch, and Sion.
And it has to be the small, 0,2 litre glass (Stange) if you want to drink it the traditional way !;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

:) Is this thread specifically about beer ??? I`m all for that myself. I drink and collect beers from all over Europe and recently the U.S.
The Goose Island brewery in Chicago produce some superb beers I`d seriously recommend .

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
:) Is this thread specifically about beer ??? I`m all for that myself. I drink and collect beers from all over Europe and recently the U.S.
The Goose Island brewery in Chicago produce some superb beers I`d seriously recommend .

Yeah, I guess it's specifically about beer. I only come to the "All other Sports" forum so I decided to put this thread here, even tho beer isn't a sport, its what you drink when watching sports. :D

Nice Pick Buggy! Goose Island produces some fine beers. Honkers Ale is the classic beer for them, but their specialty beer, "Bourbon County Stout" is one amazing beer. Their IPA and Endless IPA's are both good.

They also produce a line of Belgian-style beers. Sofie, Matilda, Pepe Nero and Pere Jacques are all nice beers.

You are English correct?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`ve tasted most of them as I have an amazing off license store near me which stocks numerous beers which can be a little bit on the expensive side because of import tax etc. I don`t know which one he keeps trying to get me to buy for £17 a bottle but that is a little too expensive for my wallet and budget...lol

Looking at the photos of the beers made me smile as my wife used to think I was just plain nuts photographing each beer I`d tasted or bought. I guess I`m not as crazy as she thought.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I`ve tasted most of them as I have an amazing off license store near me which stocks numerous beers which can be a little bit on the expensive side because of import tax etc. I don`t know which one he keeps trying to get me to buy for £17 a bottle but that is a little too expensive for my wallet and budget...lol

Looking at the photos of the beers made me smile as my wife used to think I was just plain nuts photographing each beer I`d tasted or bought. I guess I`m not as crazy as she thought.

You probly are crazy Bill but theres more of us here. :cool:

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
@mhnessie

Off-beer topic.

How's your pronunciation of the word "Squirrel"? Germans have a hard time saying it.

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
In a bit of fair play, Canadians can't say the German name for squirrel... "Eichhörnchen"

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
@mhnessie
Off-beer topic.
How's your pronunciation of the word "Squirrel"? Germans have a hard time saying it.
Never noticed that many of us have a hard time with saying "squirrel", I dont have any problem with this word but there are many other words instead :rolleyes::D
But I certainly understand that native English speakers have a hard time with ä, ö or ü :D
Must be terrible.....

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Never noticed that many of us have a hard time with saying "squirrel", I dont have any problem with this word but there are many other words instead :rolleyes::D
But I certainly understand that native English speakers have a hard time with ä, ö or ü :D
Must be terrible.

I'm getting better at it, although I struggled a little at first. Just had to keep repeating the sounds over and over, and then it got easier. :D

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess it's specifically about beer. I only come to the "All other Sports" forum so I decided to put this thread here, even tho beer isn't a sport, its what you drink when watching sports. :D

Nice Pick Buggy! Goose Island produces some fine beers. Honkers Ale is the classic beer for them, but their specialty beer, "Bourbon County Stout" is one amazing beer. Their IPA and Endless IPA's are both good.

Kentucky Breakfast Stout

dog fish head 120 min IPA

Find these two--

OP
OP
Bundesbiers

Bundesbiers

1. FC Eintracht Bamberg
Reaction score
Kentucky Breakfast Stout

dog fish head 120 min IPA

Find these two--

2 amazing beers. I love both of them.

I can't get Kentucky Breakfast Stout in Las Vegas, but I have had it before. Lovely beer. It's hard to go wrong with Dogfish head, especially if you like experimental beers.

Members online

Latest posts