1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Bad & The Ugly of the 2010 Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by armand34, Aug 17, 2010.

1. armand34

armand34 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +297
    Ok, Let's start with the BAD...

DLINE-does look strong, RAJI ,PICKETT, JENKINS, looks nice, but who is behind them, ROOKIE NEAL,ROOKIE WILSON,2nd year WYNN, and my favorite first round pick HARREL

Secondary
    -we just got a whole lot younger & inexperienced

Special Teams-another punter prospect and undecided on a return man

The UGLY...

Running Game-3rd & 1, 4th & 1, or goal line...guess who is getting the ball? NOT GRANT it'll be Kuhn or Hall at Fullback, b/c Grant can't get his pad level low enough to plow through, this has been a missing piece for a LONG TIME...1200 back to back doesn't say anything to me, we need a between the tackles runner that get that short yardage when we need it and the defense knows it.

Return Man-it's obvious that NO BODY knows who will be that guy, that's a big deal, and it's like this every year, if we don't have someone that can give us decent field position, it effects everything on offense and makes the packers very predictable in their play selection

DB's- if it's bad, it's also a little ugly against the browns, I know that pass rush directly effects the DB's but it works both ways, if the coverage can hold up for a half a second longer, it could make all the difference, al harris, I love him against the run, i don't like him in coverage, and coming off of a knee, it's a shame, but he may not have much left to offer, bigby, lotta experience and plays through injury, but he is not effective,...........Burnett, Lee, and Underwood going to get a lot of playing time in this season, that is kind of scary....almost half of our secondary is going to be unproven and inexperienced....in a year where we are supposed to be a contender...not brimming with confidence

please comment on this, love to hear what everyone else thinks, agree or disagree let's hear it

2. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    I have the same concerns, but I put the 3rd and 4th and short on the o-line more than the backs. The o line hasn't been able to dominate anyone. This has been a huge weakness since McCarthy arrived, and I put a lot of it on Campen, who hasn't been shown to figure out who should play, and where they should play.

The defenses of today have the primary job of stopping the pass--the old adage that defense starts by stopping the run is no longer valid. It is the passing game that decides the outcomes of most contests, and it is the pass rush that will most disturb the passing game by getting it out of sync. If the Browns' game is any indication, we haven't developed a rush good enough to bother even mediocre QBs, let alone the good ones. This is the thing that bothers me the most about the coming season. It's too early to panic , but someone has to step up to Matthew's level in generating pressure on the QB or it will be a very long season.

[​IMG]

3. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Wooo No Mention Of Mason :D I agree with your list
    HARREL seems more like a waste, if he doesnt get on the playing field this year I would release him

4. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    retired

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Special Teams is my biggest concern.

6. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,791
    I still think it's too early to tell or it's hard to judge just based on one game. A preseason one at that.
    The coaches will look at what works and what doesn't and who to cut and who to keep.
    Give it a few weeks and we will have the best team for 2010 where we don't have it now.

7. NYPacker

NYPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Your analysis in the short yardage situation is spot on. I don't think Grant is one of those feature backs that will grind out that extra yard to give us a first down. I think this is also a reason why we kept 3 FBs last season, we need one of those tougher backs that can penetrate to the next level in a goal line or 1 yard situation.

I hope I'm not violating any rules or copyrights as I found this analysis from a guy named Waldo on another forum on his take of the preseason game. A really nice read: NFL Forum :: - Post Game Observations

8. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    ST: Browns were #1 ST last year, we #31. It was supposed to struggle. Add the fact that we didn't use a cohesive ST unit, rather we put every 80-man player out there... The coaches weren't trying to get production out of ST, rather see which guys played well.

DL: really not a problem. The 3 you mentioned are very good, and Neal was VERY good in that game. He looks like a beast.

Pass D: The problem was that the DBs were giving too much cushion to the receivers. Commenters at cheeseheadtv.com made some very good points:
    1) Tackling. The Packers have been stressing tackling this offseason. Playing with a cushion could be a way to test that.
    2) Communication. They could be playing like this so that Burnett gets more time to get used to calling plays.
    3) Injuries. They also could be playing off the receivers to lessen the risk of injuries.
    Now, they played the same way last year, and it drove me mad. But IMHO you have to consider those possibilities before jumping to any conclusions.

About the short yardage: Quinn Johnson: Unleashed | Packers Lounge

About the return man: It's a problem. At PR, Blackmon, when healthy, is a proven commodity. But at KR, we have noone. Would like the coaches to put Dillon in there, as he did it, with success, in college.

And about the DBs, individually, they did well. Underwood played very well. Lee did ok. Martin played well. In preseason, you evaluate individuals, and not the team.

------------

Oh, one more thing about the Cleveland game: They gameplanned. It's not that they didn't play vanilla, THEY SPECIFICALLY GAMEPLANNED AGAINST US. Starting with quick throws from bunch formations? They knew it was our weakness and they gameplanned. They needed the morale boost. We know what we have. So take everything with a grain of salt.