The Ball First, Or Choice Of Direction.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what the wind will be like on Sunday? So that may be a factor to look at for who wins the coin toss.

The question I have is this, if wind is not a factor:

If the packers win the coin toss do you want the "D" to make the first statement and set the tone of the game, or should the Packers choose to Receive the kick-off and let Brett set the tone of the game.

I say... Kick it. The "D" will be fired up. Shake up Manning early 3 and out.

RP

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
whoever wins the toss always picks receive. It's SoP.

What is SoP ???

Standard Operating Procedure.

I'd like to let our defense start the game, and the only way that happens is if the other team wins the coin toss.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Come on RP...you gotta take the ball.

Yah? We took the ball last week and were down 14 points in 4 minutes.

That's the whole point! What are the odds of it happening 2 games in a row?

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
tromadz said:
whoever wins the toss always picks receive. It's SoP.

What is SoP ???

Standard Operating Procedure.

I'd like to let our defense start the game, and the only way that happens is if the other team wins the coin toss.

If the Packers win the toss they have a choice. Field position or Possesion.

It is time to change the standard Operating Procedure.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It happens quite often that the team who wins the toss will chose the direction, that is if there is wind. Otherwise they chose to Kick or Receive.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when's the last time that happened?

Didn't Billick do that in an overtime game, and said "hey, you guys have the ball, after all, it's windy and cold. burrr!"

Yeah, during the Tornado Bowl vs. the Bears a couple weeks ago, did the winner of the coin toss decide to choose direction?

You win the coin toss, you receive. Just the way it is 99% of the time.

So C'mon Eli, be a winner SOMEHOW in that game and win the coin toss you little monkey.

Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Yah? We took the ball last week and were down 14 points in 4 minutes.

RP, I think you'll agree that the Giants are by far a more dangerous running team than a passing team.

If the Packers can get out to an early lead, right away you put some pressure on the Giants to pass more than they would like. You put the game in Eli's hands, make him become more of a play maker than game manager.

That's when he is susceptible to making bad plays, namely INTs.

You have to receive, with the hope being you score on your first drive and then soon after, getting out to a two TD lead (maybe three TD lead if things are really clicking on all 3 phases).

I will admit the Giants rushing attack worries me, and scoring early and reasonably often will limit the damage the Giants would do running the ball.

joym13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take the ball. IMO, part of the problem in the Tornado Bowl is that Favre stood on the sidelines during that opening Bear drive in his helmet and no jacket and got cold! Keep him warm on the field of play I say - cool Eli off!

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been a big fan of deferring if you win the coin toss. The defense can come out all pumped up, attacking the opposing offense in a hostile environment. Then you get the ball in the 2nd half, which could allow for 2 straight posessions.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I never understood why more teams don't defer. However AADP brought up some interesting points. I think getting ahead earlier will be a key to success. Manning leading a comeback against our defense and running game seems highly unlikely. I say we take the ball, get an early lead, and force manning to play big in bad conditions on one of the biggest stages.

Yeah, I like those odds. =)

OP
OP
R

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you all remember.....

The wind in Chicago was not an issue as far as choosing to receive or kick. The wind in Chicago was gusting horrible across the field, not from end zone to end zone.

It was gusting From the lake to the Packers Bench.

The Bears were sitting pretty on their bench. The packers bench was getting blasted.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the wind is a non issue, I think we'll elect to receive...but like MassPackersFan said, I'd like to see our D out there first, force a stop, then go put 7 on the board on the first drive of the 2nd half. Think it's pretty much a non issue though

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if the wind is not a factor the cold will be a factor for the kicking game. Any time they punt or kickoff the ball is not going to travel as far.

That said it only counts for one series unless your team can score and kickoff again. After that it sort of evens out.

If you are going to consider deferring vs taking the ball right away you then have to ask if you want the ball (and wind such as it) is in the 3rd quarter and try and build up a lead or have the wind in the 4th quarter to facilitate a comeback if needed.

"We want the ball and we are going to win (score)."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll defer and take the ball to start the 2nd half. Make those halftime adjustments and stick it to em'.

I am with you on this..Normally I say take the ball, but I like to see what their offense can do right away

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It happens quite often that the team who wins the toss will chose the direction, that is if there is wind. Otherwise they chose to Kick or Receive.

Win the coin toss, you can have them kick to you then you get to say what side of the field you want? Correct?

Or is it you lose the toss no matter what... you get to choose the side you want??

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on this - http://www.weather.com/outlook/events/nfl/gameforecast/54344?eventid=239438

At the moment the wind is supposed to be blowing at 14 mph from one corner to the other, diagionally across the field.

Toddy, I wouldn't put too much trust in what that website says.

I think I've heard like three different forecasts with respect to wind. One said 4-5 mph, another say around 9-10 mph, and then there is this 14 mph one.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for clever strategy, thinking outside the box etc etc. However, aren't we forgetting that just because you elect to take direction over the ball at the beginning of the game doesn't get you the opposite after the half. The team that loses the toss gets the 2nd half choice don't they? Give them the ball to start off and you're giving them the ball to start the Q3 as well...

Double-checked and found the rule here

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts